Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT: Issues since line upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Samba wrote: »
    My line was upgraded today

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512

SN Margin (dB) 10.00 15.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 30.50 13.50

CRC Errors 8 1

307086011.png

The line is constantly fluctuating speeds ping however is pretty stable at 44ms.

While my line is fine for pretty much anything.... I want what was promised not a half assed 8mb line along with a lame excuse.

I fail to see how they promised you a full 8mbit? They provide what they can depending on line quality and contention ratio. From your stats your line isn't good enough for the full speed and from the speedtest you posted your line isn't performing much less than the optimum for a line connecting at 6.1mbit when overheads are taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I fail to see how they promised you a full 8mbit? They provide what they can depending on line quality and contention ratio. From your stats your line isn't good enough for the full speed and from the speedtest you posted your line isn't performing much less than the optimum for a line connecting at 6.1mbit when overheads are taken off.

But that's precisely what they did. I was informed of an upgrade today my line was essentially downgraded. Now im going to have to revert back.

How many other customers are going to be in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I got a leaflet (lost the damn thing) in the post several weeks ago from BT promising a speed upgrade on my line. I am signed up to the 2MB package, so what speed am I supposed to be going to for no extra cost? You guys seem to have had the upgrade already - is this nationwide?

Not sure exactly where my phone exchange is but I live in Barna, Co. Galway, most of the time I get around 1.7-8 Mbit/s download.

My router is a BT supplied P-660.

Any help would be most apprieciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I got a leaflet (lost the damn thing) in the post several weeks ago from BT promising a speed upgrade on my line. I am signed up to the 2MB package, so what speed am I supposed to be going to for no extra cost? You guys seem to have had the upgrade already - is this nationwide?.

The 2mbit package is going up to 3mbit unless you live near one of the llu exchanges (listed here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

i was on 3mb and the line was rock solid no problems, fine pings etc.
    then i was upgraded to 8mb, now i get:

- disconnection overnight at 12 and some times at peek time.
    - bad pings
    - youtube stalling
    - downloads just stopping.
    - modem syncs at 8mb down but speedtest.net shows never more than about 4-5 mb down.

its disappointing cause the service used to be top notch. now there talking about upgrading to 24 mb ?? i will be live that when it happens.

anyone else get the midnight drop ? you might not notice as your modem probably re connects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

It doesn't look like I've been upgraded at all !!

Still syncing at 3072 down 384 up.. How can this be??

Bettystown Exchange.

rrolfe wrote: »
    i was on 3mb and the line was rock solid no problems, fine pings etc.
    then i was upgraded to 8mb, now i get:

- disconnection overnight at 12 and some times at peek time.
    - bad pings
    - youtube stalling
    - downloads just stopping.
    - modem syncs at 8mb down but speedtest.net shows never more than about 4-5 mb down.

its disappointing cause the service used to be top notch. now there talking about upgrading to 24 mb ?? i will be live that when it happens.

anyone else get the midnight drop ? you might not notice as your modem probably re connects
    You won't get 24 megabits, that's only for the small number of BT LLU exchanges. If you're having problems then either try disconnecting all the devices from your line, phones, fax machines, filters etc and see if the problems persist. If they do, downgrade your package, you'll go back to 3 megabit for less than you paid before.

My line seems to have settled down. I fired up the PC which is connected directly to the modem and speeds were a solid 640k.

I was quite surprised as from my machine connected via wireless my speeds were fluctuating wildly.

This is very strange.

On the machine connected via wireless I cannot exceed 300k on http downloads.

Any other form of download I can now sustain solid speeds of 600+ but once i try http download I can't exceed 300 k from the machine connecting to the router via wireless but from the exact same server I can achieve twice the speeds from the machine connected via lan.

Anyone have an idea what might be the cause of this? The receiever is achieving correct speeds just not via http.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

Samba wrote: »
    My line seems to have settled down. I fired up the PC which is connected directly to the modem and speeds were a solid 640k.

