Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock v Sundireland off

• 09-08-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Flooded.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Poor Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

'on the advice of the Gardai'

WTF:confused:

...to be fair it's absolutely pissing it out of the Heavens right now, but it's still a strange one that the Gardai made the call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers v. Sunderland:)

By all accounts, Richmond Road is flooding/flooded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Feck ye, forgot about Tolkas flooding problems!

Fingers crossed no damage is caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Summer soccer eh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

There was loads of folks over from Sunderland for this....I seen them around the city and was talking to a few this morning.What a wasted trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wasted? They can get wasted then fight Magpie fans (if they can find one) or take trip down to Cobh to see the birthplace of thier messiah.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dub13 wrote: »
    There was loads of folks over from Sunderland for this....I seen them around the city and was talking to a few this morning.What a wasted trip.

Hmmm are you sure they weren't just the bandwagoners from Dublin? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The pitch is in bits just seen it on Setanta there. Hope they can clear it for Shels fans.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hmmm are you sure they weren't just the bandwagoners from Dublin? :pac:

I am sure there was a few bandwagoners for all over Ireland in the city today but I was talking to a few genuine Sunderland fans,it was interesting to get there take on these new Irish fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just got out of the area now. Absolute jam. Road flooded apparently. :(

I am sure there was a few bandwagoners for all over Ireland in the city today but I was talking to a few genuine Sunderland fans,it was interesting to get there take on these new Irish fans.

And what did they have to say about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And what did they have to say about it?

Probably something along the same lines as most other clubs that get a surge of Irish supporters coupled with a period of success at various times over the last 40 years or so.

You City lot though? I havnt a clue how you picked up any fans.:D

So what success have Sundireland had? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bad news for us:(

Bar is 2 to 3ft under water.
    Can only imagine what the rest is like.

Last thing our club needs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The most important thing here is not about the fecking friendly. The survival of the club I support is in jeopardy. Word has it that Tolka is destroyed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nunu wrote: »
    'on the advice of the Gardai'

WTF:confused:

...to be fair it's absolutely pissing it out of the Heavens right now, but it's still a strange one that the Gardai made the call.

The police make the final call if members of the public are endangered going to an event. Not strange at all

So what success have Sundireland had? :confused:

Success is a relative term.

The Irish connection is unquestionable (Irish owned, Irish managed, plenty of Irish players) . Rocketing up the league 2 seasons ago and wiinniing it when no one expected them too is kind of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Stekelly wrote: »
    The Irish connection is unquestionable (Irish owned, Irish managed, plenty of Irish players) . Rocketing up the league 2 seasons ago and wiinniing it when no one expected them too is kind of success.

Sure they play in Ireland and are an Irish team, Oh wait...!:rolleyes:

Connections my trollox, teamslike Celtic and Sunderland take advantage of our muppets of a footballing country and to them I say fair play for seeing how stupid a country Ireland is.

• Advertisement

Connections my trollox, teamslike Celtic and Sunderland take advantage of our muppets of a footballing country and to them I say fair play for seeing how stupid a country Ireland is.

Yep , people will support any old hoofing ****e thats dressed up as football just because its called the national league. If I wanted to be moaned at by millitant whingers about supporting somethign forgeing I'll head down to Croke park next week and conduct interviews.

If you dont like people supporting English teams thats fine, but give up moaning and snipugn about it. Fine, we get it, your great becaus eyou slum it down in Tolka every week. Now , there I said it, you dont need to keep goign on at people. If anything, people like yourself moanign and whinging at people will make some reluctant to bother persueing any small interest the might have,

Yep , people will support any old hoofing ****e thats dressed up as football just because its called the national league. If I wanted to be moaned at by millitant whingers about supporting somethign forgeing I'll head down to Croke park next week and conduct interviews.

