Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There needs to be a line in The Thunderdome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually, that post deserves a thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's why I never play in there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

There needs to be some form of moderation for this kind of sh*te.

Is anything really allowed in there?
    tis a strange post ....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you dont like The Thunderdome, ya just dont read in it.

There isnt really any limits. Thats the whole idea of the forum (good or bad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anything goes in the Thunderdome, good, bad or poor taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deadly tune Ruu! You da man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Look the poster in question got some abuse..

I love the dome, its all about not giving a sh!te and having a laugh.

If you take it too serious you will end up eating cornflakes sprinkled with tears.

If you do cross the line.. karma is a bitch and takes no prisoners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sully wrote: »
    If you dont like The Thunderdome, ya just dont read in it.

There isnt really any limits. Thats the whole idea of the forum (good or bad).
    Actually the whole idea is
    Two men enter, probably neither will leave, endlessly quoting each other and rebutting their points ad infinitum.

taken from the forum description

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Something similar cropped up before and an Admin saw fit to remove it, can't see this being much different.

I don't see that type of comment as being 'fair game' unless the recipient is a dome user/regular (I don't think Shane or Cathy is). The dome changed a couple of years ago [for the worse imo] to what it is now if people don't want to take part then they shouldn't be subjected to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In the sense of "Two men enter" I don't think someone should be insulting or attacking someone else, who doesn't post on the thunderdome. If someone steps into the dome, then they're fair game, but it shouldn't be a place for people to make jibes and snipe at other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't see that type of comment as being 'fair game' unless the recipient is a dome user/regular (I don't think Shane or Cathy is).
    In the sense of "Two men enter" I don't think someone should be insulting or attacking someone else, who doesn't post on the thunderdome. If someone steps into the dome, then they're fair game, but it shouldn't be a place for people to make jibes and snipe at other posters.

Agreed. The real problem here is that a thread that started life in AH got moved to The Thunderdome when there was no real need. Then it got resurrected when there were was no real need. A lock of the original thread would have sufficed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

IvaBigWun is the ultimate thread bumper tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Agreed. The real problem here is that a thread that started life in AH got moved to The Thunderdome when there was no real need. Then it got resurrected when there were was no real need. A lock of the original thread would have sufficed.

Ah, that's a rather big problem right there. People who don't contribute to the dome are being thrown into the arena against their will, and that shouldn't be happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I agree with what your saying op, that post was out of line... but the dome is what it is.

Lets just say i won't be adding Piste to my buddy list... no sir-e

Also if you didn't link to it I wouldn't have seen it along with the majority of the rest of us... so in a way your advertising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Also if you didn't link to it I wouldn't have seen it along with the majority of the rest of us... so in a way your advertising it.

If a post is made in the Thunderdome and nobody links to it, does it make a sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Im advertising that Piste is a gobsh#te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yes but you're also making that comment, which is very going to be very hurtful to the people it's aimed at, very public. Only users who browse the dome would have seen it otherwise.
    slideways wrote:
    Look the poster in question got some abuse..

Where?

I agree that the post is awful, I can definitely see how someone could get worked up about: I don't see Cathy's posts often, but any time I do she comes across as an extremely nice and helpful person and I can't imagine her feeling to good about that post if she ever comes across it. But dont go getting yourself banned over it for personal abuse, not worth it.

I'm not saying you were wrong to post the link I'm just saying that less people would have came across that particular post if it wasn't posted here.

takola wrote: »
    Yes but you're also making that comment, which is very going to be very hurtful to the people it's aimed at, very public. Only users who browse the dome would have seen it otherwise.

#looking at both sides of the coin#

even if it was only read by one person it still was out of line and shouldn't have been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

takola wrote: »
    I'm not saying you were wrong to post the link I'm just saying that less people would have came across that particular post if it wasn't posted here.

Does that make it ok?

dammit, stupid mp3 stopped playing and I was a minute late posting :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

This "debate" crops up every couple of months, usually based on comments similar to those highlighted by the OP. Nothing has been resolved in the previous discussions and I doubt anything will be resolved now.

The "Don't read it if you don't like it" stuff is trotted out every time these issues are raised, but that doesn't solve anything. If you take that attitude with the thunderdome surely you should apply it elsewhere on the site. Why are the delicate sensibilities of the soccer forum contributers so protected yet other members of the site are subjected to very insensitive, at times, personal attacks.

Bullying, personal abuse etc. seem to be common territory in the Thunderdome and it's accepted there.

