Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

worst car manufacturer for reliability

Options
  • 09-08-2008 5:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

who is the worst. if other please specifiy. its fiat for me anyway

worst car manufacturer for reliability 168 votes

alfa
    0%
    audi
    10%
    Shamoondaflyknifey_spoonieagent_smithregeditawhirthebmanDammerBeta Ray Billdjhaxmankeanebg1Redrover1999DwillyCharlieCrokerMr Benevolentstillhere08Heroditaspastyp 18 votes
    bmw
    0%
    musiknonstop 1 vote
    toyota
    3%
    jimmycrackcormCrowdedHousejazzykquattro777superjosh9pandamoanium 6 votes
    fiat
    2%
    alias no.9emurphyVHmumhaabu 4 votes
    citroen
    18%
    gurramokseanosdcGTSean^DCT4busmanThe Real B-manNightwishjoxers25tredergonomicsMellorKashkaicolly10dr.bollockoalkalinemonoNiall06spiderdanDancorGERMAN ROCKSwill1977 31 votes
    peugeot
    5%
    jim_bobL1011mijumobbyDiddy KongBluefoamkollegeknightNewApproachronnie3585m2wua0ox56iz93 10 votes
    nissan
    7%
    gary the greatHashSlingingcopaceticNiSmObretttp1ScouseMouse5uspectjustfortherecorkakiNotch000Ferrisfrangleberry 12 votes
    renault
    0%
    ProjectC 1 vote
    mazda
    19%
    StephenStarkMailmanmondeomanE@gle.RichyXDe HipsterTheDrivergafarrellAlanDNonoperationalPaulieCHenry Ford IIIDarandothe merchantMr.DiagnosticDamien360E92QuintL-M 33 votes
    ford
    0%
    opel
    2%
    slogueposhndecsseamusm99audismelly 4 votes
    merc
    4%
    king_of_inismacrabbitinlightsboomerangTerrontressBirofastracCadzer 7 votes
    land rover
    2%
    puntosportinghellboy99killbillvol2Victor_M 4 votes
    honda
    4%
    Guy:IncognitoMr. PresentableCionádVolvoboyCosmo KClare_GuywoodsebWoodgate 8 votes
    hyundai
    1%
    knuthwallyworld 2 votes
    vw
    0%
    Mandzhalas 1 vote
    mitsubishi
    13%
    bytetuxyrockybillbond4colsers22scargillquad_redmaidhclassykkfacemanmloc123siralfalotracso1975gofaster_s1310-10-20Money ShotCj MacmthdSVgranturismo 22 votes
    skoda
    2%
    magickskyhighflyerEasy RiderRAUL DUKE 4 votes
    other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

An age old question - it varies according to what you read...

Last one I read Honda, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, Skoda did well.

The French marques you are constantly championing - Peugeot and Citroen - are generally at or near bottom of the barrel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

mazda
    Ooh, I can see some fireworks coming out of this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

peugeot
    Voted Citroen due to my employers (former) fleet then remembered the constant failures that my colleagues in work with Renaults as their personal cars have.

Anyone who votes Fiat hasn't touched a recent one, simple as. Indestructable now, one of the few European marques to get towards the top of the Top Gear reliability survey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

citroen
    MYOB wrote: »
    Voted Citroen due to my employers (former) fleet then remembered the constant failures that my colleagues in work with Renaults as their personal cars have.

Anyone who votes Fiat hasn't touched a recent one, simple as. Indestructable now, one of the few European marques to get towards the top of the Top Gear reliability survey.

what model of fiat do you have youself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

mitsubishi
    here comes all the renault votes from the people who have only ever owned lagunas or haven't owned a renault at all..

oh deary. Anyway! from personal experience and hear say, VWs..modern ones..shocking cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

mazda
    Renault. Safest car to buy because you wont be on the road much.
    Or VW

peugeot
    what model of fiat do you have youself

Panda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

mazda
    Renault - primarily for the Laguna and the Megane Cabrio!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

toyota
    BMW for me........had to towed in for the first time in over a quarter of century of car ownership...just over 4000 km on clock...no letter or phone call of (feigned)apology from BMW either.

Have owned 1 Ford,5 Honda,1 Audi & 1 VW

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

subaru impreza - worst bar none in my book...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

honda
    Land Rover for sure - all the others are modern technology and "generally" reliable. Of course, everone has their horror stories, but no-one has owned everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

fiat
    I voted toyota because this is a stupid pole. In order to make an informed vote you would need to have owned a huge number of cars from the same era.
    Some people may have experience of managing fleets and will have a better insight based on that but that does not control for driver neglect and abuse. All in all, it's a stupid vote.

Oh and by the way GERMAN ROCKS, what fiat have you owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

citroen
    See theres votes up there for toyota, how exactly?

mazda
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    Some people may have experience of managing fleets and will have a better insight based on that but that does not control for driver neglect and abuse.

I've worked in fleet for 6 years, so I'd say I've got a pretty qualified opinion when I say that I'm VERY surprised to hear BMW, Subaru or Toyota mentioned.

pburns has it down cold.
    All in all, it's a stupid vote.

Quite possibly not the most scientific poll, but all-in-all (as long as everyone doesn't get defensive and OT) it's an interesting thread - a nice break from the VRT threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

honda
    AudiChris wrote: »

Quite possibly not the most scientific poll, but all-in-all (as long as everyone doesn't get defensive and OT) it's an interesting thread - a nice break from the VRT threads...

