Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand up and Be Proud!

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

what do you guys think of the plus size debate?

which is more attractive -

crystal_01_016.jpg

or

crystal_02_016.jpg

We have tried to have many discussion about weight and they generally turn into a bitch fest. We had a great discussion on abortion. So lets try again.

I find there is an awful lot of judging women just because of their size. If you see an plus size person generally people think they are lazy or eats lots etc. Not always the case but can be at times. But if they are happy etc what harm are they doing to others. Why do people have to comment and call names why can't people just accept it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*stands up*

My name is Mordeth, and I'm fat.

:(

Mordy another comment like that and you will be banned , it goes against the spirit of the thread.

ok he edited the comment... i'm not that crazy!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maybe I have to be a woman to get it, but that first video was unfunnier than Lee Evans, which is some achievement.

• Advertisement

Ah just one womans way of facing the every day discrimination that is put up to plus size people.

I've no problem with that, but I just thought she was incredibly unfunny. I'm in no way prudish, but I'm generally of the opinion that if someone doing stand-up swears every second word then they're covering up an obvious lack of funny material.

Anyway I don't want to derail your thread so don't mind me, I'm just having a bad week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I just don't think female comedians are funny :(

Especially if they have to swear like that to be funny.

Its why I'm not a comedian, I swear like a docker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zaph wrote: »
    Anyway I don't want to derail your thread so don't mind me, I'm just having a bad week.

*hug*

Thaedydal wrote: »
    *hug*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Each to their own, I guess. I personally like big arses on girls, some guys like heavier women because they have bigger boobs. Its all relative!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Silverfish wrote: »
    I just don't think female comedians are funny :(
    this, look at that maeve higgins one.

i'd rather endure a mauling by vicious dogs that shoot bees when they bark.

and i'm allergic to bee stings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

curves ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Jules in the interests of fairness I have to say that the examples you picked are not great. The top lady is only slightly large, maybe a 14 and you wouldnt call her fat but the skinny girl is very skinny.

I prefer the skinny one btw and I see nowt wrong with that.

In the interest of fairness they are both the same woman.

Feck right off!

What?

How?

Is it a before and after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Could someone attach the pictures to a post, I cant view them the way they are at work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I for one am not a fan of this stick thin craze. More than likely, they dont eat meat or watch sports. What else is there for me?
    But this is all down to a definition again isn't it?
    Is curvy or voluptuous a nice way of calling somebody overweight.
    I for one prefer the apples to the bee-stings.
    Hope that wasnt off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't like either (or should that be just her). :confused:

Although thats probably based on her just being unattractive(imo).

• Advertisement

Im gonna assume she was a skinny model and got sick of starving and let herself put on some weight.

She looks fab either way, again my personal preferance is for the skinny.
    Although I am not as thin as that myself I think I would be happy that size whereas I would not be happy if I became as big as the other pic.

But Im not a boy, they have different eyes and brains and different other stuff.

There is nothing wrong with personal preference, horses for courses and all that but what i am asking is why do people feel the need to put down plus size people. If the mags and tv shows only had plus size models would that be the norm?

Yep it's sh1t.

Women are seen as lesser people if they are ugly or bigger than a 10, not only by lots of men but also by other women.

Usually when men hear the word fat, they think of someone really really fat, but when womwn think of fat, they think of anything a stone or more heavier than their current weight. We are our own worst enemies. (and yes im generalising)

Morbidly obese is one thing and people will always comment on it, in the same way they comment on anorexic girls, both are ick.

It is, I think, a reflection of the fashion of the times. So maybe it will change. But probably not in our lifetime.

Totally agreed, woman are total bitches to each other, all smiles etc but would stab ya in the back as soon as soon as, a lot of women that is. And yes i know morbidly obese is one thing but there are also men out there that like that and women who are proud to be that. And who are we to judge?

Peared wrote: »
    Women are seen as lesser people if they are ugly or bigger than a 10, not only by lots of men but also by other women.

I don't get why people are bothered about the looks of people who they aren't with.

Unless it literally hurt your eyes to look at them.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't get why people are bothered about the looks of people who they aren't with.

Unless it literally hurt your eyes to look at them.

Yeah I know.

But people are pass-remarkable assh0les sometimes.

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Out of the 2 pictures of that woman, i think the first picture is a lot more attractive. I dont like the look in the second picture of a woman who is too skinny. I would rather a bit of meat on the bones of a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It's funny, I feel as sorry for ridiculously skinny girls as I do for ridiculously obese girls. I always assume (and bold me for assuming) that they are having a hard time, usually because they both look delicate, and unable to cope being beyond the beyonds, either ends of the proverbial scale.
    The model looks alot better as a size 16 imo.

Me, I prefer a more normal look and think a size 12 is perfect(for me, for my height, it's all relative). Just enough chub to have nice curves and boobs, but not enough chub to form a second me. I am not a size 12, though I would like to be, and am trying to be. I beat myself up about it too much sometimes, usually around that time.
    I think a healthy body image is something to be cherished if you have it, and sought as much as any weightloss/gain if you don't.
    I also find that when I'm preoccupied with my weight, I'm not occupying my brain with the right things often enough.

So I'll stand and be proud to be a size 15. Inbetween is usually where you will find me in most situations.;)

• Advertisement

Am I proud that I am over weight ? Nope

Am I going to let it stop me living my life ? Nope

Do I let it and what other's think impact on me ? Nope

Do I want to loose weight ? Nope, I do want to change my shape and am working on that.

Am I ever going to be skinny ? Nope unless I become seriously ill.

Am I bothered that my body is different after having kids and post natal depression ?
    At times but I would not be who I am today if I had not have experienced the things I have and I don't see the point of beating myself up about it or crippling my self emotionally as that won't help me evolve or make the changes I want.

Advertisement