I was under the impression when the forum was started, that it was just a place for threads which had decended into bitchfests/endless circular discussions got moved to tidy up a particular forum and keep forums free from endless/pointless arguments. It should never have been the type of forum it is now. I was also under the impression that it should not have been a place where anyone could start a thread. If it had been kept in its original state then only threads moved there from other forums could have been contributed to. Thus avoiding the endless bollocksology and rubbishy threads that are now synonymous with the forum.

I very rarely read the forum, because it serves no function other than to allow people, who are incapable of articulate means of communication, throw insults and accusations around without any fear of reproach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

#looking at both sides of the coin#

even if it was only read by one person it still was out of line and shouldn't have been said.

Absolutely. I completely agree. It's crossed the line and should never have been posted.

I only meant that this thread will highlight the comment. It may never have been read by the people it's aimed at if this thread had not been created. Not saying it's ok, it's not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amz: Love the notion. kill the thread-start options in the dome.

I always thought the dome was an "anything goes" within reason. The reasons were very small. You could have a bitchfest with anyone, or threads that got that way in other forums could be moved there. I thought the stuff that the OP refered to was acceptable (and tbh, its a joke - dont go taking the head of the chap for **** sake) for the Dome and maybe even After Hours. Far worse has been said and done in the Dome.

The reason why the argument "If you dont like it, dont read it" applies is because I think that for most people who visit it or know about it - they think the whole idea of the Dome is that you get to do whatever you like. Something your not allowed do anywhere else on the site. Hence, if you are easily offended - avoid it. Its mostly all humour anyway.

Saying all that, I think maybe it should be just a forum where two people can have a fight, or group fights where people join in. Maybe its time we stopped allowing non forum users be dragged in and discussed. However, the admins who mod that forum have decided (so far) thats an area they wont visit (yet). They are the wise ones :)

One thing I dont agree with, and I very rarley read the dome, is banning all topic creations. If two people want to have it out, or if they want to start a thread and have a group fight - let em. Dont have it for a forum where ramble from other forums is put in - then the forum would be even more pointless and stupid. Just dont allow the dragging of other users in that are not part of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't see how removing people's ability to start threads would stop situations like this.

Sully wrote: »
    I always thought the dome was an "anything goes" within reason. The reasons were very small. You could have a bitchfest with anyone, or threads that got that way in other forums could be moved there. I thought the stuff that the OP refered to was acceptable (and tbh, its a joke - dont go taking the head of the chap for **** sake) for the Dome and maybe even After Hours. Far worse has been said and done in the Dome.

The reason why the argument "If you dont like it, dont read it" applies is because I think that for most people who visit it or know about it - they think the whole idea of the Dome is that you get to do whatever you like. Something your not allowed do anywhere else on the site. Hence, if you are easily offended - avoid it. Its mostly all humour anyway.

Im wouldn't consider myslef easily offended, but there is certain lines you dont cross. Would the poster of the "joke" say that to someone with cancer in real life.. I'd hope not . As someone who has had a relative die recently from cancer I really fail to see the funny side in making fun of something so serious that effects so many people.

Edit: what i mean about the real life thing is you'd call somebody a bollox (or whatever) in real life if you were having a row with them, but I'd hope you wouldn't say anything like that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh it's the thunderdome. A lot of it is funny I must say. I particularly like degsy's posts tbh. That said I think piste has majorly crossed a line with that comment about Cathymoran. Idiotic, nasty and immature and a bad reflection on him/her or maybe an accurate reflection on him/her. Twatism of the highest order. There are lines you don't cross and that's one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Are people just "offended" because the C word was mentioned?

I agree there needs to be some kind of line in the thunderdome, but in this particular case has anyone thought of asking Cathymoran what she thinks of it? I know everyone's different but if I was in that position I think I'd find it very amusing. I generally enjoy having a laugh at having my foibles pointed out to me (especially the ones I don't already know about).

I know that not everyone does, and that some people do but find some things too personal and serious, and I certainly wouldn't blame Cathymoran for finding this too serious and personal to be made a joke of, but if that's the case I'm sure she's more than capable of managing to be offended by it herself. I doubt she needs other people to be "offended" just in case she's offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Has some one informed cathymoran of the existence of this thread?

I completely agree with the Thunderdome, but I don't agree with bringing other users into the equation that have not quite entered the thunderdome yet.

I think we should get the opinion of the person in question before we go making rash decisions. Either way, the Thunderdome faces repeat opposition at least once a month, and I think it's well past time that it's position on this board was reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Im advertising that Piste is a gobsh#te.

Pot calling the Kettle black

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement