Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan To Waterford Railway Line

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned to me today that this is being relaid. Any truth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wha????????????? Nice idea but a mad one. No chance unless its a private funded plaything and I don't think we have any eccentric multi-millionairs here.

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doubt it. Isnt there going to be wakeways made out of the railway lines?

Its not like Irish Rail to move forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What should be done is for the line to be made into a walking trail, you have some of the nicest countryside and views right along its length and being a railway cutting - no hilly bits! (but some hillbillys)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

A lot of the old railway line has been run over with roadways, walkways and some houses! Not to mention the original train station sitting in one of the most awkward places in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

They're in the process of turning it into a walk/cycle way, but there was an issue a few months back with some landowners along the way going out on a landgrab. They arrived with JCBs and dug 3 metre deep trenches across the line in a bunch of places. I haven't heard any update since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

A lot of the old railway line has been run over with roadways, walkways and some houses!

I've seen this near Durrow, how can that be allowed????? Surely all the council have to do is serve some notice on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 surfin

ya i saw some one has turned a large portion of the track into thier private garden!! hope they have somewhere to move the plants to! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Take a look at the Bristol to Bath cycle path in England:

http://www.paulspages.co.uk/bbcycle/bbcyclebb.shtml

This is something that is very popular with cyclists and is well used as a commuter route and for leisure at the weekends. It well signposted with distance markers and has grade separated junctions and sculptures en route. Notice the concurrent running of a tourist railway and the cycle path next to it. There's even a tunnel, but it lacks a viaduct as impressive as the one at Kilmac, a beach and views of the Comeraghs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

some of that track is right out beside my garden in abbeyside. my dog loves walking it. he would go mad if he couldn't walk it anymore:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I can vaguely recall trains going down to the magnesite plant years ago.

It would be great if there was a dart type train from dungarvan to waterford but I doubt it would ever happen. The old railway went across the main road in at least 3 different places so flyovers etc would have to be built for a start ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lippypalemr

Sadly, no, I wish they would have but they went ahead and tarmacked the 'track' from the causeway all the way to the clonea road
    It's a pity that there are few heritage lines left in Ireland and the only one I know of in Waterford is the Waterford Suir Valley Railway

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

This line, and the Waterford-Tramore one should never have been lifted... we could have had our own W.A.R.T. lines.
    I wonder if they're are any dis-used lines in Co. Fermanagh?

i'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ye are also forgetting that on the city side the red iron bridge is missing the centre section and the bridge as a whole would some major investment to make sure its safe!!! so doubt it there goin to create a waterford-dungarvan link again????

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

ye are also forgetting that on the city side the red iron bridge is missing the centre section and the bridge as a whole would some major investment to make sure its safe!!! so doubt it there goin to create a waterford-dungarvan link again????

Unless there was a station in bilberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Have a look on Google Earth you can still see a train loco parked up there past Waterford Stanley, Yes a shame they abandoned the line and deliberately ruined the bridge.

Advertisement