Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summons for motor tax

• 09-08-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I recently got a summons for not paying a fine for non-display motor tax in September 2007. This is the first i heard of the matter. The vehicle was parked on a publc road on the date of the offence, there was no note on the window, i never received a fine in the post and have a tax disc proving the vehicle was taxed at the time. My tax disc is dated 30 August so possibly it was spotted by the Garda in the day or two between the old disc expiring and getting the new one.

I have never been in court before and feel i have done nothing wrong. Is the fact i never received the fine in the post a genuine defence? What is the chance the judge will throw it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Make sure your motor tax to date is paid up then contact the garda who issued the summons with those details.

Not sure if any notice is required before summonsing you - there are such notice requirements in speeding summonses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I recently got a summons for not paying a fine for non-display motor tax in September 2007. This is the first i heard of the matter. The vehicle was parked on a publc road on the date of the offence, there was no note on the window, i never received a fine in the post and have a tax disc proving the vehicle was taxed at the time. My tax disc is dated 30 August so possibly it was spotted by the Garda in the day or two between the old disc expiring and getting the new one.

I have never been in court before and feel i have done nothing wrong. Is the fact i never received the fine in the post a genuine defence? What is the chance the judge will throw it out?
    Although you had a new tax disc, you are legally required to display a valid tax disc while the vehicle is in a public place. The Garda wouldn't have known that you had renewed it.

Is you vehicle registered at the correct address? AFAIK you are legally required to inform them of any change of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Wishbone, it was registered at my home address so i would have got anything that arrived in the post. Worse still, a Garda called and told my mother there was a court summons for me! Im renting in Dublin so she told them my address here.

Im sure everyone says they never got the fine in the post but its true. Thet should use registered mail or send a reminder. I cant really afford a lawyer on top of a fine of a few hundred. Even if i try to reason with the Garda i think its too late once the summons is issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A summons can be withdrawn anytime up to 4 days before the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Thanks for the replies.

Ill talk to the Garda and hopefully he is reasonable and withdraws it

• Advertisement
Advertisement