Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods

Options
  • 09-08-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey anyone know if m1 is open? My boyfriends stuck in phibsboro last two hours trying to get home to balbriggan and seems like its a no go...Poor fecker didnt even have dinner...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

all his routes home will have flooding to some degree or another. ballymun / m1 / m50 are all part flooded and traffic is barely moving. A lot of cars are getting stuck in dips where the flooding is unexpectedly deep. Driving will be difficult especially at night. Might be an idea for him to stay in a b&b or hotel till morning. The ardmore hotel is on the left hand side as you drive down the duel carriageway heading from phibsborough to finglas. Just before tesco in finglas. He might be as well stopping over for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Ah thanks clown bag his dad lives in finglas so hes making his way there at moment but that will take another hour and half i'd say... Its really mental had look at some peoples photos there and i've never seen dublin flood like that(esp areas not near rivers etc).

Poor people out blanchardstown way seem to have it worst though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm in finglas myself.

Lots of the roads here are flooded but if he sticks to hills and avoids the bottom or dips / flat parts he should get around ok. Will mean taking detours around / through estates. Some of the surface water is above knee high in places so I wouldn't advise him to risk driving through even if it looks shallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Well, my hosue is rather... wet, now. flooded earlyer on, had the fire brigrade pump out the garden. Wait for it, I am *on* a hill, the water gathered in the garden and didnt flow down the hill :( ah well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Yeah hes taking it handy(not that hes gone over 10mph anyway)! Around the tolka is very bad supposedly but all going well he should get there in about 30 mins fingers crossed...

thanks clownbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Anyone know if the M1 from the airport is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Was supposed to go to Drogheda today and stupid me left house at half 6 NOT EVEN NOTICING RAIN as I was in bed all day with hangover. I got home at 12, saw alot of the floods in blanch, cabra etc. Advice for those in Phibsborough: If you get to prospect road, turn into Leinster Avenue North, drive up to Shandon Park, then left into Shandon Crescent then right into Faussagh Avenue then at roundabout go to Nephin road, then into town its 100% trafficless all the time. Anyway a summary:

Car broke down twice after driving through floods.
    Saw 3 car crashes all skids into backs of one another. One car crash a bunch of ****ers in a van were laughing at a few of us broken down, then went smack into the side of a car. No bad damage but it blocked the road.
    Was On that country road between Castleknock/Lucan (Tinkers Hill). Completely under water, cars broken down everywhere.

River Road along the Tolka, cars EVERYWHERE broken down. Saw so many fire brigades and tow trucks with burned out cars. Was complete disaster.

I cant believe this all happened. Im still in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Anyone know if the M1 from the airport is ok?

I was just told by a friend that flights have been cancled till friday :eek:

Im going away tuesday!

Anyone know any info :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That sounds a bit drastic. Only the road problems mentioned are here http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/latest-news/090808_flooding.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Im going away tuesday!

Are you serious? I need to know if this is true ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Unless the two main runways sank into the ground that can't be true, this being Ireland and all I would not be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Well see I dont know.My friends mam works at the airport and got the call saying they were cancled so I dont know if shes bluffing with me or shes actually telling the truth :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

No, it's bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

Well see I dont know.My friends mam works at the airport and got the call saying they were cancled so I dont know if shes bluffing with me or shes actually telling the truth :mad:

I can't see a few showers shuting down an airport for a week, any surface water is probably gone by now.

Sure she might as well take the week off anyhow, just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Im going away tuesday!

Don't be so gullible.

Did you even bother to check the arrivals and departures?

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals.asp

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

4 hours to get from Phoenix park to Balbriggan yesterday. Flooding was unreal around Ballymun. We had to drive past 4 cars broken down in the floods. Back of the airport wasn't much better. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What a total cock-up! On Saturday evening it took me 3 hours (& €110! :() in a taxi to get from Gardiner Street back to Skerries.

10/10 to the taxi driver - he was superb & happy to stick with it even when he knew it would probably take him hours to get back to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

For that money, I would have driven you myself.

Must remember that the next time it floods..

It took me an hour to get from Portmarnock to Swords on the weekend, back roads were in an awful state. The cookoo river flooded its banks.

These were taken on the N3 (Blanchardstown at 7pm on Saturday)

za.jpg
    zb.jpg
    zgarda.jpg
    zzzzy.jpg
    zzzzzzx.jpg
    zzzzzzz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

How are the roads holding up today since it started raining heavily again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭05D

The north side was hit badly by the floods over the weekend. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering ' Whaas da bleeeding Story ?'
    'aaaaaawright bud' and 'fuuuucksake'.
    The flooding decimated the area causing approximately 30 euro worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Benidorm and Santa Ponsa were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt cars were destroyed. Many locals were woken well before their welfare cheque arrived.
    RTE News reported that hundreds of resident were confused and bewildered, still trying to come to the terms with the fact that the damage had not been caused by illegal means.
    One resident : Alexis Crystal Duffy, a 15 year old mother of 5 said 'It was such a F***in shock, me little wan Chardonnay Mercedes cem runnin inta me bedruem cryin, Me youngisst two Tyler Morgan an Megan Brooklyn slept tru ih all. But I was bleeedin shaken watchin F***in Rikki Laaake in da mornin'
    Apparently though, looting, muggings and incidental crime did carry on as usual. The Irish Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Strongbow, Dutch Gold, Frozen Pizzas, and John Player Blue to the area to help stricken locals.
    Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include Welfare Books and Jewellery including thousands of Sovereign Rings, many large Medallions and Hash Leaf Shaped earrings from Elizabeth Duke at Argos also Fine Bone China from Tommy's Wonderland of Value.
    This Appeal is to raise money for food and clothing Parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after, items most needed include:
    Fake Burberry or Kappa Baseball Caps
    Hoodies (any type)
    Tommy Hilfiger Tracks Suits (his and hers) Nike/Adidas Shell Suits (female) White Donnay Sports Socks Rockport Boots (and any other items usually sold in TK Maxx) Anything from Magic or Unique Food Parcels may be harder to come by as refrigeration may be a problem, but are needed all the same.
    Required Foodstuffs include:
    McCains Oven Chips
    Heinz Baked Beans
    Goodfellas Frozen Pizzas
    Coke/Fanta
    Strongbow Cider
    Smirnoff Ice
    John Player Blue 15s
    And Remember That Your Cash Contribution Also Counts !!!
    Just 22c buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and Bookies slips Just 5 euro buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9 Only 6 euro will pay for a packet of 20 Major to calm the nerves of those affected.
    Thank You Very Much For Your Help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Looks like round 2 :D

I'm smiling because at this stage I don't reallly care

Advertisement