Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

memory upgrade for my compu.

• 09-08-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of upgrading my merory to increase performance.
    my system is a dell xps420 with 2GB installed.
    2x 1GB SamsungDDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333 MHz) - [DDR2-666]
    i have for slots with a maximum allow of 4GB.
    should i buy 2 more x1GB's,
    or 1 more 1GB(would that work, do i need matching pairs?)
    i heard that vista(i have 32bit premium) can only recognise 3GB, is that true?
    thanks to any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mcw92 wrote: »
    i was thinking of upgrading my merory to increase performance.
    my system is a dell xps420 with 2GB installed.
    2x 1GB SamsungDDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333 MHz) - [DDR2-666]
    i have for slots with a maximum allow of 4GB.
    should i buy 2 more x1GB's,
    or 1 more 1GB(would that work, do i need matching pairs?)
    i heard that vista(i have 32bit premium) can only recognise 3GB, is that true?
    thanks to any help offered.

Would be better suited here tbh.

But, buy 2 more 1 gig sticks. Reason is ram runs in dual channel mode, so it really needs two sticks to get decent speeds out of it. Also 32bit Windows can see 3.25gigs of ram. Don't let that worry you though, might as well get the 2 gigs anyway, costs nothing.

But the real question is, do you need 4 gigs of ram? Are you hoping the whole system will speed up because odds are its not going to make the slightest difference unless you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭mcw92

i am just looking to increase performance when playin certain games, as it eats the memory usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

As Cuddlesworth said, more memory won't run anything faster. Hell, even faster memory won't run anything faster, at least nothing that the human eye can detect.
    It will give you the ability to run more applications at the same time. It won't give you more fps & it won't load maps any faster.

However, I would strongly recommend adding another 2 Gigs, as it will let Windows breath with more applications running at the same time, and it will make your OS stop running to the pagefile for help every 2 minutes :)
    Also, because the DRAM prices have hit bottom low, you can get 2Gb of more than decent memory for like €25-30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thinking about it I don't think I can think of any more then 5 games that needed more then 2 gigs in a pc.

Advertisement