If you dont like people supporting English teams thats fine, but give up moaning and snipugn about it. Fine, we get it, your great becaus eyou slum it down in Tolka every week. Now , there I said it, you dont need to keep goign on at people. If anything, people like yourself moanign and whinging at people will make some reluctant to bother persueing any small interest the might have,

Good man. It's every 2nd week in Tolka, every other week I'm down the country supporting Shels, rather than a foreign country.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If someone on an internet forum is enough to turn you off going to a football match, you really need to reassess your priorities in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree with Gavin all the way. Support all things local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Which was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm still waiting to see any of these new fans of Sunderland in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

it was interesting to get there take on these new Irish fans.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Which was?

01-money-pound-sterling-fiver.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

LOL :D Your sig is the funniest thing Ive ever seen here, fair play :D

I agree. Support local soaps. Sure, *insert names* arent as attractive as Maria form Coro, the young black girl from Eastenders (Chelsea? I havent watched these in 6 months tbh), Jennifer Ellison and David Platts bird , and the sets are alot more wooden than Eastenders, and sure, the standard of acting is inferior, but it is Irish goddamit! and.....

Ah I cant be arsed :p
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to see any of these new fans of Sunderland in this country.

Indeed. Ive seen a good few kids around the 12 mark wearing jerseys, but as for the rest it is mainly people like me who show a slight interest.

Ive always wondered why the hatred is directed to clubs with a strong Irish connection moreso than it is to more popular teams such as Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc whos only connection is that we had our best players playing at them. Yes, some of our greatest players have played for the big four but Paul McGrath played for Villa and Quinn for City, doesnt mean both have a huge fanbase here.The Big 4 probably have 90% of the fanbase here, why not have a go at them instead of people who keep a lookout to see how Celtic are doing in Europe or if Sunderland avoid the drop?

tbh the moaning and bitterness about Celtic, Sunderland and what you perceive as goons does not particularly make anyone want to join you in the Shels stands. Due to (until now) a near lack of tv coverage EL interest is something acquired purely by attending games.

If they are all half as bitter a some people here why would I be arsed? Id rather be at an England v Argentina game with a load of beer bellies tatooed with union jacks singing songs about the Belgrano than some of the bitter people here.

Good man, you've got the hang of it. Ironically if I ever watch soaps (never happens) it's usually Fair City.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Call it whatever you will, maybe a misplaced patriotism, but i like looking out for & wishing well most teams (&individuals) with irish connections. So, over the past few years in terms of managers i have to admit to tracking the progress of Carlisle and Sunderland. Certainly helps when you have Marmite characters like Roddy Collins and Roy Keane in charge, never a dull moment with either.

I think it's pretty similar in most sports, i can honestly say the main reason i was mad into Formula 1 in the mid 90's was because of the Jordan car and connections. I liked the concept of an Irish owned team trying to compete against the likes of Ferrari , Benetton etc.

As a more general point, how did we choose "our" team when we were younger? combination of which team you liked watching (usually a decent side), bit of peer pressure/influence in school sometimes, irish connections certainly wouldnt dent your enthusiasm in picking a certain (english) team. So yeah, i dont really buy into this whole "snooting nose" up at newbie 10 year old sunderland fans, if they stick to them their whole lives and dont jump ship then they've made the same choice as we did when we were younger.

As a more general point, how did we choose "our" team when we were younger? combination of which team you liked watching (usually a decent side), bit of peer pressure/influence in school sometimes, irish connections certainly wouldnt dent your enthusiasm in picking a certain (english) team. So yeah, i dont really buy into this whole "snooting nose" up at newbie 10 year old sunderland fans, if they stick to them their whole lives and dont jump ship then they've made the same choice as we did when we were younger.

The fact they've probably already jumped a ship to start supporting Sunderland or even better they support Liverpool/Man U/etc... and Sunderland.:rolleyes:

Right, put simply:

I wanted to see Drogs do well in Europe, because they are Irish. Even though I havent been to Drogheda in about 12 years
    I like to see Celtic do well because they have a strong Irish background that they are very proud of. And no, it isnt just something they came up with in the 70s, the board did not suddenly think "here, if we can somehow link our rivalry with Rangers to whats happenin over there we can get thousands of the paddys to buy our jerseys!"
    I wanted Reading to stay up last season because of the three Irish lads
    If I had to pick a CShip team to go up it would be Wolves, so Keogh could play in the EPL.
    I think Keanes contribution to Ireland has been somewhat inflated in importance, and apart from Andy Reid none of our players woud be wanted by any other EPL side, but still, see what they can do.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Which was?

