Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality cycling gloves required-money no object!

Options
  • 09-08-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hope to avail of the assistance of the usual suspects here if I might, folks. Of late I have noticed that I have the symptoms of Guyon's Canal Syndrome, a problem of the nerves in the hands and arms common in cycling (at least for the moment I'll assume that's what it is!). It causes pins and needles in the hands after cycling (the right hand in my case-I would it use it for most braking and gear changing obviously) and one of the remedies suggested is a strong gel lined glove. The gloves I use are bog standard ones and I intend to look at Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc. later for a good pair. As the possibility looms that I might have to give up my beloved jaunts money is no object so I would really appreciate help from the large contingent of experts here who have helped me in the past in cycling matters.

Sorry about the lengthy post but needed to describe it in full..
    ** Yes I'm aware it could be something else and I will invesigate that if I need to**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

if money is no object buy assos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

You need to make sure that the gloves you buy are fitted with gel in the proper locations.
    The nerves for your fingers enter the palm in the channel beside your thumb. You need gloves that do not have gel in this location, otherwise you will be applying pressure to the location that is the probably causing your pins and needles.
    The links below show gloves with anatomical placed gel pads. Not saying these are the ones for you but are a good example.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19769
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7113

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

FWIW (from a beginnner, not an expert!) - It might be worth trying a bit of saddle fore-aft adjustment - a little at a time to see if you can get a bit of weight off those arms as well - See "Fore-Aft" section here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

make sure to try and keep your wrists straight for the bulk of any spin. So as to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

As above - make sure your position on the bike isn't contributing to the problem. You could try Specialized's Body Geometry gloves - they're designed to reduce the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome (IF they work for you - I didn't get on well with them at all). Cycleways sell them.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipGlovesRoad

I'm currently using Pearl Izumi gloves which I find very comfortable.
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=50&product_id=793156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Thanks for all the above. I was in cycleways today (first time in new premises-impressive!). They had a poor enough selection of gloves. Might try for the Specialized when my LBS opens its doors in the morning. It has a good range. Have moved the saddle forward slightly and adjusted the bars slightly so that I am not reaching for the levers as much. Went to try it out and ... downpour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Brayblue- is this for flat or drop handlebars? Is it your police bike? If it is flat bars, adding bar ends would give you another hand position which might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

blorg wrote: »
    Brayblue- is this for flat or drop handlebars? Is it your police bike? If it is flat bars, adding bar ends would give you another hand position which might help.

No, it's my own machine. Drop bars (Specialized Roubaix). BTW apologies for the typo earlier, I was in Cyclesuperstore not Cycleways.

Ironically, I never had this problem with the Allez but it started almost immediately with the Roubaix - lesson: Allez bought from LBS, Roubaix from t'internet (and self assembled).

Woohoo 200 posts.

As regards work, I have deliberately stayed off the bike for the last week to try and isolate the cause and to be fair I have never had any problems with the mountian bike in any event so I am pretty sure it's the new road bike set up (hope so anyway!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

brayblue24 wrote: »
    No, it's my own machine. Drop bars (Specialized Roubaix). BTW apologies for the typo earlier, I was in Cyclesuperstore not Cycleways.

Ironically, I never had this problem with the Allez but it started almost immediately with the Roubaix - lesson: Allez bought from LBS, Roubaix from t'internet (and self assembled).
    Is the Roubaix the same frame size as the Allez? As far as I am aware the Roubaix may be a slightly more relaxed geometry. If you still have the Allez I would try to compare and adjust the Roubaix so the key dimensions were the same/as close as possible to the Allez- in particular reach and drop (saddle to bars.)

EDIT: Point is if you never had this with another drop bar bike the problem is more likely to be in fit than the gloves as such, you would only be patching the symptom as it were with new gloves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement