Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Teaching - First Steps ?

• 09-08-2008 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,
    First post here so thanks for reading this !

I'm very interesting in doing a PGCE in Britain or Northern Ireland in the medium term..however, I've been working in IT for the last 9 years so would have no practical experience of working with children.

I'm already looking into voluntary work I could do but my main question is how easy would it be to get work shadowing experience in a classroom - i.e. sitting in on a class, watching teaching in practice ?

I would be really interested in hearing how people went about gaining classroom experience before they applied to teacher training courses.

Many thanks for any feedback..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

I emailed my cv to a couple of local primary schools asking if they'd any subbing work. Started off a day here and a day there and built up from that.
    Once you've a degree you can do subbing. You won't be shadowing a teacher but with younger classes whose teacher is only out for a day it's mostly a case of babysitting and making sure they don't burn the class down :)
    Haven't ever seen anyone shadowing a teacher so not sure if schools are that keen on it. Besides sitting watching isn't really any more an experience than when you were in school yourself!
    Best of luck

Advertisement