Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear Trade

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

This is a completely half baked thought that popped into my head so I figured its perfect for this forum (j/k..............)

Anyway, Down the line we should organise trading a few bits for a certain amount of time (like 1 week or whatever). It might mean nothing to the bigger lads but for some people it might be a chance to get their hands on gear thats they might be interested in or even curious about. I know If I had a quiet week ahead I wouldnt mind throwing a RESPECTED member of the board and someone I know who knows what their at a piece of gear. It could be a DAW controller, Preamp they dont rely on, Mic whatever.

Obviously it would have to be done in a very safe way with only the usuals or whatever. It probably wouldnt work but would be cool if it did.

Like take my Tascam 2400 or TLA for a bash and I will take your AKG or Nuemann or whatever. Then a big night out or just a meet up with everyone and we do the swap!

No? I can see a lot of people running a mile and thats completely understandable but just an idea to throw out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Good luck with this idea....... It'll never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'd have to agree, can't see that happening, can barely trust myself to use my gear right! ;)

Sturdy things like keyboards and soundcards maybe, but microphones? Hmm...don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

What happens if something breaks? or just stops working all of a sudden?!

Great idea!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I said it was half baked!

Ya fupping selfish baxtards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

quarter baked more like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stuff like this only works amongst friends.

Stuff breaks, or maybe broken before it's traded, and you've got unwanted hassle from some bloke who wants you to pay for a new guitar that was "working" before he gave it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

FX Meister wrote: »
    quarter baked more like

Is the oven actually on...?

No only slaggin. It is a nice idea but maybe a bit hard to work.

Well let it be known that I dont mind helping lads out with gear!
    A lot of lads helped me out over the years so karma and what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

the_syco wrote: »
    Stuff like this only works amongst friends.

Stuff breaks, or maybe broken before it's traded, and you've got unwanted hassle from some bloke who wants you to pay for a new guitar that was "working" before he gave it to you.

Doesn't even work between friends, trust me on that. Thats how I broke my Gemeni a while back. Did it break in the car? Did I break it? Was it my friends fault? Who knows but it can cause bad blood between good friends. Buy your own gear or at least only lend out stuff below a certain value, way too risky. I have become hard nosed now and said to 2 friends that they aren't getting my gear.

dav nagle wrote: »
    Thats how I broke my Gemeni a while back..

I hope you Equipment Supplier organised a fast repair and maybe a loan of a mic while it was away - thereby minimising your inconvenience ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

How about another half baked idea... Have a meet up with engineers/producers who are close to each other for INFORMATION exchange face-to-face which i'm sure would be great and beat typing crap out all the time ;P

It's crap down in Enniscorthy while all you dubbers get pissed without us ;P

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I hope you Equipment Supplier organised a fast repair and maybe a loan of a mic while it was away - thereby minimising your inconvenience ? :)

Your service was not only fast but extremely sound. I was not expecting you to look after me the way you did and for that I am most grateful. Thankyou for helping me out of that sticky situation and not only replacing new parts but upgrading the unit to the latest model, sound Paul very sound indeed.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd be well up for a dedicated 'trades' section separate of adverts - pro audio gear tends to get unappreciated and lost amongst all the other... less important disciplines.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Cheers!

Neurojazz wrote: »
    How about another half baked idea... Have a meet up with engineers/producers who are close to each other for INFORMATION exchange face-to-face which i'm sure would be great and beat typing crap out all the time ;P

It's crap down in Enniscorthy while all you dubbers get pissed without us ;P

We rarely socialize anywhere but here because we are a bunch of lazy gits.

Hold on now, I have tried to organise Manys the beers

sei046 wrote: »
    Hold on now, I have tried to organise Manys the beers

True enough my good man. Are we just shy or something Sei046?

I dunno, But look how much better it was on that Luton trip, No BS talk (bar paul ;) ) everyone was decent to everyone (Bar paul). AND! I realised the Xrack is the solution to all my problems, personal problems included.

sei046 wrote: »
    I dunno, But look how much better it was on that Luton trip, No BS talk (bar paul ;) ) everyone was decent to everyone (Bar paul). AND! I realised the Xrack is the solution to all my problems, personal problems included.

I know I taught my marriage was over until I seen the x rack. My wife understood that the under current of our problem was that we hadn't invested in an x rack. She knew if we had one of those than I would finally be happy and in turn show her some real love. X rack is a symbol of manhood in my opinion but that could be easily argued by the 'Paul' police.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement