Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomiting phobia, am I the only one?

• 09-08-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have suffered from this Phobia ever since I can remember.
    I always remember feeling disgusted when I would see my sister vomit. I couldn t bear the smell or the sound. I d have to run into the other room.

I also became very afraid of vomitting myself. I hated the wait, the nausea knowing that I was about to vomit soon.

I am 22 and I havent vomitted since I was 14, thank god. 8 years and counting without vomitting!
    Either its my fear or that I am just a very healthy person.
    Ill never forget the last time when I was 14. For 3 hours I waited to get sick, knowing it was coming. I lay in bed for 3 days. I am very healthy but if I catch something I literally lie comotised for a long while.

This phobia can effect my social life... In town if I see or hear someone get sick I run to the other side of the road. If I see sick on the ground I run huge circles to avoid it. It actually makes me gag.
    Friends think this is hilarious!

I need never worry about becoming Bulimic. I wouldn t be capable of it!

I d never binge drink as I am far too afraid of getting sick. I don t how people drink to throw up.

On a more serious note, it makes me seem really heartless and unsympathetic when friends or family are getting sick. I just run of the room. I am not the girl to hold a friends hair back when she is getting sick. Most people know I don t mean to be hurtful or unkind I just feel I will gag and get sick if I am near it.

As you can imagine a career in nursing is not for me. Im a teacher and one time a boy projectile vomitted on the table (I swear just like in the exorcist). The shock of it caused me to scream and run to the other side of the room.
    Kids found it hilarious. My assistant looked at me like I was quite mad. Thank god the assistant and the caretaker have to clean everything up as I wouldn t be physically capable. I don t what Ill do when I have my own kids, there ll be no caretaker or assistant to help me.

God the thought of a baby bringing up his food. Uggghh disgusting! maybe when its your own kid its different?

I know vomit isn t the most pleasant thing in the world, but does anyone else share this phobia, or is it really unusual? I heard of people having a fear of blood, but blood doesn t bother me in the slightest unless someone is throwing up blood like on casualty. I can t even flick past BBC1 when that show is on!

Needles don t bother me neither, its just vomit that makes me quesy and repulsed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 strooooble

Hello there, nice to read someone so open about what totally freaks and scared you. And you're not alone, believe me. Humans have this great ability to develop a phobia of almost anything. I'm probably not as bad as you, but I will go to great length to keep myself from vomiting even if I am sick and know that it would feel better sooner if I just it over with. That happened to me a few months ago, I got so sick that I had to force myself, while usually people just don't think and just go for it. I hadn't vomited in years, so it felt odd.
    It's not so much the smell or seeing someone vomit, it's the actual movement or behavior of your body when it's vomiting. It's really scaring me and I'm always afraid that I can't breathe and will choke on it because once your body starts the process you lose control in a way. Most times I panic and will sit through being sick, which I know is not good for me. So no, you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 adastra

You are SO not alone!! I've got a phobia of vomiting. If someone in my family is sick I will have the tv turned up really loud, or go to sleep listening to music so I can't hear them. Just knowing someone else is sick makes me feel sick. If I'm talking to someone and they say they have just gotten over a stomach bug I will freak out (on the inside), I start to feel sick and sometimes want to cry, in case I catch it off them. I HATE the feeling of knowing you're going to be sick, the waiting. I hate that more than the actual action. I wouldn't go out for years in case I saw or heard someone throwing up. I've gotten a bit better at that now, because I know I'm not going to catch a bug off of someone who is drunk! A few months ago I went away with my boyfriend on our first trip. We had to get up at 3 a.m and I don't know whether it was the tiredness, or the nervousness of being alone with him for so long for the first time, but I threw up before we left, and I was so scared, I actually wanted to cancel the holiday. Imagine not going to Venice in case I threw up on the way to the airport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Therickmachine

If someone in my family is sick I will have the tv turned up really loud, or go to sleep listening to music so I can't hear them. Just knowing someone else is sick makes me feel sick.

Yesterday, my little sister threw up. I just heard the sound and ran downstairs to get help. I was nearly retching at just hearing the sound.:eek:
    I felt soooo bad as the poor little thing was sooo weak and helpless. Thank God i wasn t alone in the house with her.

I couldn t even let her in my room, I was so afraid. Turns out it was motion sickness as she had just been in a long car journey.

I don t know how mothers and nurses just get on with it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

After reading this I'm so grateful this is a phobia I don't have. I'm a really pukey person :)

Some people are the complete opposite to yout guys and have a fetish for vomiting. They find the build up and release arousing. Isnt that the weirdest thing you've ever heard?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

i hate the waiting to get sick (especially when drunk, always seems to take longer to get sick) but worse from that is I cannot listen to people getting sick... I have to cover both ears if someone is getting sick in the bathroom near my bedroom or if I have to look after a girlfriend on a nite out... They call me unsupportive but the sound of people retching makes me panic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

A fetish for vomit?? It takes all sorts I guess.

Its just so strange. Needles, blood and operations don t bother me in the slight but vomit and I run a mile.

I mean Im surprised more people don t have this phobia as its not the most pleasant thing in the world. I think more people would be afraid of needles and blood.

Maybe its because I haven t thrown up in 10 years, that my fear of finally doing it grows. I mean I have to get sick eventually!

My sister is a pukey person. Especially when she travels. On the boat I wouldn t share a room because I couldn t stand the smell of sick. She also gets sick at her time of month. I feel sooooo sorry for her.
    Im just blessed to be in such good health!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

ye prob not afraid of vomit, it prob more of an adverse effect on u. like u see or smell vomit, it makes you vomit. Never take a job in a bar. Weekly thing is cleaning up vomit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Ya poor thing. If you ever feel ill, like you need to vomit, try taking a motilium hun, it speeds up the way your tummy works and moves the food or whatever is making you ill quicker, it speeds up peristalisis in your gut. I hope that helps a little. take care hun. i know how awful it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I had a vomiting bug when I was six and it lasted a solid 24hours. I got such a fright from it anytime I heard a friend was sick I'd be hiding in the other side of the building if I could. Didn't vomit for 12 years after that. I'd rather anything but vomiting.

I actually gave up eating that much when I was younger because meat used ot make me feel ill. SO I stayed hungry instead of eating. Seemed a safer bet. Used to dump my sandwiches in school and everything.

I got over it about three years ago. A long bout of sessioning eventually knocked it out of me. I still hate it to be honest but at least when I'm about to be sick or anything I don't fall into a heap of histrionics like before. Just I hate the anticipation of it is all now. Once it's out I feel more at ease even if I'm still poorly.

And the motilium is good actually for that but be careful not to take it everytime you get a bit of a fantom sickness. Could develop a complex or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's called emetophobia and it's extremley common. There are tons of online forums dedicated to it. My advice is to not dwell on it as it can get really serious and take over your life, as any phobia can. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement