Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carry-on baggage with Ryanair

Options
  • 09-08-2008 8:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to fly out with Aer Lingus somewhere and am flying back with Ryanair (long story - this is handiest for me!)

Anyway, I'm going to bring a big enough carry-on bag so I don't have to go over on the way back (really a just in case - not expecting to but you never know) and the bag I have is perfect size for the aer lingus carry-on restrictions (56x45x25) but is about 2-3 cm too wide for Ryanair's restrictions (which are slightly different to Aer Lingus'.

I suppose my question is, how strict are they with bag size? I know there's a European restriction but if this bag fits within Aer Lingus' measurements it should fall within that...

I've no problem with Ryanair enforcing their rules to the letter - you get what you pay for and all of that - just don't want to find out when I'm in the airport.

So will Ryanair get the measuring tape out on my bag or should I be ok given that it's only slightly bigger than they allow? It probably won't even be packed tight so I could probably squeeze it in a little - but I know Ryanair aren't the type to give leeway in other areas.

So - anyone have any experience here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Ryanair are inconsistant with matters like this to say the least. I'd say you will be fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I found Ryanair fine with carry on baggage, often braught three bags into the cabin without probs, i.e. roller bag, laptop and plastic bags with stuff from the duty free shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just to add Ryanair have some new restrictions with carry on bags. You can only have one piece of carry on luggage, i.e. any duty free or other purchases made at the airport must all fit inside your carry on bag. This has only recently being introduced, so I'm not sure how strictly they are enforcing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for all of that - should be no problem to have one piece of carry-on with me and this bag is unlikely to be packed tight so will have room for anything else I might pick up at the last minute.

I figured Ryanair might be less strict with carry on than they are with check in because they're trying to encourage people to check-in less and carry-on more - hence having a bigger carry-on limit than Aer Lingus.

Will take the chance and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks

Advertisement