Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Boxing help!!

Options
  • 09-08-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

**Its allowed by Blizzards TOS and has been verified by GM's countless times**

now that thats out of the way ;) i need help.

bought a second wow account and want to start multiboxing with my 2 accounts. ill be honest and admit i havent a clue about multiboxing.

i got a copy of keyclone but i havent a clue what im doing. (dunno if thats even all i need?!)

we have a few systems in the house that can be networked, 2 of them already are networked.

my systme here is amd 32bit 3200 processor, 2 gig ram, nvidia 7600 gs 26gmb (im building a new system soon)

so if i wanted to dual box 2 toons on this pc will the pc be up to it? does it effectively half what your normal fps would be?

would i be better off dual boxing on 2 systems/

i really need help!!

i have read numerous wiki articles but they havent helped at all.

cheers guys ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

ITS ILLEGOAL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GET SOME REAL FRIENDS!!1!

Wowwiki is generally your friend (although i cant read these pages in work)
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Multiboxing
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Multiboxing_Software_Requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

lots of info on the official mutiboxing site and forums. they will even tell you what macros you need !

Best of luck with it.

Also, i seriously doubt that pc can handle 2 accounts. Its a single core pc, lacking memory. Maybe if you turn all the details onto the lowest you might get lucky.

I know for a fact a Q6600 (quad core) with 8 gigs of ram on xp64 will handle 5 accounts no problem.

But let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh i think ur right about the pc stats, this is what i have been trying,

running keyclone, running one instance of the game, setting that to the main. running a second instance of the game.

on the second instance of the game setting up a /assist macro and /follow macro.

i have 2 undead mages, Copesx and Copesxx, copesx is the main.

so im running around on copesx and the clone is following me ok but lagging slightly and not attacking when i do.

think it might be due to the lag.

gonna build a new system next week or the week after ;)

gettin a nice bonus from work.

dyin to get this running!

the dual-boxing site doesnt have too much help for beginners either

this is the guide i was using:

How to use keyclone with World of Warcraft®:

* run keyclone
    * run the WoW in Windowed mode (video setting, recommend 800x600 res)
    * click 'Add' and then click on the window you wish to control
    * - a list item should appear for that window
    * - you may edit the name of the application to help keep track of which is which
    * repeat for all your WoW clients
    * now the main setup... WoW macros

setting up wow macros triggered by keyclone

In order to properly control your other characters, you must have them follow your main character and cast on the right targets. Warcraft® offers macros that can help make this happen.

(for this example, my lead character is named 'lyndsy')

* open the macros window (esc / macros)
    * create a new macro, select an icon and name it (ie: assist leader)
    * add your macro code (ie: /assist lyndsy)
    * drag the icon into your action bar
    * repeat for all characters except for the leader

do the same thing for the follow macro, but instead of '/assist lyndsy' it would be '/follow lyndsy'

For the basic setup, the assist and follow macro are the only two you'll need. when you are ready to attack a target, click on it with your main, then hit the button associated with 'assist.leader'... then just hit the fire button.

if you've done it right, all your clones should fire at the same target at the same time.

You can also combine macros, having the characters assisting your lead then casting.
    For a full list of macro commands, I recommend: worldofwar.net

remember, in WoW when you hit an arrow key, your clones will stop following (as the just turned). you can add the arrows to the do-not-pass list, but i find it useful to be able to turn them in combat.

usage example

i use a wow /follow macro and when i move, i hit that and my clones follow me.

i also use the left+right mouse click-hold in wow to steer/drive. combined with the /follow, it works pretty well.

my next trick was to bind certain keys to various movements. i was triple boxing and one of the first things i normally do is bind a key to use to spread the clones out, and pull them back in. i used F12 to spread out and F11 to pull them in.

so.. i would go to the left clone, key bindings, and set strafe left secondary key to F12. on the right clone, i would set F12 for the strafe right. this would spread them out. (push and hold to watch them run). i did the same, but in reverse, for pulling them in using F11. the effect was like a -/+ combination.

so.. in using it.. i would hit follow... double mouse button drive to the enemy, hit F12 briefly, then a back arrow (puts my main next to the others)... click on target, hit my /assist key, then fire. dead target.

i also do pass the turn left/right keys so when i need to, i just spin them and keep firing. it does require you to un-learn using keys to steer, as they would fall off follow

fini

as you progress, you'll find more ways of working with WoW... hopefully this will help get you up and running.

i still cant get it working though. possibly cuz im a retard, possibly cuz my machine is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Dunno if anyone would be interested, but i have access to an internet cafe in Newry with 20x decent spec pc's (2.4 quad cores, 2 gig RAM, 8800 GT gfx) and a gigabyte local network. Could do some mad multi boxing setups with that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Marucci

Have been dual boxing for over a year. Best place to start is www.dual-boxing.com.

It's 100% legal with Blizzard.

It's best and easier and way cheaper to dual-box on the same machine. To improve performance use at little mods (memory) as possibly. Disable sound and reduce graphics quality to minimum.

Character selection is then quite important. Tank/Healer option is a good dual box combo and can clear a lot of instances slowely.

Or grinding just go with ranged pet dps. Warlocks or Hunters.

If you ever are thinking of 5 boxing. Go Shammmies!

After that it's all macros and learning how to play. It's always a challenge when doing bosses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

What I found useful was having all spells I use on my clone macroed. Meaning that if you use 2 mages and for example under 2 you have fireball then the main mage has just the spell in that slot and the clone has:
    /assist main
    /cast Fireball

This way, whenever you use Fireball the clone should pick the same target as your main. Also, cause the clone is usually slithtly 'lagging' behind you its good to wait a sec before you start casting so the clone has the time to come close enough to your main and be able to pick the same target and cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i can run 4 accounts on 1 machine, 3 accounts are the dummies /follow on the mian. They have all there settings down at the lowest, their sound off, keybindings off except for my formation keys. and then have their max fps in background at 9..

I done testing and to have them use the lest amount of power, and not lag so bad in background mode.. 9 fps will leave them follow and cast good.. you can have 15 if you want to be 100% sure they all work :)

I dont use keyclone, so i cant help you set it up.

But like Xeni said, for every spell have it as a macro that has /assist main... i also have a macro that accept all invites and another for the main to invite all chars to group and set group to ffa

toxick wrote: »
    i can run 4 accounts on 1 machine, 3 accounts are the dummies /follow on the mian. They have all there settings down at the lowest, their sound off, keybindings off except for my formation keys. and then have their max fps in background at 9..

I done testing and to have them use the lest amount of power, and not lag so bad in background mode.. 9 fps will leave them follow and cast good.. you can have 15 if you want to be 100% sure they all work :)

I dont use keyclone, so i cant help you set it up.

But like Xeni said, for every spell have it as a macro that has /assist main... i also have a macro that accept all invites and another for the main to invite all chars to group and set group to ffa
    take a screenshot of your desktop when the 4 are running at once will ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

My current 5 char rig - using Keyclone (badly) :D

Ftagraf0004.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

Jayzus. Fould Neo yet? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Suspect he was a glitch in the system ;)

DRakE wrote: »
    take a screenshot of your desktop when the 4 are running at once will ya?

will do once im at home. at work atm

me in game with my char and 3 behind me

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowscrnshot081008190527kp4.jpg

desktop SS of all 4 instances of wow running

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4xmagesme7.jpg

happy now mr.Kelly? :P

indeed thank you colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

toxick wrote: »
    me in game with my char and 3 behind me

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowscrnshot081008190527kp4.jpg

desktop SS of all 4 instances of wow running

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4xmagesme7.jpg

happy now mr.Kelly? :P

where did you get that desktop wallpaper?

GIEF TAUREN SPACE MARINE

got my two mages running around ok.

using the 2 basic macros, follow and assist.

need macros to do the other absic sh1t like auto accepting quests, trades, things like that.

had to disable bongos to get it to work with the bar numbers but should be able to sort that out 2moro.

trying two of the same class to get sued to it.

ridiculous how quick things die!! ;)

if only there was an easier way to loot than going from one screen to the other for gatherer quests.

with the x3 exp from recruit a freind.. ican skip all the gather quests now, and just focus on the kill quests.. and have free for all loot on

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Wow ive always wondered how the heck people do this. So its possable to do this on the one machine? ive seen 5 shammies in AV a few times just one-shotting horde.

Ive been bored of wow for ages and have a few level 70's in fact ive cancled my sub due to how boring the game is but this seems like fun or at least worth a try for a while. Hmm might not cancel after all, i could put my alts to good use afterall.

So would it be possable to move a toon from one wow account to another new account? or would i have to level up toons on the new account? I suppose i could let the new alt follow me and grind with the main.

If anyone can help answer my question id be greatful.

• Advertisement

Scram wrote: »
    Wow ive always wondered how the heck people do this. So its possable to do this on the one machine? ive seen 5 shammies in AV a few times just one-shotting horde.

Ive been bored of wow for ages and have a few level 70's in fact ive cancled my sub due to how boring the game is but this seems like fun or at least worth a try for a while. Hmm might not cancel after all, i could put my alts to good use afterall.

So would it be possable to move a toon from one wow account to another new account? or would i have to level up toons on the new account? I suppose i could let the new alt follow me and grind with the main.

If anyone can help answer my question id be greatful.

Hey Scram.

Yes it is possible to have 4-5 accounts running on the same machine, but your machine needs to be good. my one just barley handles the 4 machines, and everything is to a minimum. which is why im gonna buy a new machine later on to fullfill te chars to run 100% smoothly.

it is possible to move a hcarector from one account to another account, if a few things are met.

both accounts have the last name
    both accounts have the same address
    the cost of this is 20 euro per charector.

If you are starting to multi-box i suggest starting all new charectors and have a look at the new Recruit a Friend offer. which will grant, you and the person who you recruited x3 exp when your both the same level and grouped together. my 4 are now level 35.. they were level 13 when i last posted with those screen shots. IT will also grant more rewards, ie once the recruit a friend account pays for 2 months, you get 1 free month yourself, and also a exclusive zebra mounthey have fat ass'es when orcs ride them :( ) and also for every 2 levels your recruit a friend levels he can grant 1 level to any toon under his level on the account you recruited him from(however they get wiped once you ding 60, so what im planing on doing is leveling a char to level 31. on my frist account, and once i ding 59 with the mage grant levels to get him to 59.)

Hope i cleared something up for you :)

i forgot about the x3 experience.

my machine can run the 2 mages around at once with no problems (im still gonna build a new rig next friday from hardwareversand).

the reason my drone mage was kinda lagging was cuz i kept minimising the drone screen instead of keeping it under my main screen on the desktop.

having 2 mages running around in the same gear is hilarious. everyone stops to look.

copesx is male, copesxx is female so they look cool in the same gear!

was kinda gettin bored of doin kara over and over but this has given me somethin to spend my time on before wotlk comes out.

gonna do wot u did toxick and just do the killing quests

copey

with your mage that is in the background, do you use the command "/console maxfpsbk 10" cause thats wh at i use and even if minimixzed/ behind the main screen they run perfectly(also make sure you make the screen as small as possible like i have) and it should run grand.

In all fairness my mahcine isnt the best

2.3 ghz athlon 64 3000
    1gb ram
    128mb graphics card

does stats alone are ****e.

if you think running around in 2 mages with same gear is fun :) try running around with 4.. when you see people stop looking at you, i alway pull them to go inot formation..(i have 3 diffrent fomatons i can pull off with the 4 chars)

i got "Are you hacking" like 10000 times already. but still quite fun

And the x3 exp is absoulty unreal. the way i have it set up is:

Account 1 -> recruit Account 3
    Account 2 -> recruit Account 4

since i already had 2 accounts befor the recruit a friend

and with them now, since they will all be grouped i can get x3 exp.. cause if i was just gonna recuit the both accounts with account 1.. account 2 wont get the exp :)

i had read about setting the max fps to 9 or 10 but hadnt done it, ill do that first thing this evening, cheers

also, i didnt have my screen quite as small as yours cuz i was doing gathering quests so i was flicking between the 2, and i had to keep flicking between to accept quests.

