Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock v Sundireland off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seen two people yesterday in town, one wearing a Funderland tracksuit and a Man U jersey and the other one wearing a Celtic tracksuit on Funderland jersey. The joys of the Oirish fans.:rolleyes:

I suppose that was ironic as well was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

spav wrote: »
    It seems to be that the Eircom league fans are extremely chippy

A bit of Liam Brady (the footballer not the pundit) isn't a bad quality...;)

Dunno why this topic rises people so much. I don't follow any EL team (or 1st division team) but like watching a good game of football. Anyone who says the standard of football in the EL is crap has either never played the game or never watched a game live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Embarrassing for those who follow them yes. Excellent point :rolleyes:

So it's ok for some of us who have followed Liverpool or Utd etc for years but new fans are not allowed to choose Sunderland? Many things effect who you choose to support.

Out of the EL teams who am I "allowed" to follow. (to adhere to the strict rules) . Do I have to stick to a Dublin club because I'm from Dublin? If so, which one. Until next season at the earliest , Tallaght has no team so if I choose Bohs am I glory hunting or do I deliberately have to choose Shels cos they are ****e?

The people supporting Sunderland are either fairweather fans anyway if they swap from another team /people with a general interest in football but never nailled their flag to any particular mast or are kids picking a team.

At the end of the day, theres an element of EL fans on here that have massive chips on their shoulder because some people dont like what they like and keep banging on about it. Whatever it is they think they are doing, while they might not be harming the EL (although imo in a tiny way they are) they certainly are not helpign it. Peopel generally dont like to be harasshed into things and it's more likely to drive people away.

oobydooby wrote: »

Dunno why this topic rises people so much. I don't follow any EL team (or 1st division team) but like watching a good game of football..

It gets a rise because the above named element of EL fans cant stand that people choose to watch the PL instead. I dont remember any of these conversations starting with a PL fan demanding an EL fan stop watchign the EL and switch to the PL.
    oobydooby wrote: »
    Anyone who says the standard of football in the EL is crap has either never played the game or never watched a game live.

My dad played in the LOI and he reckons it's ****e, but hey, what would he know.

Why am I allowed to say a particular player is crap but not allowed have an opinion on a league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Stekelly wrote: »
    So it's ok for some of us who have followed Liverpool or Utd etc for years but new fans are not allowed to choose Sunderland? Many things effect who you choose to support.

Out of the EL teams who am I "allowed" to follow. (to adhere to the strict rules) . Do I have to stick to a Dublin club because I'm from Dublin? If so, which one. Until next season at the earliest , Tallaght has no team so if I choose Bohs am I glory hunting or do I deliberately have to choose Shels cos they are ****e?

The people supporting Sunderland are either fairweather fans anyway if they swap from another team /people with a general interest in football but never nailled their flag to any particular mast or are kids picking a team.

At the end of the day, theres an element of EL fans on here that have massive chips on their shoulder because some people dont like what they like and keep banging on about it. Whatever it is they think they are doing, while they might not be harming the EL (although imo in a tiny way they are) they certainly are not helpign it. Peopel generally dont like to be harasshed into things and it's more likely to drive people away.

Would make more sense to support a Dublin team as itll make it easier to get to matches, as well as being from Tallaght Rovers would make sense because you are a Liverpool fan - both still talk about how they were a big team in the 80s. As for the EL fans with chips on their shoulders - its a small minority and they all seem to support Shels. It works both ways btw, I got more and more turned off the premiership listening to "how can yuo watch that ****e" from the premiership fans.

My dad played in the LOI and he reckons it's ****e, but hey, what would he know.

Why am I allowed to say a particular player is crap but not allowed have an opinion on a league?

If your Da is still playing in the loi fair enough but its come on massively in the last 5 years, or can I say that I saw Man Utd get relegated, they look like a fairly poor team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bohsman wrote: »
    If your Da is still playing in the loi fair enough but its come on massively in the last 5 years, or can I say that I saw Man Utd get relegated, they look like a fairly poor team.

TBH I know its a different league. Sure I used to go to every game of the season in the 80's with him (spent plenty of matchdays running up and down the stands in various grounds as a young child :)). My comment was more a flippant response to the implication that people who say bad things about EL football just dotn know anything about the game or have never played it.

Its usually true tho, the majority who slag the loi have watched a couple of games on tv or gone to the deportivo game if even that. Who did he play for anyway? If it was a Dublin club theres a perfect reason to support that team, unless the mistreated him of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Fair enough, I can't argue with that. IMO the standard is pretty good and very under-rated. Live football/sport is always more fun if you follow a team though, the sense of community and all that. But you can't force yourself to follow a team, it just happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Seen two people yesterday in town, one wearing a Funderland tracksuit and a Man U jersey and the other one wearing a Celtic tracksuit on Funderland jersey. The joys of the Oirish fans.:rolleyes:
    I find that too hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

eirebhoy wrote: »

Indeed.

Im not sure Ive ever seen tracksuits bar Celtic, international sides and the big four on sale anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

eirebhoy wrote: »
    shane86 wrote: »
    Indeed.

Im not sure Ive ever seen tracksuits bar Celtic, international sides and the big four on sale anyway.

I'll get hold of CCTV from Jervis St SC and JD Sports and I'll prove you wrong. I seen it with my own four eyes (yes I wear glasses).:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Us EL fans are so smug because the feeling of watching your team win in person can never be replicated by watching a team you have no real connection with on TV. I believe anyone can choose to do whatever they please. And we only give PL fans so much stick because of the "why would I watch that ****e" rubbish. Which would take a 5000 word post to vent all my feelings on so I'll refrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Us EL fans are so smug because the feeling of watching your team win in person can never be replicated by watching a team you have no real connection with on TV. I believe anyone can choose to do whatever they please. And we only give PL fans so much stick because of the "why would I watch that ****e" rubbish. Which would take a 5000 word post to vent all my feelings on so I'll refrain.

No sir, please do! There are many people that spring to mind that I would just love to forward such a post to! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

At the end of the day, theres an element of EL fans on here that have massive chips on their shoulder

No we don't. We are just better fans than you.
    It gets a rise because the above named element of EL fans cant stand that people choose to watch the PL instead. I dont remember any of these conversations starting with a PL fan demanding an EL fan stop watchign the EL and switch to the PL.

And I don't recall anyone 'demanding' you stop watching foreign leagues. Just that your opinion will be taken less seriously as a barstooler over a genuine fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No we don't. We are just better fans than you.

And I don't recall anyone 'demanding' you stop watching foreign leagues. Just that your opinion will be taken less seriously as a barstooler over a genuine fan.

I wish the EL all the best. Its just I have no interest in it anymore. I used to go to Turners Cross late 80's early 90's then gave up.

I know this makes you a better fan than me and me a barstooler (does watching at home make you a barstooler?) who will be taken less seriously by you and other real fans but hey I think I'II get over it. :)

If you've gone to 100's of games over the years but none in the past say 10 years does your credibility expire at some point ? :) I take your opinion quite seriously so hoping for a definitive answer.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I wish the EL all the best. Its just I have no interest in it anymore. I used to go to Turners Cross late 80's early 90's then gave up.

I know this makes you a better fan than me and me a barstooler (does watching at home make you a barstooler?) who will be taken less seriously by you and other real fans but hey I think I'II get over it. :)

If you've gone to 100's of games over the years but none in the past say 10 years does your credibility expire at some point ? :) I take your opinion quite seriously so hoping for a definitive answer.

You would be higher up the pyramid than the average olé-olé-er in the sense you have a domestic team that you used to go and see. You actually understand the culture of the game and its highs and lows. Why did you stop going?

Watching your team exclusively on tv makes you a barstooler, regardless of whether its your local team or not. Obviously if you were from Cork and watched Cork on tv, you would be a more rounded human being than if you were from Cork and watched Man Utd / Blackburn / Chelsea/ Leeds/ Sunderland (whoever is in vogue at the moment, I don't care).

It amuses me that Liverpool fans who have never been to the city, never mind watch 'their' side expect to be taken seriously as football fans. You are consumers with no real affinity to your 'team'. As such, you miss out on all the emotions and experiences that make you a real fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

You would be higher up the pyramid than the average olé-olé-er in the sense you have a domestic team that you used to go and see. You actually understand the culture of the game and its highs and lows. Why did you stop going?

Watching your team exclusively on tv makes you a barstooler, regardless of whether its your local team or not. Obviously if you were from Cork and watched Cork on tv, you would be a more rounded human being than if you were from Cork and watched Man Utd / Blackburn / Chelsea/ Leeds/ Sunderland (whoever is in vogue at the moment, I don't care).

It amuses me that Liverpool fans who have never been to the city, never mind watch 'their' side expect to be taken seriously as football fans. You are consumers with no real affinity to your 'team'. As such, you miss out on all the emotions and experiences that make you a real fan.

Presumably then your opinion on anything to do with football, other than the games you've personally attended, is utterly worthless then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Us EL fans are so smug because the feeling of watching your team win in person can never be replicated by watching a team you have no real connection with on TV.

So what do you think of lads who go to 15/20 PL games a season...?you cant call them TV fans.

Presumably then your opinion on anything to do with football, other than the games you've personally attended, is utterly worthless then?

And the prize for missing the point goes to....

My opinion as a season ticket holder at two clubs, matchday volunteer, kids coach, occasional referee and player is more relevent than some olé olé who watches match of the day once a week and picked his 'side' on a whim.

