Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise on the phone line

Options
  • 09-08-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this but mods please move if necessary.

Sometimes when i'm on the phone there's a lot of background hissing noises that come and go, usually come and go more when i have the computer on broadband. I've a splitter coming out of the wall socket and i think i may need a new splitter or are there ones u can get that reduce the background noise ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try a new splitter in the main socket and plug out all other equipment then one by one test the line after plugging a single phone/device if you clear up the problem then you know it was the filter.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

By any chance are you using Eircom phone and BB? Also per chance is there Eircom Phonewatch in use on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Soundman wrote: »
    By any chance are you using Eircom phone and BB? Also per chance is there Eircom Phonewatch in use on the house?

Naw i'm with BT and i've no phonewatch thingy, why do u ask?

Munster

I'm gonna get myself a new filter tomorrow and have a jiggle around to see if anything helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

has you d/c the broadband and just ran a cable into the phone to see if you still get it,also turn off you eircom router as the wifi might be interfering

Zorba wrote: »
    Naw i'm with BT and i've no phonewatch thingy, why do u ask?

Just something I noticed when we had them for a while in our new place. The Phonewatch interfered with the phone when the BB router was turned on. Very weird altogether.

Scrapped Eircom, got UPC and no problem at all.

• Advertisement

Got a new splitter which is mean to reduce the noise and interference and it works perfect, must have been a cheapo splitter i got with the modem.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Result! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Zorba wrote: »
    Got a new splitter which is mean to reduce the noise and interference and it works perfect, must have been a cheapo splitter i got with the modem.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

where did you get it? who makes it? how much?

i'm using the default one i got from bt, anyone had problems with these in the past?

Maplins on Jervis Street do the ADSL microfilters. Should be about €8 I think.

murfo wrote: »
    where did you get it? who makes it? how much?

i'm using the default one i got from bt, anyone had problems with these in the past?

Got it in Pc World, it's an Advent one cost 9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

great, thanks!

Advertisement