The general consensus is that its a good thing,they don't think they can make the jump to a really big club without fans from outside the region.It also helps that the stadium of light is a big ground and as yet the locals still don't have trouble getting tickets which helps the situation.

They were a bit put off when Keane was buying a lot of sub standard Irish (plus Man Utd) players.Apparently a lot of work is going on in the background improving the clubs scouting network so the management team can move away from buying players they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I see Sundireland were afraid of taking on the bigger teams this year, looks better for them to stuff 1st Division clubs than draw with premier sides, PL fans wont know the difference anyway. As to why be more anti Sunderland than Man U? Man U pick up support here automatically through success, Sunderland go looking for it. And then theres the fact that most el fans also support teams with Irish connections.

Anyway this has been going around in circles for years and is getting us nowhere, people like Gavin in particular really dont help, just makes the PL supporters more anti Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The Sunderland-fans debate aside, does anyone have any updates of Tolka Park's condition?

• Advertisement

Seems the pitch is ok/ will be ok, the bar took most of the damage.

bohsman wrote: »
    Seems the pitch is ok/ will be ok, the bar took most of the damage.

Yip so I've heard aswell. Bit of sand on the pitch should dry it up. As for the bar it's shocking. The bar isn't even run by Shels it's merely owned and rented out afaik, be some clean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Good man, you've got the hang of it. Ironically if I ever watch soaps (never happens) it's usually Fair City.:D

And how is that ironic may I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Gutted. Travelled to the game with a bus full of under 11 players from our club, 6 of which were to be mascots on the day. Tears and many a pint in Fagans followed :( / :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Gutted. Travelled to the game with a bus full of under 11 players from our club, 6 of which were to be mascots on the day. Tears and many a pint in Fagans followed :( / :)

Pints for the under 11's?! :eek::p

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »

Surprise at that from a Donegal man :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Surprise at that from a Donegal man :eek:

lol, Touche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Eirebear wrote: »

Yeah, I might be in trouble on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Man U pick up support here automatically through success, Sunderland go looking for it. And then theres the fact that most el fans also support teams with Irish connections.

Anyway this has been going around in circles for years and is getting us nowhere, people like Gavin in particular really dont help, just makes the PL supporters more anti Irish.

Agree. Sunderland come here looking to cash in on Irish fans who are happy to throw their money at any English side, just cos they're English/in the EPL. Can't say I blame them, if Irish people are stupid enough to give them their money, best of luck to them and well done to their marketing department.

I agree with what shane86 said, I'll keep an eye out for how the Irish players are performing with whatever club they're at, just as I'll watch out for Harrington in the golf etc.

Personally I'd be a bit disappointed with the new Irish Sunderland fans because if they're going to make an effort to follow a team, spend cash on travelling to their games, match tickets, jersies, scarves and so on, then there are plenty of teams here they could support for more cheaply and easily. They would then be supporting an actual Irish club, not one with an "Irish connection". If they're so worried about making sure they support clubs they see as Irish, there's plenty of eLOI clubs for them to choose from. That's what's a bit sad about the new Sunderland fans IMO.
    Yep , people will support any old hoofing ****e thats dressed up as football just because its called the national league.

If you dont like people supporting English teams thats fine

No problem with people supporting English teams, but sometimes wonder why they are then the very ones who are cheering against England in any international match. Also, very few Irish people actually attend games, they only support they give the English clubs is financial buy buying their jersies and other merchandise. If that money was pumped into the national league for the next decade, them maybe the football in the eLOI would improve (although many eLOI games are far more entertaining that some of the tripe football fans were subjected to in the big Premiership games last year).

Of course people can spend their money on what they like, be fans of whoever they want, but I do find it disappointing that the vast majority of "football fans" will just lap up whatever English team with an Irish connection that is marketed and publicised in the media.

