Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

worst car manufacturer for reliability

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mazda
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound patronising but:

I know a guy who owns a golf that breaks down constantly... :rolleyes:

BTW, if the wiper motor was broken it would have been replaced under warranty...

Was it a second hand 206 were the breaks maintained. Were they drum breaks on the 206 as opposed to disks on the golf - was the 206 in a much lower price bracket than the golf and therefore had less powerful breaks.

I once drove a Porsche Boxter and the brakes were better than a Ford Focus... I had a 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta and the breaks weren't great...

If you want uprated equipment on a car, you pay for it.

You can't even spell "brakes". Give us a break! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

citroen
    Zube wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with it, it just sounds weird. My fridge chills things efficiently, it doesn't break down and it's big enough for the family, but I don't love it. It's just an appliance.

Well i do love it! Its so comfortable, love the high seats cos my hips ache in low ones...love the centre console and the way i have no hump on the floor in the back and can actually fit 3 adults in the back and i love the look of it! I love my car, its not just my appliance its my 2nd baby...had it since 1km!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mazda
    laurak265 wrote: »
    Well i do love it! Its so comfortable, love the high seats cos my hips ache in low ones...love the centre console and the way i have no hump on the floor in the back and can actually fit 3 adults in the back and i love the look of it! I love my car, its not just my appliance its my 2nd baby...had it since 1km!!

Good for you. Well wear.

p.s. The Auris is still a deeply average car however.

citroen
    Good for you. Well wear.

I have a two year old i won't be booting it anywhere! It gets me from a to b and i don't hate each journey so happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

peugeot
    Zube wrote: »
    My fridge chills things efficiently...

... and it's big enough for the family

:eek:

• Advertisement

peugeot

Horses for courses. The Auris suits her needs & she likes it. VW's are a very average car to me, yet some people like them & I won't take that away from them...

citroen
    Horses for courses. The Auris suits her needs & she likes it. VW's are a very average car to me, yet some people like them & I won't take that away from them...

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

This poll is completely flawed. Unless you have owned cars from all of the above manufacturers your opinion is otherwise worthless.
    I owned only VWs so of all the cars I've owned they have given me the most trouble. Should I vote for them?

Or is this all opinoins formed from uncles of cousins who read threads on boards about Fiat and Alfa.

peugeot
    This poll is completely flawed.

This is an internet forum, you didn't expect accurate results did you? I usually go by the TopGear survey...

Still, this thread did throw up some interesting debate. Isn't that what its all about?

From this forum I have been able to evaluate that Fiats are deadly if they are from the new generation, **** if they aren't, VW are one of the worst makes out there, Alfa's are deadly, so don't listen to your cousin, Renaults are made of butter and old boot laces and Mercedes owners don't know how to use computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

mazda
    From this forum I have been able to evaluate that Fiats are deadly if they are from the new generation, **** if they aren't, VW are one of the worst makes out there, Alfa's are deadly, so don't listen to your cousin, Renaults are made of butter and old boot laces and Mercedes owners don't know how to use computers.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

And now we know where certain news papers get their statistics from...

mazda

Selective editing! I did also say "Good for you. Well wear".

The Auris remains a deeply average car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've just takena few marques from this survery as examples.

WhatCar 2007 reliability survery:

AUDI 20th of 26
    2006 position 22nd of 26
    Claims per 100 vehicles 34.7
    Average age 4.7 years
    Average mileage 54,730
    Average repair cost £372
    Average repair time 2.7 hours
    Best model A6 ('04-present)
    Worst model Allroad ('00-'05)

A slight improvement on last year, but still disappointing.

The main areas of concern were the electrical systems and axle and suspension.

Fuel systems accounted for a sixth of claims and proved particularly troublesome on the current A6.

The old-shape Allroad was Audi's most unreliable car, with 48 claims per 100 cars, but the previous TT was close behind with 47.

FIAT 13th of 26
    2006 position 20th of 26
    Claims per 100 vehicles 29.2
    Average age 4.8 years
    Average mileage 46,400
    Average repair cost £278
    Average repair time 2.3 hours
    Best model Stilo ('01-'07)
    Worst model Multipla ('99-present)

A decent improvement for Fiat. The Stilo and Bravo proved dependable, but the Multipla's 52% failure rate dragged down the company's overall result.

Fiat's average hourly labour rate was the third cheapest in the survey at £44 per hour, and the average repair cost was also reasonable at £278.

So if your Fiat does go wrong, chances are it won't cost you the earth to put it right.

PEUGEOT 11th of 26
    2006 position 8th of 26
    Claims per 100 vehicles 26.9
    Average age 4.8 years
    Average mileage 47,600
    Average repair cost £229
    Average repair time 2.2 hours
    Best model 206 CC ('00-'07)
    Worst model 206 ('98-'06)

Peugeot is streets ahead of Renault this year, but it is beaten by Citroen and drops out of the overall top 10, where it finished last year.

The 206 proved to be its worst model, with electrical problems cropping up for a third of owners.

However, only Skodas had lower average repair bills than Peugeots, which typically cost £229 to fix.

RENAULT 25th of 26
    2006 position 25th of 26
    Claims per 100 vehicles 44.3
    Average age 4.5 years
    Average mileage 46,400
    Average repair cost £270
    Average repair time 2.3 hours
    Best model Clio ('98-'05)
    Worst model Espace ('97-'02)

Renault is putting down roots at the bottom of our reliability league table. For the past three years, it has been anchored in 25th position.

SAAB 21st of 26
    2006 position 23rd of 26
    Claims per 100 vehicles 36.7
    Average age 5.1 years
    Average mileage 59,500
    Average repair cost £322
    Average repair time 2.4 hours
    Best model 9-5 ('01-present)
    Worst model 9-5 ('97-'01)

Saabs have the highest average mileage in this survey and they are the third-oldest cars, which perhaps explains the company's lowly ranking.

Electrical and suspension problems were responsible for six out of 10 faults. In fact, electrical problems dogged every model.

However, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. The old 9-5 model was the least-reliable Saab, but the current version was the company's best performer.

As you can see, if you want reliability from these makes, don't by a Saab or an Audi, buy a Fiat or a Peugot. Steer clear of Renault!! :pac:

However, Rover came 9th in that survey and here's what they have to say about that:
    On the face of it, Rover performed well, coming 9th overall, but its cars are the youngest in the survey and have the lowest annual mileage. Rover may well be further down the list in years to come

So, I can see Fiat improving next year thanks to the huge amount of new 500's on the road as well as good (new) Bravo sales in the UK. Time will tell if Fiat can increase reliability but I think it will.

Seems like I should have stuck with my Stilo instead of buying an unreliable Audi A3 :D:D

Here's a survey from Warranty Direct where you can see that VW< Audi, Saab, Skoda are all listed as less reliable than a Fiat, Citroen or a Peugot. Fiats are also more reliable than BMW's ;)
    1. Mazda - 8.04%
    2. Honda - 8.90%
    3. Toyota - 15.78%
    4. Mitsubishi - 17.04%
    5. Kia - 17.39%
    6. Subaru - 18.46%
    7. Nissan - 18.86%
    8. Lexus - 20.05%
    9. Mini - 21.90%
    10. Citroen - 25.98%
    11. Daewoo - 26.30%
    12. Hyundai - 26.36%
    13. Peugeot - 26.59%
    14. Ford - 26.76%
    15. Suzuki - 27.20%
    16. Porsche - 27.48%
    17. Fiat - 28.49%
    18. BMW - 28.64%
    19. Vauxhall - 28.77%
    20. Mercedes - 29.90%
    21. Rover - 30.12%
    22. Volvo - 31.28%
    23. Volkswagen - 31.44%
    24. Jaguar - 32.05%
    25. Skoda - 32.12%
    26. Chrysler - 34.90%
    27. Audi - 36.74%
    28. Seat - 36.87%
    29. Renault - 36.87%
    30. Alfa Romeo - 39.13%
    31. Saab - 41.59%
    32. Land Rover - 44.21%
    33. Jeep - 46.36%

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

honda
    pburns wrote: »
    You're really grasping at straws old mate:D!!

I'll admit I'd fall into the anti-Renault brigade based on EXPERIENCE of a family car (and friends' and neighbours' Meganes/Lagunas). Absolute ****heaps during 90's/early 00s at least. You seem fanatical in your defence of them which I'd understand if it was a marque like Alfa. But Renault?:confused: - French Fords since the early 80's. French Toyotas even (without the dependability obviously).

In general Renault have an appalling record (over the last 10-15 years in particular). Most other manufacturers made strides forwards in reliability but Renault moved backwards if anything - putting underdeveloped surprise-and-delight electronic gimmicks on their cars. Reliability surveys, the man in the street, the dogs in the street - everyone knows it. Your convoluted interpretations of reliability surveys is very funny (and pedantic!) :o

BTW I drove one of the new Lagunas and quite liked it. Loved the interior - high quality for the market sector without resorting to Germanic sameness. I really hope they can pull up their socks.

It had nothing to do with my general like for Renaults. If he had said the same sentence with Ford or Citroen for example I'd have had the same reaction. If one manufacturer was last overall and last in most catagories then the statement might have made sense but to single out one manufacturer which I dotn think was last in any catagory in the last round of surveys is just stupid. The claim was that they are all reliable bar Renault. Bu tif thats the case why are there worse cars/manufacturers in each sector?

Funny how Audi only gets one vote compare to 27 for Fiat despite the results of many surveys showing Audi to be less reliable!!

As it stands however, it's worth remembering that it only takes one weak model to wreck the reliability results for any marque.

honda
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Funny how Audi only gets one vote compare to 27 for Fiat despite the results of many surveys showing Audi to be less reliable!!.

This would be the "man down the pub" consesus I spoke of earlier. Some marques seem untouchable in this scheme. (VW and Audi seem the foundation of this line of thinking)
    3 or 4 times this week during car related conversations among work folk I've heard them say how VW aregreat cars (it is said in a deliberate, sweeping statement designed to show how great VW are) . If everyone of them fell apart I doubt that opinion would change. I wouldnt mind but the one guy that has a VW car, a Passat has been left stranded twice int he last month when it packed in (once the brake locked up, luckily in slow moving traffic just after he left work, cant remember the 2nd)
    As it stands however, it's worth remembering that it only takes one weak model to wreck the reliability results for any marque.

Or not in the case of VW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

merc
    Funny how Audi only gets one vote compare to 27 for Fiat despite the results of many surveys showing Audi to be less reliable!!

Inversly, it takes a hell of a lot of good cars to turn a marque around the other way!

honda
    Biro wrote: »
    Inversly, it takes a hell of a lot of good cars to turn a marque around the other way!

Yeah, bad name seems to be a bad name regardless. Fiat seem to be the poster boys for that around here.

Another example in the Laguna. The main issues surrounded the Laguna 2 phase 1 (01-05). Improvements in the facelift dont even seem to be noticed (Honest john : QUALITY VASTLY IMPROVED FROM 2005 FACELIFT AND LAGUNAS SINCE THEN HAVE HAD LITTLE TROUBLE) the caps are theirs, I copied and pasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

fiat
    Stekelly wrote: »
    This would be the "man down the pub" consesus I spoke of earlier.
    +1 or the car mag or jeremy clarkson or...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

citroen

It takes a long time to turn around a poor reputation and it's only the modern Fiats which are considered reliable

Advertisement