Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraqi asylum-seeker goes nuts in Ted's

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

From what I have heard, in the early hours of Friday morning an Iraqi asylum-seeker staying in the former Pier-one hotel was thrown out of Ted's nightclub for acting in a threatening and aggressive manner. After he was ejected from the nightclub he produced a knife and started chasing a group of women. Some of these girls got into a taxi driven by a friend of mine. The Iraqi stood in front of my mate's taxi, hit the bonnet with his fists and started swearing. He also shouted "I am Iraqi, you irish b**stard". From what I heard, the armed Emergency Response Unit in Henry St arrested the man later on.

Has anybody heard about this? If so, has there been any developments or media coverage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Sounds like a scary ordeal. Did your friend have a description of the man, as in how old did he look? I haven't seen it reported in the media yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Sounds like a scary ordeal. Did your friend have a description of the man, as in how old did he look? I haven't seen it reported in the media yet.

From what I heard he was in his thirties, powerful muscular build, wearing a tight t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

That's ok, cos I know an Iraqi living in Pier One who is midddle-aged, quiet and balding, it sounded a bit of out of character if it was the guy I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Good old reliable eye witness reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

egan007 wrote: »
    Good old reliable eye witness reports.

Good old sarcasm:rolleyes:

Quite good eye-witness report considering it was my friend that he shouted abuse at and whose cab he struck. And also it was my friend who rang the police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Most other counties would be like, " OMG someone has a knife"

In Limerick it's, "Oh I know an Iraqi and Oh what did he look like "

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So (if this is true, because a story doing the rounds last week "about" Copperface Jacks in Dublin was actually about a place in Jersey) then someone looking for our sympathy and support who's being housed while his application goes through brought a knife with him on a night out and threatened people with it ?

Don't even lock him up overnight in Henry St.....first plane/boat home - war or no war.

And Steve - OK point (because you did say "most" other counties) but a little unfair, don't ya think ? Maybe we should be greatful that he didn't have a Samauri sword.....

Or - jeez -a concealed WMD!!!! :eek: Imagine if the BushTroopers had been on one of their stopovers from Shannon and on a night out in Ted's in their combats !!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe he was pissed about paying €15 to go into Teds.

Only kidding, seriously I hope nobody involved was harmed in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I bet teds was a scarier ordeal. overflow of pink shirts on men, and beer guts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

BarryCreed wrote: »
    I bet teds was a scarier ordeal. overflow of pink shirts on men, and beer guts...
    LOL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ye're all wrong.

'Twas one of the Keanes back from a fortnight in Santa Ponsa.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Weren't some refuges giving out recently about only getting €20 a week to live on? He probably paid his €15 in, bought a pint and realised he'd nothing left for the week!

€20 a week to live on!! Well, if I ws only getting €20 a week -I'd probably end up getting a job or something crazy like that...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

as a refugee you get automatically a work permit now? that's for "get a job!"

of course not automatically - but it's not impossible. https://www.my-solicitor.net/work_permit.html

as with anything in life, if the desire is there, then nothing is impossible. my belief is that the characters who hassle you at atm's "CHOOSE" not to work. that's my belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Quote from that very page
    Asylum seekers
    If you are in the process of seeking refugee status, you are not entitled to work.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The law says they can't but that law isn't really policed well so obtaining black market work is quite accesible to them. To their credit - many of the 'insert your own word here' (not getting into terminology argument!) do just this and I say fair play to them. OK they enter the place illegally under a bogus claim or whatever and don't pay income tax - but that is just what our boys do in the States, so not the greatest sin ever. They want to get on in life.

Personally, I would love to do a one for one swap deal with some of the native scroungers.

Advertisement