In fairness. A large proportion is based on heresay.

Renault dont come bottom (they do come near the bottom alright of the surveys, hell, they dotn even come bottom of the french marques most of the time, yet will come bottom of this poll.

Theres generally only a few % between quite a few makes anyway so a few issues either way could move a marque up or down quite a bit.

Irelands new love for A4's , making them pretty much the new VW here has clouded a lot of people judgement too. "the man down the pub" syndrome that VW thrived on for years is doing them a good turn. I seem to remember them finishing mid to low down the table in a few of last years surveys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

merc
    Oh and by the way GERMAN ROCKS, what fiat have you owned?

He has owned none, as he's too young to drive or have a license.

mazda
    Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness. A large proportion is based on heresay.

It's a bit of fun, that's all. Noone should make a purchasing decision based on the opinions in this thread.
    Renault dont come bottom (they do come near the bottom alright of the surveys, hell, they dotn even come bottom of the french marques most of the time, yet will come bottom of this poll.

Theres generally only a few % between quite a few makes anyway so a few issues either way could move a marque up or down quite a bit.

True, Citroen and Peugeot are equally bad.

When VW were having their ignition coil issues I had one or two drivers trying to hand their keys back to me. But that was repeated occurrences of the same problem, with a complete lack of backup from the repairing dealers (which has been documented extensively in boards.ie, I'd expect...).
    Irelands new love for A4's , making them pretty much the new VW here has clouded a lot of people judgement too. "the man down the pub" syndrome that VW thrived on for years is doing them a good turn. I seem to remember them finishing mid to low down the table in a few of last years surveys.

If we're going to base it on surveys, this one's not bad:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/archive/?group=category&cat=build_quality
    Funnily enough, I'd say it'll mirror the casual results you'll find here quite closely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

fiat
    AudiChris wrote: »
    If we're going to base it on surveys, this one's not bad:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/archive/?group=category&cat=build_quality
    Funnily enough, I'd say it'll mirror the casual results you'll find here quite closely!
    there the results for build quality youve quoted - I thought they looked a bit strange at first

reliability ones here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/archive/?group=category&cat=reliability

which basically goes honda toyota honda toyota honda toyota toyota toyota honda skoda :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

skoda
    mitsubishi galant , aka the boneshaker omg what a bad car it was

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mazda
    Voted renault from bad experience when trading in, and giving warranty. Electrics this and electrics that. I would be very warey trading in any in the future. Although saying that i did come into ownership of a scenic a month of two back and all the hidden compartments were very well thought out.

After that, even though i'm a huge vw fan, i would vote them next. Between 5 of us we have owned 11 Vw's in the last 6 years and they do tend to wear down alot once they get older, so much so now when we get a problem we just move it on again and buy another. (A 00 Polo being the main culprit spending over 700 euro at the time trying to get something easy fixed which never did).

As for Fiat, the sister has owned a Punto for the last 6 years, and only for stupid modifications she put on it to wear down the battery i would have absolutely no complaints about the car. Never had any problems except for one recall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mazda
    VH wrote: »
    there the results for build quality youve quoted - I thought they looked a bit strange at first

reliability ones here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/archive/?group=category&cat=reliability

which basically goes honda toyota honda toyota honda toyota toyota toyota honda skoda :eek:

A few surpises though:

Renault Clio 26th Better than expected
    Honda Civic 27th Worse
    Audi A4 36th Worse
    Audi A3 45th Worse
    VW Golf 54th Worse
    MINI 62nd Way worse
    VW Passat 77th Worse

Renaut got the bottom two slots with Laguna and Scenic.

mazda

Oops! :o

Thanks.

About what you'd expect really, I was amazed Toyota was mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

IMO Fiat, Ford and Renault are 3 of the worst makes of car on the road at the moment.

I used to own a Citroen, and have to say that I never had a problem with its reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd like to vote but I can't make my mind up between VW, Renault and LandRover.........

Decisions, decisions..... :D

peugeot
    Has ANYONE thats voted for Fiat owned a less than five year old one? Not driven, actually owned one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

toyota
    I'm glad I've got a saab as it can't possibly get a low vote in this poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

citroen
    MYOB wrote: »
    Has ANYONE thats voted for Fiat owned a less than five year old one? Not driven, actually owned one?
    had the misfortune to drive a 05 punto for the last two weeks while my car was in being serviced.. what a pile of ****.....

peugeot
    minxie1 wrote: »
    had the misfortune to drive a 05 punto for the last two weeks while my car was in being serviced.. what a pile of ****.....

Mark 2 Punto, designed in 1999. Not comparable to a current model.

Got near to a quarter of a million K on three modern models in the family here and not one of them has broken down - once.

Anyway, did you vote on perceived 'niceness' or actual reliability? This thread is about the latter and only the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

honda
    minxie1 wrote: »

It broke down in the 2 weeks you have it?, or do you just not like the car?

What car have you btw?, why is it taking 2 weeks for a service? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

citroen
    Cionád wrote: »
    It broke down in the 2 weeks you have it?, or do you just not like the car?

What car have you btw?, why is it taking 2 weeks for a service? ;)
    engine roars, bumpy suspension,no cornering control,
    felt totally unsafe in it...
    engine very noisy while driving, am i being fair??
    personally i drive a golf....

Advertisement