Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help... Hair getting thin

• 09-08-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there
    Can anyone recommend any shampoo/conditioner or any other product that might help my hair... I have long highlighted hair and its starting to look really thin... A few people have commented on it now. I have started taking a Zinc supplement as i have heard it can help. Any ideas much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi
    From what I know thinning hair is cused by poor circulation to the root. This is usually caused by male hormones. There are also other causes. Maybe it would be a good idea to see a doctor just to get some expert advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You can get special supplements for hair... ask your pharmacist. They may be snake oil, though!

Also, try volumising shampoos, Pantene and the Body Shop one are good in my experience (although my hair isn't thining - it just gets a bit limp sometimes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Shave it, or at least get a haircut.

Balding long hard people look a bit silly... sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Shave it, or at least get a haircut.

Balding long hard people look a bit silly... sorry. :(

Im a girl, im not going to shave my head :D and im not balding... my hair is just not as thick as it was.... i might try a hair cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I have the exact same problem. I think I've let it grow too long to be honest. It's not thinning at the roots when I put my hands through it but because of its length it looks really thin and raggedy at the ends. Have myself booked in to get a couple of inches off at the wknd. That should do the trick.

I think hair straighteners and any kind of colouring is also ultimately very damaging and will lead to hair breakage, making it look really thin. I have a whole section of hair underneath that's half the length of the rest of my hair due to straightener breakage - hence my ends looking rubbish. So I'm trying not to straighten it anymore too much. As for the colour, I love being blond so I'm not gonna go back to brown but if my hair got reall really bad I wouldn't have an option. But I try not to colour it for three months or more at a time. Means roots for a while but is easier on my hair.

• Advertisement

pookie82 wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. I think I've let it grow too long to be honest. It's not thinning at the roots when I put my hands through it but because of its length it looks really thin and raggedy at the ends. Have myself booked in to get a couple of inches off at the wknd. That should do the trick.

I think hair straighteners and any kind of colouring is also ultimately very damaging and will lead to hair breakage, making it look really thin. I have a whole section of hair underneath that's half the length of the rest of my hair due to straightener breakage - hence my ends looking rubbish. So I'm trying not to straighten it anymore too much. As for the colour, I love being blond so I'm not gonna go back to brown but if my hair got reall really bad I wouldn't have an option. But I try not to colour it for three months or more at a time. Means roots for a while but is easier on my hair.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah im trying to stop using the straightner too(not that i need it really my hair is straight ,i just use it out of habit really) I must book myself in for hair cut to get rid of the ends. Like you, my hair would have to be falling out before i would consider going back to my natural hair colour... Sad but true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

apprentice wrote: »
    Im a girl, im not going to shave my head :D and im not balding... my hair is just not as thick as it was.... i might try a hair cut

Apologies!!

Could you get a bob? Bob's are cute...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

- sona kelp tablets (seaweed helps grow your hair!) great stuff only costs a few quid
    - make sure your getting enough iron. lack of iron = thinning hair it has happened to me a few times. It was not enough of a deficiency to make me anaemic ir anything but a hairdresser told me a slight deficiency will affect yourt hair before anything else. try taking a vitamin like pharmaton each day
    - if all else fails nourikin tablets do work. pricey, but they do work
    - if you use straighteners either stop using them or cut down and only use with a heat protector spray. straighteners will wreck your hair if used all the time. learn to dry your hair with a brush (ask a hairdresser)
    - john frieda volumising spray is excellent it really does the trick. spray into wet hair and blow dry I use it all the time

if your hair is too long it will look thin as it will have less volume. I have haie thats v long and was asking hairdresser why i cant get volume atthe roots. she layered the last few inches at the back and its much better now - the weight of the hair was dragging it all down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

i have thin hair and picked up the tip of using a comb on the hair,use it when the hair is wet.other brushes pull the hair out, and dry the hair naturally.

- sona kelp tablets (seaweed helps grow your hair!) great stuff only costs a few quid
    - make sure your getting enough iron. lack of iron = thinning hair it has happened to me a few times. It was not enough of a deficiency to make me anaemic ir anything but a hairdresser told me a slight deficiency will affect yourt hair before anything else. try taking a vitamin like pharmaton each day
    - if all else fails nourikin tablets do work. pricey, but they do work
    - if you use straighteners either stop using them or cut down and only use with a heat protector spray. straighteners will wreck your hair if used all the time. learn to dry your hair with a brush (ask a hairdresser)
    - john frieda volumising spray is excellent it really does the trick. spray into wet hair and blow dry I use it all the time

if your hair is too long it will look thin as it will have less volume. I have haie thats v long and was asking hairdresser why i cant get volume atthe roots. she layered the last few inches at the back and its much better now - the weight of the hair was dragging it all down.

Thanks for the tips. I am actually anaemic.... Im very bad at taking my iron...Its very harsh on my stomach but i really need to start taking it. I went into Boots chemist today about the Nourikan tablets and the lady told me that it affected the pill....so i wont be taking any chances, not sure how true that is..?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I wouldn't chance anything that interferes with the pill tbh, unless you want thick shiny hair AND a baby!

I never heard of the iron thing before, it's funny cos I'm more often than not always low in that too. Must get me some supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

it doesnt affect the pill as far as I know ? Ive been using it and the pill for 2 years and no kids :) The main ingredient is fish compound so I wouldnt imagine it would - maybe ring the nourkin company and check?
    Kelp will give similar results and should be grand as its just seaweed/iodine. I got the sona ones last month as I was too broke to buy nourkin and they seem to be doing the job they only cost me 7 euro too :)

With regard to taking iron, try pharmaton tablets or spatone. spatone is iron water that you mix in with fruit juice. I find if you take it on a full stomach its not as bad. I normally take pharmaton with dinner but the one day I took it on an empty stomach I felt awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LaneyQ

I had really bad hair when I was little, breaking, thin etc... my mam gave me cod liver oil and now I have more hair than I can handle! If you dont wanna take the capsules you can get "seven seas cod liver oil with orange juice" You can buy it most places :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Ive always had thin light hair. I have to keep it short as it gets thinner when it grows.
    So if I take kelp/cod liver oil tablets, will my hair get thicker and grow quicker? or am I expecting too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LaneyQ

Yeh cod liver oil is great for your hair and teeth and nails. If you take it every day your hair will get really thick and strong, I swear by it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

is capsule form the same?
    How long do ya think until id see the results?

Advertisement