Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More RAM or new CPU?

• 09-08-2008 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I just tried a guitar simulator,(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/IK-Multimedia-AmpliTube-2-DUO?sku=482677&src=3SOSWXXA) Amplitude 2 for the first time today and was very impressed.

I do have a question though if anyone could answer it, much appreciated.
    At 512 buffer size, the audio breaks up and is pretty much unusable. At 1024 there is noticeable latency.

I have 1GB of RAM (DDR300) and 2.8 (or maybe 3.2) Ghz Pentium 3 (i think) processor.
    My question :
    To work with a buffer size of 512 do I need to increase my RAM or get a faster processor?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hey all.

I just tried a guitar simulator,(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/IK-Multimedia-AmpliTube-2-DUO?sku=482677&src=3SOSWXXA) Amplitude 2 for the first time today and was very impressed.

I do have a question though if anyone could answer it, much appreciated.
    At 512 buffer size, the audio breaks up and is pretty much unusable. At 1024 there is noticeable latency.

I have 1GB of RAM (DDR300) and 2.8 (or maybe 3.2) Ghz Pentium 3 (i think) processor.
    My question :
    To work with a buffer size of 512 do I need to increase my RAM or get a faster processor?

Thanks.

Since I don't know what measurement the 512 is in and what the buffer is, or what is it does I don't think I can answer your question easy. That and that particular software gives no minimum or recommended requirements.

What I can tell you is that audio synthesisers are heavy on cpu usage. And depending on how many you are running they rape your ram as well. The problem with the cpu part(which at a guess I would say is the problem) is that all cpu's that you would need for a moderate upgrade would be quite expensive at this stage to buy new, and hard to find second hand. Not amazingly, but hard enough.

Ram on the other hand would be simple enough to get, 2 gigs would be around 60 quid new plus delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Thanks for the advice.

Being low on cash AT the moment I'm optimizing the PC as much as I can. Is increasing PCI latency timer a good idea? or a big no-no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd increase the ram, and reduce as much as possible other programs accessing the cpu. Cheapest first choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the advice.

Being low on cash AT the moment I'm optimizing the PC as much as I can. Is increasing PCI latency timer a good idea? or a big no-no?

Increasing latency would increase the time it takes for commands/data to be transferred, so no. Outside of over clocking your ram/cpu I can't see how playing around with your bios would help you.

It didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭askU

It didn't.

It didn't what?

askU wrote: »
    It didn't what?

Exactly.

I believe it was that playing around with the BIOS didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats not a pc, its a relic

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats not a pc, its a relic

ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Look at you................

"It still points doesn't it?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Behave yourself's or the ban hammer comes out to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

you say you have a "2.8 (or maybe 3.2) Ghz Pentium 3 (i think) processor"

well which is it?....if you cant identify what type of cpu you have, im forced to question whether you will be able to physically change the cpu or add more ram...

What's with the attitude all of a sudden?

First few replies were great and I'm thankful for it.

Might as well lock the thread, I've got the problem sorted.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement