Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT: Issues since line upgrade

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

quick question for anyone who might know. my router stats have changed today for the first time since i got my phone line connected, my attenuation has just gone from 52 to 51, is this normal or is my exchange creeping slowly towards my house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

Attenuation is based on interference. Rain, heat and electrical interference can affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Attenuation is based on interference. Rain, heat and electrical interference can affect.

but my attenuation has got better with the awful weather, and it was solidly 52 for a month until last weekend. i wonder if it could possibly be eircom doing some repairs somewhere along my line. i heard they have had to do a lot of maintenance over the last week in north dublin due to all the flooding etc...

also, my sync speed went up to 5mbit on saturday for most of the day but is now back down to 4, even though i had been onto bt last week complaining that my router stats were good enough for a 5mbit connection. they did a test on my line while i was on to tech support and told me that the max my line could take was 4096kbps

can anyone explain how i could've gone up to 5? i monitored the connection while it was and it was fine, no disconnects, no issues at all. why do bt have to go by what eircom tells them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Attenuation is mainly based on signal loss due to the signal's energy being dissipated along the signal's route. That is the predominant factor in attenuation. For a copper wire, attenuation is proportional to the distance the signal has to travel, so effectively it's a measure of resistance.

Now rain has no effect unless the cable's faulty. Heat has a small but genuine effect. Electrical interference (If I understand what you mean by "interference") has no effect on attenuation. It just changes the signal to noise ratio of the signal being carried.

Advertisement