Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm on a hill over in Valley Park but a bloke down the road had his ground floor flooded. Lost our electricity for a while so we had to go out to get food, decided to drive to Phibsbourogh on the Finglas Rd, very bad decision :(

Usually I enjoy a bit of end of the world type weather but it's gotten a bit extreme this time.

If the Tolka does burst I'd say things will get fairly bad....

All this wasnt helped by the new development beside Premier Square.There was a stream there that flows into the tolka that had trees and stuff around it to soak up the rain.A year or two back they culverted the stream and built over it so the rain just backs up and rolls down the dip in the road.They never think about stuff like this when they're building poxy apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Bad flooding at M1 at santry/port tunnel, santry stadium, the swiss cottage pub (water entered the pub). Dozens of cars stuck in water and abandoned on side motorways/roads. Got stuck on M1 after leaving cinema in swords at 8pm only home in glasnevin now nearly 3 hrs later (normally 20mins on a saturday). Few if any gardai on streets redirecting traffic along clear routes such as santry land and northwood. River of water running down M1 motorway (would'nt get that on the Autobahn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Bad flooding at M1 at santry/port tunnel, santry stadium, the swiss cottage pub (water entered the pub). Dozens of cars stuck in water and abandoned on side motorways/roads. Got stuck on M1 after leaving cinema in swords at 8pm only home in glasnevin now nearly 3 hrs later (normally 20mins on a saturday). Few if any gardai on streets redirecting traffic along clear routes such as santry land and northwood. River of water running down M1 motorway (would'nt get that on the Autobahn)

Just home myself its like a fcuking war zone even now i can hear sirens every 5 mins. Cars abandoned everywhere. Unreal.

There is a car at whitehall church at the start of the motorway at the water is up to the roof! People are taking pictures on the flyover bridge. Never seen anything like it. Went shopping in town today didnt expect this, had 10 month old baby with me. Dad rang to say be careful there are floods, little did i know.

Went to Ballyfermot instead of home to santry as traffic at a standstill, so did a u-turn. Took us 2 hours to get there, detour after detour. Still didnt realise the extent of the flooding til i seen it on the news then i was panicking about getting home with the baby. Was giving out fcuk to himself for dragging us out to Ballyfermot but judging by the earlier photo of santry we prob did the right thing as its not half as bad now.

I need a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Has anyone got photos of the devastation atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

i left blanchardstown, well tried to leave at half four, i have only just walked back in my door, i live in santry.
    yes, 6 and half hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Waded through knee high water today just to get home from work... without a jacket or an umbrella.

Truly glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hahahaha ;) I was wading around in water up over my ankles today going to the Shamrock Rovers V Sunderland match in Tolka Park - never entered my head it would be called off how thick am I :P

Took 2 hours to get home (Dublin 8) ended up getting train from drumcondra to connelly and luas and then walking. Judging by the traffic reckoned that was the best way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

sillymoo wrote: »
    Hahahaha ;) I was wading around in water up over my ankles today going to the Shamrock Rovers V Sunderland match in Tolka Park - never entered my head it would be called off how thick am I :P

Ah that's a rookie mistake. Chin up, son!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlmhauojey/
    Extreme flash floods in Dublin have caused long delays, gardaí warned tonight.

GAA fans leaving today’s Croke Park fixtures have been affected and a football match in the city between Shamrock Rovers and Sunderland cancelled.

The Port tunnel is among many roads impassable.

A Garda spokesman said “Garda diversions are currently in place around many parts of Dublin city due to severe flooding and long delays are to be expected.”

The N3 between Phibsboro and the Navan Road is particularly bad, while Blackhorse Avenue is currently closed off to traffic.

Motorists are also reporting flooding on the M50 on the northside of the toll bridge.

Dart, commuter and northern-bound train services are also expected to be affected by flooding near Malahide.