I was quite surprised as from my machine connected via wireless my speeds were fluctuating wildly.

This is very strange.

On the machine connected via wireless I cannot exceed 300k on http downloads.

Any other form of download I can now sustain solid speeds of 600+ but once i try http download I can't exceed 300 k from the machine connecting to the router via wireless but from the exact same server I can achieve twice the speeds from the machine connected via lan.

Anyone have an idea what might be the cause of this? The receiever is achieving correct speeds just not via http.

check the speed your getting on the wifi connection. wifi in general is rubbish at moving large files around.

rrolfe wrote: »
    check the speed your getting on the wifi connection. wifi in general is rubbish at moving large files around.

I did im getting solid 600+ out of any other form of download other than HTTP.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5070 kbps (633.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 421 kbps (52.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

53ms via magnet speed test

• Advertisement

Maybe the channel your router is set to is congested? I know in my estate its impossible to get a clear channel on the wireless so I have my PC wired up and only use the wireless for the laptop, then I get delayed and dropped packets due to interference.

Use Network Stumbler or something similar to see which channels are in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I've been upgraded too, in westport.

No difference though still 3mb but pings have jumped liked everybody else

i used to get a steady 15-17ms to boards.ie
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 54ms, Average = 53ms

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=59

Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 52ms

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=59

Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 54ms, Average = 52ms

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=59

Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 51ms

C:\Windows\system32>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    53 ms    53 ms    52 ms  bas506.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.242]
      3   163 ms   203 ms   200 ms  vlan500.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.124]
      4    52 ms    52 ms    55 ms  vlan51.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.137]
      5    53 ms   145 ms    52 ms  ge0-0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
      6   121 ms    55 ms    96 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      7    65 ms    53 ms    95 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Experienced 3 disconnects in a row on BT, 24hours after experiencing the same

Anybody else seen this ? :(

DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)Protocol:G.DMTDownstream Rate:7616 kbps Upstream Rate:672 kbps Channel:InterleavedCurrent Noise Margin:13.0 dB (Downstream), 13.0 db (Upstream)Current Attenuation:33.0 dB (Downstream), 23.0 db (Upstream)Current Output Power:18.3 dB (Downstream), 3.5 db (Upstream)DSLAM Vendor Information:Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}PVC Info:8/35

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Speedtest.net isn't showing full speed for anything really, it has never done for me anyway.

If you want to see how good your conx is, download something from HEAnet.

I downloaded Damn Small Linux (its like 50mb?) took 2 minutes. Got 822kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

I have a Zyxel P-600 does anyone know if its ADSL or ADSL2+ modem ?
    I think it might be Just ADSL as it is old and I have not received an upgrade today :(

My one says "Zyxel Prestige 600" on the front but that's the series rather than the model number. Have a look at the sticker on the bottom of the box. If it's a "P-623R-T1" like the one Esat gave me back in the day then it's only capable of 8Mb. (i.e. ADSL, not ADSL2+)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 markc1975

I'd just like to thanks BT tbh.

I have a 2 meg line, was only ever getting anything between 750kbps and 1.2 megs down (on a good day!), but according to the ISP speed test I'm now consistently getting 2.54Mbps down and 168 kbps down, I'm happy with that, especially for free!

One question though, I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange, should I get more than these speeds?

Cheers,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

markc1975 wrote: »
    I'd just like to thanks BT tbh.

I have a 2 meg line, was only ever getting anything between 750kbps and 1.2 megs down (on a good day!), but according to the ISP speed test I'm now consistently getting 2.54Mbps down and 168 kbps down, I'm happy with that, especially for free!

One question though, I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange, should I get more than these speeds?

