Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you entitled to dispute the open market value of a car with the revenue?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

The reason I ask is a friend has to clear a car with a
    an open market selling value of €18,600 on the revenue site, yet the same car can be bought from a dealer for €13,000....

thanks
    dm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can he find ads, price listings etc with this €13,000 price on it? Does this car have loads of extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

the car is the exact same spec as an irish one....could print out carzone listings of the same car..

I don't think revenue will take much notice of Carzone.

It would be dealer listings from a newspaper that they might consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would dealer listings from carzone be sufficent? Or would they only accept main dealer prices.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

They will only take values "at first hand"

Lower dealer asking prices will be sufficient to argue a lower OMSP if you provide enough of them.
    They have to be dealer prices, not private prices, not auction prices.

It's up to the appelant to prove the OMSP is wrong, not up to Revenue to prove it is right.

• Advertisement

Mailman wrote: »
    They will only take values "at first hand"

Lower dealer asking prices will be sufficient to argue a lower OMSP if you provide enough of them.
    They have to be dealer prices, not private prices, not auction prices.

It's up to the appelant to prove the OMSP is wrong, not up to Revenue to prove it is right.
    I take it you would have to pay the higher VRT first and then appeal? Or will they look at the lower prices at the time and decide there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I take it you would have to pay the higher VRT first and then appeal? Or will they look at the lower prices at the time and decide there and then?

There was a guy from the revenue on Gerry Ryan a few weeks back sayign they welcome input into OMSP's of cars, assumign you have deccent info and reasons of course, not just some bloke pitching up in his new import and syaing "I dont want to pay so much VRT"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I'm referring to the appeal process.

Stekelly wrote: »
    There was a guy from the revenue on Gerry Ryan a few weeks back sayign they welcome input into OMSP's of cars, assumign you have deccent info and reasons of course, not just some bloke pitching up in his new import and syaing "I dont want to pay so much VRT"

wonder how you do that? must look into it!

Advertisement