Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding alert!

Options
  • 09-08-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

As I type, parts of Cabra are under about two feet of water. If the rain keeps up I'm building an arch :D!!

Any where else get hit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I got hit in Chapelizod. Top of St Laurences Rd, 2nd floor apartment and I spend the heaviest period of the rain bailing out my balcony!! This was after I got caught outdoors in it. Utterly soaked, like I've never been soaked before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

as I'm typing i can hear the people on the ground floor sweeping water out of their apartments. Im on the second floor and the landing is completely ruined, it looks like all the water came from my neighbours apt. the landing carpet is soaked. ive no idea how water got up here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

boneless wrote: »
    If the rain keeps up I'm building an arch :D!!
    Would an ark not be better? ;):D

ark1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Would an ark not be better? ;):D

ark1.jpg

Stop picking on the dyslexics yah fkecer! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

BendiBus wrote: »
    I got hit in Chapelizod. Top of St Laurences Rd, 2nd floor apartment and I spend the heaviest period of the rain bailing out my balcony!! This was after I got caught outdoors in it. Utterly soaked, like I've never been soaked before :(

The Steeples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Bambi wrote: »
    as I'm typing i can hear the people on the ground floor sweeping water out of their apartments. Im on the second floor and the landing is completely ruined, it looks like all the water came from my neighbours apt. the landing carpet is soaked. ive no idea how water got up here :confused:

Sounds more like a leak in the roof / guttering / walls to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Ended up without a coat in town heading back to Blackhorse Avenue ... decided feck this .. grabbed a taxi ... there was some seriously flooding going on as we were going by and we'd have gotten VERY wet if we'd walked from the bus to our place ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Santry is pretty ****ed as well. Loads of cars stuck up to their windscreens in floods etc.

Port Tunnel is closed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sections of clonsilla are flooded with cars being abounded and people driving on the paths.
    Just waiting to hear about the tolka breaking it's banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tolka burst its banks about 2 hours ago at bridge beside Botanic Gardens.

Interesting fact: name Tolka comes from Irish 'toilceadh', meaning 'flooding'!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bren2002 wrote: »
    Sounds more like a leak in the roof / guttering / walls to me.

Its an apartment complex all i can think of is that the neighbour left a window open or, as you say, something leaked.

i was walking the dog when this started lashing down, when i got back to me old mans about 20 minutes into it his neighborhood was under water as it always is once the downpours start. Its looking bad for dublin if this keeps up tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I live on top of a hill so i've never been flooded!:D
    Just managed to get back from the gym in castleknock in time,the water was two feet deep over three hours ago.What it must be like now..

esel wrote: »

Last time it burst it's banks at this end and the N3 was under 5 ft of water.

The ancients knew a bit more about the landscape than our present town planners! :D

An older name for the Liffey was "Tempestuous", I will look up the Gaelic later but it's the reason the weir was put in at Chapelizod in the 17th century.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Last time it burst it's banks at this end and the N3 was under 5 ft of water.

That was the time Bertie was photographed standing up to his waste outside the local off-licence.There were cars floating around teh yard of a mechanics!
    Is it safe to go for a nosey and get some pics??

The ancients knew a bit more about the landscape than our present town planners! :D

An older name for the Liffey was "Tempestuous", I will look up the Gaelic later but it's the reason the weir was put in at Chapelizod in the 17th century.

AND that was in the days when there was ample soil to absorb the water,not like now where everything is concrete and the drainage rivers are all culverted.We've nobody to blame but ourselves!

Degsy wrote: »
    AND that was in the days when there was ample soil to absorb the water,not like now where everything is concrete and the drainage rivers are all culverted.We've nobody to blame but ourselves!

Yep which is why it was soooo clever that they have built on the tolka flood plain on the edge of tryell's town.
    Funnily enough google maps seems to think the Tolka rises at the botanics as it's only on the maps from there to the sea.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yep which is why it was soooo clever that they have built on the tolka flood plain on the edge of tryell's town.
    Funnily enough google maps seems to think the Tolka rises at the botanics as it's only on the maps from there to the sea.

I said it before and I will say it again, Capitalists don't give a sh!te about the environment or the generations to follow. Money now is the philosophy.

On topic, I just walked down to the New Cabra Road. It's bad. And I just recalled the ancient water course the Bradogue runs under part of Cabra...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Jesjes took a video up here in Beaumont:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I just walked back to Tyrellstown from Westpoint gym in Blanch. Traffic wasn't moving in the shopping centre at all, and passing over the bridge over the N3 I saw why. The river has burst its banks on to the N3, and traffic is backed up inbound as far as I could see, couldn't see any cars heading outbound at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Hmmm, I was hoping to get a bus into town this evening:(

Edit: Igy, that clip is mad! Can't believe how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hi neighbour (waves @ tetsujin1979). I was in the centre myself earlier before the rain got really bad and the roof in the centre itself started leaking and then some of the stores had to close because of flooding, staff were wiping up massive pools of water. Then as I was in M&S the water came up under a door from a back room or passageway and staff tried to block it off. One said there was about 2 feet of water in the basement. I knew then it would be a good idea to leave the place, fire brigade were there when I was leaving. As I passed over the N3 bridge I could see the outbound carraigeway flooding, it was down to one lane at the time.
    From looking at the Dublin City traffic cameras it appears to be still a no go now. Friends were to pop over to us from Clonee a little while ago but had to turn back as they couldn't get out of their estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

DFB and DCC are on the New Cabra Road at the moment unblocking drains and shores. Funny thing is they were asked to do this in Cabra a month ago when there was a wee flood. A little bit of action then could have possibly taken some of the rain away but I do realise that it is exceptional today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Santry is pretty ****ed as well. Loads of cars stuck up to their windscreens in floods etc.

Port Tunnel is closed to.

What parts of Santry are that bad? I've seen plenty of parts where the water's a few inches deep but nothing that bad yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

It took me about one hour to get home from Croke Park and I only live just over one mile away.

Collins Avenue East is flooded and the junction with the Malahide Road is just about passable. Some tarmac on the Malahide Road have been churned up by the water.
    Griffith Avenue is flooded, the N3,3 the N1....

Think I will get my scuba gear ready to go. I might even sleep with it on tonight!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The Tolka House (pub) is completely flooded, the place is ruined!

There is sporadic flooding up and down Griffith avenue, knee deep and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

flogen wrote: »
    What parts of Santry are that bad? I've seen plenty of parts where the water's a few inches deep but nothing that bad yet!
    jimeatsmenu's based over near me, near the Kilmardinny pub,
    My brother works in the cinema in omni and he said 2 screens are flooded and they've closed the entrance to the shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i thought there were supposed to fix the tolka there

Advertisement