Its about experiences I suppose. Dublin based Blackburn fans have very, very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Dub13 wrote: »
    So what do you think of lads who go to 15/20 PL games a season...?you cant call them TV fans.

Fair play to them, at least they actually get out and support the team they've decided to follow, rather than sitting in the pub. Real fans go to games.

Yes there's exceptions when you actively move from the area to live abroad or something, but typically I would say real fans attend games, regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

And the prize for missing the point goes to....

My opinion as a season ticket holder at two clubs, matchday volunteer, kids coach, occasional referee and player is more relevent than some olé olé who watches match of the day once a week and picked his 'side' on a whim.

Its about experiences I suppose. Dublin based Blackburn fans have very, very little.

I respectfully disagree. I've went from being a match-going 30 game a season Sunderland supporter to someone who now maybe makes it to 3 games a season. I don't think the relevance of my opinion on the team has diminished, nor do I dismiss the opinion of any of Sunderland's new Irish fans on the basis that I'm from the area and they're not. Football support is not a competition.

I respectfully disagree. I've went from being a match-going 30 game a season Sunderland supporter to someone who now maybe makes it to 3 games a season. I don't think the relevance of my opinion on the team has diminished, nor do I dismiss the opinion of any of Sunderland's new Irish fans on the basis that I'm from the area and they're not. Football support is not a competition.

You are a Sunderland fan from Sunderland who, when you lived there were a regular.

Your opinion counts.

Deco from Cabra who loves Arsenal, but has never been to London, who picked his team because they won the league the year that he realised he was a footie fan's opinion does not.

Whats difficult about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

What really grinds my gears in the EL/EPL is when EPL fans are used to watching their million pound stars on tv every week and then when they eventually decide to check out the EL they are disgusted at the cr@pness of it all compared to what they are used to watching on the box.

And yes, you have to appreciate their point ... Kildare County v Monaghan will definately look rubbish against Liverpool v Man Utd, but some of them cant realise that the only reason Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool et al are able to have fantastic players, facilities etc is that people are pumping money into them in one form or another on a weekly basis.

Some still dont realise that a lot of the work behind the scenes of a club is done on a voulentary basis by people who give up their spare time and money for nothing more than a love of the club and not the wads of cash injected by English/Irish/Russian/American/Whoever tycoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Football support is not a competition.

Brilliant statement, sums it up very well.

People who think their opinion is more valid based on their participation in something are just arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yet it also seems logical, opinions become far more valid and informed through experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

But your team is crap at football OhKnowYouDidn't! Id rather watch them have a go at a game of cricket than watch them playing football.

We're all consumers, some of us only buy the best products though. It's called good taste.

Draupnir wrote: »
    But your team is crap at football OhKnowYouDidn't! Id rather watch them have a go at a game of cricket than watch them playing football.

We're all consumers, some of us only buy the best products though. It's called good taste.
    So what if your team goes down and becomes poor? Leeds fans? "Buy" the "inferior" "crap" "product" as brand loyalty in the hope it will one day be "a best product" again.

Why doesn't everyone support Barcelona then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Or glory hunting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That's the biggest load of bollocks. So you admit you support whoever you do just because they win the most. That's idiotic.

no, I'm a fan. you are a consumer. and to prove my point, if you see 'picking' a football team as the same thing as your brand of aftershave or what type beer you drink your opinion becomes less valid.

• Advertisement

People who think their opinion is more valid based on their participation in something are just arrogant.

Is there an award for inane post of the month? I got lagged for a week for calling someone an idiot, so I won't.

Think about what you just said and then extrapolate it into the rest of your life.

"Sorry Doc, I hear what you are saying, but disagree about whether I need surgery because I watch Grays Anatomy".

no, I'm a fan. you are a consumer. and to prove my point, if you see 'picking' a football team as the same thing as your brand of aftershave or what type beer you drink your opinion becomes less valid.

My opinion is less valid, in your opinion, which, in my opinion, is less valid. Can you see how we might need a few comma's if I continue this sentence?

Tell me how you picked Rovers as your team and tell me where you live, I'll give you a couple of choices of more local football clubs that you should be supporting, if you were a real football fan. Which in my opinion you are not.

SantryRed wrote: »
    That's the biggest load of bollocks. So you admit you support whoever you do just because they win the most. That's idiotic.

You forgot to say, "in my opinion". Everything is relative.

You're from Santry? Why don't you support St. Kevins in Whitehall or Tolka Rovers over in Glasnevin, there's Ballymun United aswell or even DCU have a Senior football team.

How did you choose Shelbourne?

So what if your team goes down and becomes poor? Leeds fans? "Buy" the "inferior" "crap" "product" as brand loyalty in the hope it will one day be "a best product" again.

Why doesn't everyone support Barcelona then? :)

Brand loyalty, I like it. Personally, I don't care what anyone else does.

Publin wrote: »
    Or glory hunting...