All of the above said, I had a laugh when I heard the game got called off, it capped off a great week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Publin wrote: »
    Agree. Sunderland come here looking to cash in on Irish fans who are happy to throw their money at any English side, just cos they're English/in the EPL. Can't say I blame them, if Irish people are stupid enough to give them their money, best of luck to them and well done to their marketing department.

I agree with what shane86 said, I'll keep an eye out for how the Irish players are performing with whatever club they're at, just as I'll watch out for Harrington in the golf etc.

Personally I'd be a bit disappointed with the new Irish Sunderland fans because if they're going to make an effort to follow a team, spend cash on travelling to their games, match tickets, jersies, scarves and so on, then there are plenty of teams here they could support for more cheaply and easily. They would then be supporting an actual Irish club, not one with an "Irish connection". If they're so worried about making sure they support clubs they see as Irish, there's plenty of eLOI clubs for them to choose from. That's what's a bit sad about the new Sunderland fans IMO.

No problem with people supporting English teams, but sometimes wonder why they are then the very ones who are cheering against England in any international match. Also, very few Irish people actually attend games, they only support they give the English clubs is financial buy buying their jersies and other merchandise. If that money was pumped into the national league for the next decade, them maybe the football in the eLOI would improve (although many eLOI games are far more entertaining that some of the tripe football fans were subjected to in the big Premiership games last year).

Of course people can spend their money on what they like, be fans of whoever they want, but I do find it disappointing that the vast majority of "football fans" will just lap up whatever English team with an Irish connection that is marketed and publicised in the media.

All of the above said, I had a laugh when I heard the game got called off, it capped off a great week!!

Although I can see what you're saying, I think you're being a bit cynical about the intentions of Sunderland.

You talk as if Sunderland are somehow exploiting Irish fans and damaging the Irish domestic game, but it could as easily be argued that Sunderland considerably benefit the teams they play. For example, the tickets sold for the friendlies in Dublin over the last 3 Summers were bought on a double-header basis - i.e. your ticket entitled you to the Sunderland game and a league game, and were priced accordingly. This means that Sunderland traveling over from the UK pump a bit more money into the host club, while Irish people attending the game, in theory, get to visit a game in their domestic league.

Of course, Sunderland visit Ireland each Sumemr to grow the SAFC 'brand' too, but I definately think it's of mutual benefit. Shelbourne, Bohs, Cork City, Cobh, Galway and Athlone have all benefitted financial over the past 3 years, as would have Shamrock Rovers was it not for the rain.

You might be surprised how many Irish fans make the trip over to the Stadium of Light too. The Saturday morning Ryanair to Newcastle Airport is 90% red and white if Sunderland are at home.

I agree with your point about the paradox of Irish Premier League fans doing the 'Anyone but England' thing however - as a Englishman living in Ireland, I find it a little maddening. I'm always put in mind of the 'No to British Games' Celtic fan outside Croker a year or so ago ;)

Seen two people yesterday in town, one wearing a Funderland tracksuit and a Man U jersey and the other one wearing a Celtic tracksuit on Funderland jersey. The joys of the Oirish fans.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Seen two people yesterday in town, one wearing a Funderland tracksuit and a Man U jersey and the other one wearing a Celtic tracksuit on Funderland jersey. The joys of the Oirish fans.:rolleyes:

or to put it another way, "Boy, everyone is stupid except me"---Homer Simpson ;)

Shut up shut up SHUT UP! NOBODY ****ING CARES!!!

Before all this, if Shels reached the CL qualifiers and faced Celtic I would have slightly leaned to Shels, being the smaller team.

After all of Gavins guff I hope if the match ever does happen it is 12-0 at home and 11-0 away, record breaking stuff.*

*: may be an exaggeration, but the Celtic/Sunderland stuff is embarassing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

shane86 wrote: »
    may be an exaggeration, but the Celtic/Sunderland stuff is embarassing at this stage.

Embarrassing for those who follow them yes. Excellent point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Embarrassing for those who follow them yes. Excellent point :rolleyes:

It seems to be that the Eircom league fans are extremely chippy - it hardly makes following the domestic league especially appealing.

Can't we all just get along?

• Advertisement
Advertisement