Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs and excise tax

Options
  • 09-08-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if I were to buy something off ebay and it gets caught in customs.. is there a sum it has to be over to be taxed or can u be taxed on any amount??? for example im spending 65$ can i be taxed on that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think the cut off is €40 including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

From revenue:
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/faq_cat5.htm
    Goods of Negligible Value
    Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.

€22 ~= $33 (total cost) limit before you get hit by customs

I'm open to correction on this as other people probably know it better, though I think they usually add customs onto the total (incl delivery, insurance) before charging tax on the grand total. Not sure if a courier handling charge is also included in the tax calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Official cutoff is €22, or €45 for a gift. If coming through the Post office, then they tend to ignore anything below €45. That price includes the postage too, so bare that in mind. The courier is allowed to charge up to €15 processing when they pay the tax for you. An Post charge €5, most of the couriers charge the full €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

jor el wrote: »
    The courier is allowed to charge up to €15 processing when they pay the tax for you. An Post charge €5, most of the couriers charge the full €15.

Do you have to pay this ? as in the 15 euros ? or can you tell them to get stuffed ! and just pay the customs directly ? just a question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You have to pay it, as the courier is acting as Revenue's officer in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay this ? as in the 15 euros ? or can you tell them to get stuffed ! and just pay the customs directly ? just a question :)
    I'd guess if you sent the courier the required paperwork (and only paying the customs is not enough you have to fill in the right forms for the type of goods it is, value etc.) in advance you could get it go straight through but beyond that, yea, you'll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Long time since any posts here, hope somebody is still reading the stuff. here's the question.......If I go on a fishing trip to the UK and bring all my (expensive) rods/reels/lures etc with me what happens when I get off the ferry back in Dublin and am stopped by Mr. Customs and wants to charge me import duty/vat and whatever on my own property. Do I need to declare beforehand that I am exporting all my fishing gear to the UK and am now importing back into Ireland. I have searched the Rev.com website and cannot find anything explaining my situation. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

You can declare them on the way out. Give Revenue a call, they are pretty helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just on the above. I’m hoping to send a putter over to the UK to have it refurbished. It will be going out in pretty poor condition but coming back hopefully ‘like new’. I’ve photos prior to postage and my initials are stamped into the putter itself so it’s not as if I’m sending one over and buying a new one in return.

Will I be hit for customs/excise/vat etc or would the above temporary export and re-import of goods suffice?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement