Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous use of mobiles

• 09-08-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi

I am wondering is it possible to remain completly anonymous on an Irish network as a prepay customer. I don't want to register my details. Is it possible to deal with any network in this manner? I have found that shops won't sell with out ID. They want to register your details.

I am not interested in any offers or free credits etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You don't need to register with any of the networks pay as you go....just go into a shop and buy a new phone with a number off the shelf....nobody should be asking you for ID.....

I know with 02 & Meteor you need to register online to get all your free credit, no registration is required to get your free credit from 3....not sure about voda

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

U dont have to give your real details on their website either to register for credit.

I hope your not up to anything dodgy....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I never knew that, never bought a phone off them but I know where i'd tell them to go....that's harldy legal...no network demands you check Id when buying a pay as you go phone....
    I'd say there doing it for marketing purposes....chancers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

why have you a problem giving your details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's Osama!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 worried shooter

I hope your not up to anything dodgy....?
    Nope, absolutely not.
    I dispise marketing policies. I don't want anyone calling me up trying to sell me stuff.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    It's Osama!!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

or is the question, WHY DON'T you have a problem?! ;)

anyway...couple of years, prepay without ID will be illegal, which will cause a whole new bunch of crime rather than solve crime...

strecker wrote: »
    or is the question, WHY DON'T you have a problem?! ;)

anyway...couple of years, prepay without ID will be illegal, which will cause a whole new bunch of crime rather than solve crime...

5 million + phone users, can really see the Garda making this a priority.....wonder what the punishment for being caught with a unregistered mobile will be....? 12mts on tesco?

this will never ever happen....when you need a licence to talk things have really gone too far...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I had found it awful difficult to deal with Meteor CS with an unregistered phone. Eventually it was easier to give them a name and address just to keep them sweet. Some agents were reluctant to deal with any query unless I registered first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ofcourse you can, would be crazy if they wouldnt let you buy the phone though, can imagine anything more crazy.

I think the details they are taking are more for their own record of the purchase etc. But they probably passing them on to the network

CPW refuse to sell if you refuse to give them your details. Company policy.

Bond-007 wrote: »

Harsh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's probably for the warranty or something like that. If you have a problem with your phone and didn't keep your receipt then they would be able to search their system for your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

CPW are a bit stuck in the mud about it in my experience, but never had a problem in network shops.

I know I have an unregistered 3 SIM and all they wanted to do was me to add 2 passwords to the account to verify me. It's a realy shame the only thing they can do for me on the phone is confirm my 2 passwords though.

O2 have no problem with unregistered in my experience - ask them to add a password / PIN - they may also ask you to verify some recently dialled numbers but their attitude is very much "if it's not registered, we don't care about verifying anything".

As for Voda / Meteor - similar, they've asked me to confirm PINs / PUKs but not forced me to reg details.

The one thing to note is that if your SIMs not registered anyone can do stuff on your account in general because the networks have no data protection etc responsibilities. You may lose your number as a result of someone stealing it etc.

random wrote: »
    The one thing to note is that if your SIMs not registered anyone can do stuff on your account in general because the networks have no data protection etc responsibilities. You may lose your number as a result of someone stealing it etc.

The guards should mess with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I suspect it is marketing. I used to get spam from them about insurance etc so I assume that is the real reason for wanting your details.

I can't try the old fake name routine, I knows the local CPW store manager very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

CPW do not pass on details to the network, nor do they hit you with marketing unless you agree to it, they ask you for your details simply to have a record of the transaction for proof of purchase should any warranty issues arise. it is for thier own system and totally seperate from the networks.

as such, you can buy a phone in CPW, give them your real name (if you wish) but if the phone is not registered with the network, then the network is none the wiser.

that said, anyone who refuses to give any details to buy a phone seems dodgy to me..

• Advertisement

Fake name ftw. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

then i should have been sacked many times over :D

the details they take are so you don't have to keep the receipt. You can just come in and give your name and every phone you've bought pops up

they will sell a phone without giving details and i don't think it'd be legal to pass on the details to the networks. Would that not be against the data protection act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm surprised you can still get a number in Ireland without registering it to a user. There are no good reasons to keep it anonymous, makes it easy for criminals, stalkers, etc

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    then i should have been sacked many times over :D

the details they take are so you don't have to keep the receipt. You can just come in and give your name and every phone you've bought pops up

they will sell a phone without giving details and i don't think it'd be legal to pass on the details to the networks. Would that not be against the data protection act?
    Must be the local store that is so anally retentive on that.

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you can still get a number in Ireland without registering it to a user. There are no good reasons to keep it anonymous, makes it easy for criminals, stalkers, etc
    I has stacks of various O2 and Tesco Sim cards here not registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I has stacks of various O2 and Tesco Sim cards here not registered.

So have I, every time I get into Ireland I purchase a SIM to use during the trip. Saves me a small fortune on roaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Is that fact ?

It is in my local CPW shop. No way will they sell without name and address. I was told that this was company policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Thats a strange one from CPW i bought a sim from there not so long ago where i live, handed over a tenner and was out the door! No details required.

Sure you can buy sims online on Voda and 02 website give them your details to deliver the sim, but it is then your choice whether or not you wish to register the sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Regarding buying a handset and taking details , is that anything to do with thrying to get people to sign up to the famous CPW insurance :D ?????

Advertisement