Glory hunting is relative aswell, picking a team for their abilities is fine with me even if they happy to be the team on top. I don't agree with changing team though, that to me is the only situation in football support I have a problem with.

My opinion is less valid, in your opinion, which, in my opinion, is less valid. Can you see how we might need a few comma's if I continue this sentence?

Tell me how you picked Rovers as your team and tell me where you live, I'll give you a couple of choices of more local football clubs that you should be supporting, if you were a real football fan. Which in my opinion you are not.

This is fantastic stuff. :D

You chose your football team as a brand and have the brass neck to tell me I'm not a real football fan?!? :eek:

Keep 'em coming, thats hilarious.

You're not a real football fan because the team you follow don't play football, or at least anything I would acknowledge as football, therefore I would happily say that you don't know anything about football since you have never seen it played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Is there an award for inane post of the month? I got lagged for a week for calling someone an idiot, so I won't.

Think about what you just said and then extrapolate it into the rest of your life.

"Sorry Doc, I hear what you are saying, but disagree about whether I need surgery because I watch Grays Anatomy".

Lets say I watch a certain team on TV, read their and other football websites, read the papers and go to games a couple of times a year and by all accounts have a good knowledge of the game.

Is my opinion less valid that that of someone who stands in the rain at Longford every other week ?.

This reminds me of that old tread ' Beauts and Teds' http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=306535

This arrogant p**ck reckons that in order to have a convesation with him you have top produce evidence of attendance at local football

You're not a real football fan because the team you follow don't play football, or at least anything I would acknowledge as football, therefore I would happily say that you don't know anything about football since you have never seen it played.

So no-one outside of Barcelona can claim to be a football fan. Excellent.

• Advertisement

Lets say I watch a certain team on TV, read their and other football websites, read the papers and go to games a couple of times a year and by all accounts have a good knowledge of the game.

Is my opinion less valid that that of someone who stands in the rain at Longford every other week ?.

Yes.

In the same way your medical opinion based on watching your Gray's Anatomy DVD is less relevant than a practicing GP, regardless of how exciting his patients are. You don't know more about the law from watching Boston Legal than a solicitor.

So no-one outside of Barcelona can claim to be a football fan. Excellent.

That's not what I said, can you read? I consider many teams to play football, I don't class hoof merchants like your team footballers, therefore I think you are a ball hoofing fan rather than a football fan.

That's my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this game still off? :pac:

Mike.

That's not what I said, can you read? I consider many teams to play football, I don't class hoof merchants like your team footballers, therefore I think you are a ball hoofing fan rather than a football fan.

That's my opinion.

And to prove my point....

Rovers, for all their faults, are not a hoofball team. If you had any understanding of football, you would know that.

QED, Olé-ers should not be listened to. Because their opinions are badly formed.

Rovers are not a hoofball team, in your opinion. You keep forgetting that, get with the program.

Rovers are not a hoofball team, in your opinion. You keep forgetting that, get with the program.

But my opinion is based on watching them. Yours is based on the voices in your head.

So my opinion is more valid.

And round and round we go.

• Advertisement

Did I say that I haven't watched Rovers? I've seen a fair bit of LoI football, enjoyed some of it too. It wasn't good football for the most part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

You forgot to say, "in my opinion". Everything is relative.

You're from Santry? Why don't you support St. Kevins in Whitehall or Tolka Rovers over in Glasnevin, there's Ballymun United aswell or even DCU have a Senior football team.

How did you choose Shelbourne?

I presume you're using an extreme interpretation of how eLOI fans say you should be supporting an eLOI team because they're your local club. I think you're (deliberately) missing the point, which as you already know, is that you can be from anywhere in Dublin and still get to see UCD, Shamrock Rovers, St. Pats, Bohs and Shelbourne without any major effort or travel involved, and attend games regularly and support them. I don't think most of the eLOI fans who post on here would have any real issue with people who support an English club regularly attended their EPL games. Also, St. Kevins, Tolka Rovers etc., are not in the eircom League.
    Glory hunting is relative aswell, picking a team for their abilities is fine with me even if they happy to be the team on top. I don't agree with changing team though, that to me is the only situation in football support I have a problem with.

Just to take this point together with your one above, if I start supporting say DCU because I go to college there, and I then finish college and move to Cork, should I still support DCU or should I support my new local team and forget about DCU? Cos I should support my local club, yet I shouldn't switch clubs... the argument gets a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But my opinion is based on watching them. Yours is based on the voices in your head.

So my opinion is more valid.

And round and round we go.

But Rovers are very often a hoofball team. And I watch them too.

Publin wrote: »
    the argument gets a bit ridiculous.

I agree, I was just taking the mick out of OhNoYouDidn't when I was bored at work, I don't care who anyone follows. I do think Rovers are brutal though.

God bless t'internet! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement