Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motherboard

• 09-08-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Lads,

I'm in the market for a new motherboard. Looking for something fairly stable, but a great overclocker. I can't seem to find enough information on the current gen of boards to pick one.

My other gear is
    Qx6700
    Two 2900xt's
    8 Gigs Ocz DDR2 pc8000(4*2)
    1200 watt thoughpower
    2 raptors, one SSD(nearly) and 4 Samsung spinpoints.

Current board is the Abit Aw9d Max, twas good in its day tbh, but the lack of support from abit was a bit off putting.

So the boards needs to be a good overclocker, capable of crossfire preferably 2*16 lanes, good with 4 sticks of ram, needs around 8 Sata ports. I think I'm pretty much limited to boards with a x38 or x48 chipset.

Also, does anybody know of a good midrange sata controller? I would like to have something, hopefully pci-ex that can take some of the perceived stress off of my current system.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've heard that this board is very good.... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't go far wrong with the Asus Maximus.

I had an Aw9D-max, lovely mobo, still have actually in a second rig, didn't handle a quad too well tho. I'm now very happy with an Asus mobo, the bios is fantastic and the failed overclock feature means you'll never have to clear cmos again. Asus ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nforce wrote: »
    I've heard that this board is very good.... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343979

I'm looking at it now, seems a solid board. Only problem I would have with it is that it only has 6 internal Sata connections. That being said, there doesn't seem to be much else in the x48 boards.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can't go far wrong with the Asus Maximus.

I don't like the layout of the back IO panel. Ps2 ports are always handy for me, and since I would use the onboard audio I don't see why I should lose a Pci-ex port for what could be onboard and attached to the panel. That and neither dabs or komplett sell it and as I will be using a credit card, so rules out hardwareverstand.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I had an Aw9D-max, lovely mobo, still have actually in a second rig, didn't handle a quad too well tho. I'm now very happy with an Asus mobo, the bios is fantastic and the failed overclock feature means you'll never have to clear cmos again. Asus ftw.

Sounds better then the Abit bios anyway. Great mobo all the less, broke my self laughing when I read the box originally.

Advertisement