Cheers,

M

I think you'll only get what your line is capable of getting, so that depends on the distance from the exchange and the quality of the copper and your internal wiring, people who were on the option 2 one were moved to a 6mb profile, so you could connect at speeds up to 6, if your stats were good...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

upgraded from 3 to 7.6 by BT...

ping to www.boards.ie = 44ms

download speeds:

773 KB/s itunes from apple

772 KB/s linux from heanet

i guess that's my new max speed now, but
    according to my maths i should be able to
    reach about 790KB/s.

thing is, the web is as slow as ever on BT. there
    seem to be numerous websites that are nearly
    always slow through BT - not just youtube either! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Same problem, BT instructed me to downgrade my line back to 3MB. Thank god im moving out of this area in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

On 3Mb 'upgraded' to 7.6
    Heanet download 400KB/s
    Speedtest around 3563/547 pings over 100+
    Hopefully its teething problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

kmick wrote: »
    On 3Mb 'upgraded' to 7.6
    Heanet download 400KB/s
    Speedtest around 3563/547 pings over 100+
    Hopefully its teething problems

i hope it is for your sake, and not what happened to me. i was on 3mb package and got downgraded to the 2mb package which has been boosted to a 4mb package

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Well, I was getting about 6.3mb down for the first couple of days, that's now dropped to 4mb (and even as low as 2.5 on one test).

Youtube is RIDICULOUSLY slow. You have to leave a video to load and come back 10 minutes later at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Same thing happening since last week sometime
    Data Rate

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
    Up Stream 512 (Kbps.)
    Down Stream 6144 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
    Operation Data Upstream Downstream
    Noise Margin 12 dB 13 dB
    Attenuation 48 dB 43 dB

Defect Indication
    Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
    Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
    Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
    Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
    Interleaved Path CRC Error 1 0
    Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
    Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
    Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
    Intermittent in my dads house too
    His line hasnt been upgraded yet, so BT say
    I'll check it later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Phlann wrote: »
    Youtube is RIDICULOUSLY slow. You have to leave a video to load and come back 10 minutes later at the moment

Thats been a BT problem for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

the problem seemed to get fixed about a week ago for me but has since come back. it's unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

All the complaints you have I saw 4 years ok when ADSL 2+ came in, in the UK.

Firstly, BT may promise an upgrade but the small print always says dependent on other factors.

Secondly, you will get the speed your line can handle. An attenuation of 38 is about the max for any kind of speed with an SNR of 6 or below resulting in constant drops.

Also be aware that street lights coming on at night have a huge affect on SNR as some of you have seen when your line and speed drops at night.

The first week of your ADSL 2+ connection will see wild swings in speed, as the service is rate adaptive and it will be automatically sensing the right speed for a constant connection.

It is not correct to blame Eircom for these issues as BT has their own blocks in most exchanges now.

If you are interested, extra speed can be gained by using a Belkin Modem/router which allows the console to be tweaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Since the upgrade last saturday, my upload speed has been very unreliable. Downloading a file is very fast, but web browsing can be very slow at times. Pings have doubled.

Modem sync'd at 7616/672 (kbps)

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 9.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 26.50 16.00
    CRC Errors 236 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

Your line is on the border for a steady connection as a result you are getting a lot of CRC errors. I would recommend you contact BT and ask them to throttle back your connection to about 6.5mb, this will show a dramatic improvement in web browsing and a steady connection.

You could also try ensuring you are not using a crap phone extension cable and proper filtering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I have noticed something else as well, when I answer the house phone or ring someone on it, the connection drops the instant I use it.
    I have the same problem since the upgrade. Didn't experienced it prior to the speed increase. I have changed my DSL filter to a brand new one, and still the exact same result..

Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

tripswitch wrote: »
    My one says "Zyxel Prestige 600" on the front but that's the series rather than the model number. Have a look at the sticker on the bottom of the box. If it's a "P-623R-T1" like the one Esat gave me back in the day then it's only capable of 8Mb. (i.e. ADSL, not ADSL2+)

Also P660RU-61, P660HW-61 and P630 are not ADSL2+ compatible.

Advertisement