yeh i can imagine peoples reactions to seeing 4 running around!!

i need to get the macro to make them strafe out aswell.

im really noobish with regards to macros!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i had read about setting the max fps to 9 or 10 but hadnt done it, ill do that first thing this evening, cheers

also, i didnt have my screen quite as small as yours cuz i was doing gathering quests so i was flicking between the 2, and i had to keep flicking between to accept quests.

yeh i can imagine peoples reactions to seeing 4 running around!!

i need to get the macro to make them strafe out aswell.

im really noobish with regards to macros!

well its not macros for the formations, its just smart key bindings.. im guessing you are only using 2 mages ya? so realy you can only do a straight line formation:

ie.

your Main with the clone is folowing you like this

M
    C

so with a formation you want it to become

M C

so just key bind for the clone K to move up and L to strafe right.

atm i have 3 diffrent formations

1 3
    2 4
    2--3--4
    2--1--3--4

for the main i have the WASD keys bounded to strafing ect. For the other chars i have IJKL keys bounded in a proper way

ie.
    3/4 j key is to strafe right
    3 u key is to move up
    2 k key is to strafe left
    4 k key is to strafe right
    2/3/4 i key is to move up.

If i read correctly dont you have keyclone? instead of always switching from 1 char to the other, try using keyclones maximiser, its quite useful to see both screen

yeh i just have 2 atm, so i want to set up the keys to move forward and strafe right like you said.

Right im gonna give this Multiboxing a try 3x shammy is about all this pc can handle without a quad in it. Does the MB site explain how to launch two/3 instances of the game ? I have a second 20" widescreen which i plan to have account 2 and 3 running in windowed mode (does it explain how to do this too?) Is it easy in general to setup ?

well the main thing you want to do if you are gonna be running 3xclients from the same machine, is to have seprate WoW clients installed( ya i know, wow is around 9gb atm)

You need this, due to your keybindings and what not, as the 2 shammys will be following your main, and you dont want to be pressing keybindings that will effect the clones so you need to get rid of everything, bar the hot bars and formation keybindings.

Opening up 3 insances of wow, is easy.. just open them up :) noting major ther, i do suggest that you have all 3 in windows mode. i find it a lot easier.

the dual monitors would be grand. just drag over the window :)

Now setting it up so you press a key in the main client and it is sent to the other 2 clones, there are 2 programes for this.

AutoHotKey: http://www.autohotkey.com/ (AHK)
    KeyClone: http://www.solidice.com/keyclone/ (KC)

I use AHK for the moment, but i will more then likely switch to KC soonish. AHK basicly will just tell your other wow clients to press this button. a detailed guide on writing sciprts in doing this : http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8720

KC is a tool made speicaly for wow multiboxing. so it will have some setting up, but it has a general easy ui to help you and it also has a thing called maximiser, which would be good for your 2nd screen, what it will do is you can make the 2 wow clients share the screen at full size, so half of it will be cleint 1, other half will be client 2.

thats just a basic break down. www.dual-boxing.com has a great cummonity and will help you if any problems occur

Awesome thanks. No one other thing. Will i have to go out and buy the game again ? Or can i just setup a new account and copy my folder to another location ? and log in with the new account? I dont mind buying the game again as its only like 20€ for the game and addon. But its the hugh patch downloads i dont like the idea of.

Also, i have another space pc with similar spec to mine, but with a better cpu and only 2gb ram. Can i run another client on that? and still use AHK or KC to connect to that over lan ?

• Advertisement

what i did anti was buy just a wow cd key off a website, ill get their name when im home.

it was like €9.00 for a wow cd key (no tbc) and it came with a free months game time.

you pay by paypal if you want and the site is 100% cool, got my key like 2 mins after.

paid for a 2 month game card fof them too.

when your purchase is complete you click on the order history on their site and there is a jpeg of your cd key.

job done ;)

Advertisement