Malahide estuary flooded I hear. Some craic isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

More no-go areas added to the list of dangerous areas in Dublin :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

http://file044a.bebo.com/12/large/2008/08/09/18/683476199a8588429703l.jpg
    Welcome to the Tolka Park bar.

the Hoops will lose a fortune with tonights game being called off. Saying that, a few Hoops smashed up more than 65 seats in Richmond Park two weeks back, so their little kickabout with Roy Keanes Oirrrrish Army getting called off.........meh.

**is it due to rain tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Tried driving up the Oscar Traynor road earlier and it was flooded, some bloke was getting out of his van and just leaving it there. Most places do seem to be okay now but its begining to rain again and I decided to head home early just incse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

PrivateEye wrote: »
    **is it due to rain tomorrow?

From RTE Weather
    Tomorrow
    Sunday will have a mixture of sunny spells and scattered showers, although the showers will tend to die out in the evening. Blustery, westerly winds will make it feel fresher; highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees Celsius.

Although you never know because:
    Saturday 09 August 2008 ie Today

nat-today.gifToday's Weather
    Bright intervals and scattered showers for the rest of the evening, some heavy and locally thundery. Breezy but staying very mild or warm.

Tonight's Weather
    Further showers tonight in many areas with an ongoing risk of isolated thunderstorms, particularly in western counties. Fresh, gusty southwest winds will veer westerly but it will stay mild; lowest temperatures 12 to 14 degrees Celsius.

Thanks Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Does anyone know if the M1 been affected beside the port tunnel??

Does anyone know if the M1 been affected beside the port tunnel??

Last I heard it was closed in places, that ws a few hours ago though. I would expect it to be closed around laytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Does the M1 have traffic cameras like the ones on the M50??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just back from a few pints in Campions, Malahide road and as of 2am there's still flooding outside and in the car park.

The lounge was flooded earlier, but drying.

Must have done something to the pints, because they were more beautiful than ever :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Saw this link on the Weather Forum
    Just to give you an idea of what Santry was like, I couldnt pass this and had to turn back and go a different route for the third time! Took me over 2 hours to do a 20minute journey.
    Flooding in Santry

Also saw this at about 2am on the flyover at beaumont/santry over the M1
    Flooded M1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Lashing in swords here again!

Come on more flash floods! :D

E: aaaand it stopped :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think i hate Ireland.
    Out of cinema and the rain was so bad in the city i couldn't see.
    No coat as usual, Hour and half to get out of city, Just about semi dried and it starts lashing when i step off the bus.
    Some times.

just started again in Coolock and looks like its gonna last a while....Old Airport road is closed too for any one heading that way. And the tunnel must be still bad because the M1 was backed up from the tunnel to near Swords bout 90 minutes ago.

Looks like Campions for me again tonight, couldn't possibly sit in looking at this sh*t again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

I left lucan at 5 o clock to go to balbriggain thundered on to the m50 got passed the toll bridge and stop ten past ten I was at the airport roundabout turned around and back through the city, down by the porterhouse north traffic was going everywhere and yep you guessed it three cops talking amonst themselves not giving a **** whats going on got back to lucan at 11 straight down to the pub to bury myself in a barrell of scotch:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

More heavy rain coming tomorrow - hope they have the place mopped up by then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dawn breaking in Newport Harbour. 18C with about 4 knots breeze. Slight marine layer that should burn off by 10AMish. Should be another lovely day on the water.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Those pics of Santry are mad. Does anyone know how Malahide / Malahide Road beyond Clare Hall is?

Those pics of Santry are mad. Does anyone know how Malahide / Malahide Road beyond Clare Hall is?

Dunno for definite but somebody said Campions was flooded and thats around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Dawn breaking in Newport Harbour. 18C with about 4 knots breeze. Slight marine layer that should burn off by 10AMish. Should be another lovely day on the water.:cool:

smugness................meah

• Advertisement

Don't know what its like this afternoon.

But last night it was impassable from Haugheys gaff towards Malahide and the Mayne river burst its banks and overflowed into Campions pub carpark and lounge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement