Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed - would a 30m ethernet cable slow down my broadband speed ?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I currently use clearwire, have the modem in my garage (only place I can get a signal) and connect it to my computer using clearplugs which are now causing problems

I was thinking of connecting the computer directly to the modem in the garage by buying a 30m ethernet cable

would this cause any problems ? maybe slowing down the speed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

cat 5 = 100mbps

Broadband normally = 1mbps

so the answer is definitly no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The max recommended length of ethernet cable before having some kind of device to boost the signal is 100m or so. Your 30m cable will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No problem for that length of CAT5E but make sure you don't route it too close to power cables as you 'may' get interference from the power running through them, also the max you should really go to is about 90m ( http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm Bullet point two) but that won't bother you with just 30m

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use STP, not UTP. Shielded Cat5e. Use a metal cover plug at one end to earth the shield and regular plastic at other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

watty wrote: »
    Use STP, not UTP. Shielded Cat5e. Use a metal cover plug at one end to earth the shield and regular plastic at other end.

Very clever :rolleyes: Why over complicate things? That might be a 110% perfect job in enviromentally adverse conditions but most people wouldn't have the skill or the means to achieve it. What could be simpler and easier than 30m of UTP and two RJ45 plugs even if Superhands has to buy a crimping tool off fleabay to fit the plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

ttm wrote: »
    Very clever :rolleyes: Why over complicate things? That might be a 110% perfect job in enviromentally adverse conditions but most people wouldn't have the skill or the means to achieve it. What could be simpler and easier than 30m of UTP and two RJ45 plugs even if Superhands has to buy a crimping tool off fleabay to fit the plugs.

Yeah ttm and most of the rest have got it bang on here. Don't over complicate it. I have installed a massive network myself with km's and km's of cable and you wont have any problems with 30m.

If I were you, and especially if you dont have a crimping tool and/or access to cat5 cable, I would just buy a stock 30m cable. I don't know how much your local PC shop will sell them before but you could get it off ebay for about 20quid of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/30M-CAT5E-CAT5-RJ45-CROSSOVER-NETWORK-CABLE-POST-TDAY_W0QQitemZ140254414576QQihZ004QQcategoryZ64034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheap enough, simple and it will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

did you say you were using clearplugs ? the ethernet over mains plug into the wall thing. i have something like it and its max is 2mb i think and thats in ideal conditions.
    if so you will be limited to what ever its max speed is.

try pinging the router over the cable if you not getting any droped packets and a decent ping time you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Only reason I'd suggest crimping the plugs on yourself is the extra cost of the crimping tool might be justified if you are running the cable through a wall or window suround and don't want to drill a hole bigger than you need to. Cat5 will go through a 6mm hole with no plugs on the ends but if the plugs are ready fitted then holes need to be at least 15mm. But if you're not drilling any holes then stuey's eBay link is about as cheap as you'll get the cable. Don't loose any sleep if you have to run the cable next to power cables in most cases in the home you not going to notice any difference.

ttm wrote: »

Same RJ45 plug and same crimp tool. It's small extra price for piece of mind and the metal shell RJ45 plug for one end also works with regular crimp tool.

Spoiling the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar using unscreened instead of screened cable. Absolutely no more complicated. No harder at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Or for nearly the some money you can support the irish economy :D
    http://maxburns.ie/start/network/network-cat5-cable-grey-30m.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

thanks for all the replies

the cable will be going out from the garage, round the outside of the house (ie outdoors) and in through the wall

hole size to drill isn't really something that's important to me - may or may not buy a crimping tool for this

however don't understand the need for metal cover plug

was going to buy (shielded) ethernet cable like the one I have already for connecting clearplug to computer (only much longer obviously) and just plug it in as if it was indoors

do I need to worry about earthing the end in the garage ?

gibbon75 wrote: »
    Or for nearly the some money you can support the irish economy :D
    http://maxburns.ie/start/network/network-cat5-cable-grey-30m.html

will probably buy it frm peats in dublin centre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think havin the metal plug is to do with preventin ur router and whatever else connected to it fried in a lightning strike

Superhands wrote: »
    t

however don't understand the need for metal cover plug

was going to buy (shielded) ethernet cable like the one I have already for connecting clearplug to computer (only much longer obviously) and just plug it in as if it was indoors

do I need to worry about earthing the end in the garage ?

Screen is not so valuable if you don't earth one end. The RJ45 that has metal case (same size as clear plug) earths the screen to the metal rim of the router/modem/ patch panel.

You can use an ordinary all plastic plug and earth the screen some other way.

It's no help against lightening (almost nothing is), but against radiating interference from cable and also picking up interference from Shortwave Radio (30m makes a VERY nice SW aerial), Mobile Radio, Sunspots, electrical storms even 50km away, MW radio, VHF/FM radio, welding, anglegrinders/power tools , washing machines & etc

Screen is not so valuable if you don't earth one end. The RJ45 that has metal case (same size as clear plug) earths the screen to the metal rim of the router/modem/ patch panel.

You can use an ordinary all plastic plug and earth the screen some other way.

It's no help against lightening (almost nothing is), but against radiating interference from cable and also picking up interference from Shortwave Radio (30m makes a VERY nice SW aerial), Mobile Radio, Sunspots, electrical storms even 50km away, MW radio, VHF/FM radio, welding, anglegrinders/power tools , washing machines & etc

thanks for the info

can you explain what you mean by screen ?

I think I understand the earthing now.

as you say, the short ethernet cable I have has a metal casing (on the side of the rj45 jack), and the rj45 socket on both the clearplugs and the modem/router/receiver has a metal rim which touches the metal side of the ethernet cable jack when it is inserted. Is that what shielded means (the metal bit on the side of the jack) ? This appears to be some sort of earthing device

so I think if I get a 30m ethernet cable (shielded cable - I also see there is an outdoor type of ethernet cable) with the same metal sides on the jack the earthing should be OK

I'll go to peats and ask them and get the right stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

STP is the shielded type or as you put it the outdoor type.

MC

Advertisement