Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth grinding

Options
  • 09-08-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I've been told I do this, and apparently its a stress thing. When I wake up my jaw/skull are tense and I feel like my teeth are loose. I spend the first few seconds checking they're still 'in there'. Unlike what was mentioned in another post here, I dont dream about it though, usually dreaming about nonsense like something I forgot to do at work.
    Apart from trying to chill out, any suggestions on what to do here? I was thinking of those things boxers wear, gum shields? or am I crazy? Big picutre-wise, its probably weakening my teeth yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You can go to the dentist and get a mouthguard like thing. I'm not that sure though. My brother got one. I'm not sure if a rugby mouthguard would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

last time I was at the dentist he just filed my teeth down a bit (grinding them was making them sharp apparently) but didn't say anything about a teeth guard thing. Did your brother find it helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Boots sell a tooth guard specifically for grinding.

Gillo wrote: »
    Boots sell a tooth guard specifically for grinding.

Thanks for that. Just looked on the boots website but to no avail. Might pop in tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, I found it by accident in the dental section it was with all the false teeth stuff. Just for the record I don't have false teeth:D

I was the branch in Swords so any largish branch should have it.

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    Yeah, I found it by accident in the dental section it was with all the false teeth stuff. Just for the record I don't have false teeth:D
    QUOTE]

;) ah yeah sure dude :P
    For fear of having to defend myself in a similar way, I'll have to wear a disguise to boots :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I lived with a girl that had this, she wore regular gum shields, intot the sports equipment store with you!

I tried a sports gum shield a few years ago, and didn't like it. Twas too big & just not pleasant. That was a while ago of course, and shall try harder this time! I wasn't sure the sports ones would be quite right for sleeping in? In saying that, I was in boots yesterday & the one recommended above was €35- slightly more than I wanted to spend. I might try a sporty one again, surely they cost less?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I should hope so. Think you can get different sizes and then you mould them to fit your mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

Teeth grinding can start out with stress but then turn into habit. There are a few options that can help.

A dentist can fit you with a mouthgard.
    Your G.P could give you mild muscle relaxants. Example Lyrica.
    Avoid chewing gum(while chewing your working the muscles you want relaxed)
    A good massage therapist would work out tension in the jaw and neck.
    Aromatherapy oils can help de-stress and relax you.
    Some people might find meditation helpful. You could work on relaxing your jaw muscles before bedtime using visualisation techniques.
    There are also jaw exercises:
    Open your mouth as wide as you can go & hold for 10 seconds
    Open again and tilt you jaw to the left, & hold. Again to the otherside.
    A warm wash cloth placed against the jaw will bring blood flow which in turn relaxes the muscles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

More than likely, stress produced, so seek to solve the problems that produce the stress, including therapy if severe. As a temporarily solution, I would not recommend a sports mouth guard, as there may be some risk of swallowing it while asleep or otherwise blocking the airways (depending upon the design). Check with a dentist for a proper fitting.

In addition to some of the above mentioned solutions by posters, stress can be exacerbated by improper diet, too much caffeine, recreational drugs, drinking too much alcohol, irregular sleeping patterns, eating large meals late, and a lack of daily strenuous exercise.

wow thanks for all the responses everyone!! :)

I might try some of the above suggestions before getting a gum shield, but a dentist trip is on the cards anyway. maybe if i walk round like this :eek: all day i wont have trouble with teeth grinding, course might get jaw lock!

Thanks again :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've done this for years, but it got to the point last year where my dentist told me that something needed to be done about it as I was wearing some of the teeth down. He took a mould of my mouth and I got a gum shield made. I wore it for a few weeks, which is enough to break the habit apparently. I don't sleep with it in any more and I no longer wake up with an aching jaw. I do wake up with my toungue clamped between my teeth (all the way round, not just in one place) for some odd reason, but it's better than grinding my teeth.

Advertisement