Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There needs to be a line in The Thunderdome

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Thats more or less lolocaustic humour, which is alright in its own place and time, but it really shouldn't spill over onto those who don't want to be involved in it (like the toddler rape jokes in a recent AH thread by some character calling himself turd ferguson, who got belted around for it but the posts were deleted).

Poor form on the part of Piste.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im wouldn't consider myslef easily offended, but there is certain lines you dont cross. Would the poster of the "joke" say that to someone with cancer in real life.. I'd hope not . As someone who has had a relative die recently from cancer I really fail to see the funny side in making fun of something so serious that effects so many people.

Edit: what i mean about the real life thing is you'd call somebody a bollox (or whatever) in real life if you were having a row with them, but I'd hope you wouldn't say anything like that

Its a joke. Seriously, get over it. No harm was mentioned. We cant go pussy footing around someone because they have/had cancer. Its a joke. All in good humour. Its not meant to be insulting. Im sure Piste meant no harm in it at all, and a lot of people want his head on a plate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Sully wrote: »
    Its a joke. Seriously, get over it. No harm was mentioned. We cant go pussy footing around someone because they have/had cancer. Its a joke. All in good humour. Its not meant to be insulting. Im sure Piste meant no harm in it at all, and a lot of people want his head on a plate!
    Piste is a he????

Not in very good taste but alot worse has been said and gone unnoticed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I find this post offensive. Humour is all about context. I haven't seen humour or anything like it in the dome in a long while. "No harm was mentioned" - I'm not sure you read the content of several posts in there based on this.

As for "pussy footing around someone who has cancer" - cop on. How about minding your own business [posters in general, not directing this at you particularly]? Cathy or Shane don't post in the dome if they did they'd be fair game. What posters discuss outside the dome shouldn't have to be curbed for fear of mockery, it's distasteful. It's akin to taking posts out of PI and having a laugh about them in Humour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

slideways wrote: »
    Piste is a he????

He/She - no idea tbh.
    I find this post offensive. Humour is all about context. I haven't seen humour or anything like it in the dome in a long while. "No harm was mentioned" - I'm not sure you read the content of several posts in there based on this.

As for "pussy footing around someone who has cancer" - cop on. How about minding your own business [posters in general, not directing this at you particulary]? Cathy or Shane don't post in the dome if they did they'd be fair game. What posters discuss outside the dome shouldn't have to be curbed for fear of mockery, it's distasteful. It's akin to taking posts out of PI and having a laugh about them in Humour.

The thread was about a posters style. It wasn't personal abuse, or an insult. Nor was it an attack on the user. The only reason people are in shock is because it just so happens this poster has/had cancer and the posting style made a joke out of the fact that poster refers to it a lot.

If the said poster commented about having a child a lot, and Piste changed his post to reflect that - nobody would care.

• Advertisement

I don't think it should be permitted. Some people are sensitive about what's posted about them, this has come to the forefront and been discussed in-depth in recent weeks. With the amount of debate that's going on about cyber-bullying I don't think that boards should be providing a platform for such activities.

You think it's fine to take posters material from LTI and mock them in the Thunderdome? OK. It's interesting to see where some people draw the line with this.

I don't think it should be permitted. Some people are sensitive about what's posted about them, this has come to the forefront and been discussed in-depth in recent weeks. With the amount of debate that's going on about cyber-bullying I don't think that boards should be providing a platform for such activities.

This is absolutely nowhere near cyber-bullying.
    You think it's fine to take posters material from LTI and mock them in the Thunderdome? OK. It's interesting to see where some people draw the line with this.

Oh, so Cathy only posts in LTI? Eh okay then.. Why is Piste in LTI?!

How would you describe cyber-bullying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If anything that post is just poor taste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nevf wrote: »
    I completely agree with the Thunderdome, but I don't agree with bringing other users into the equation that have not quite entered the thunderdome yet.
    That's pretty much it for me. If you want to go into the thunderdome, then cool. I've had a few chuckles perusing it, but there is a line and that crossed it. I don't think it's cyber bullying though. Just in píss poor taste.
    Sully wrote:
    If the said poster commented about having a child a lot, and Piste changed his post to reflect that - nobody would care.
    I have to say that's a silly argument in it's defence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

The only reason people are in shock is because it just so happens this poster has/had cancer and the posting style made a joke out of the fact that poster refers to it a lot.

What in the name of jaysus are you on about?!

castie wrote: »
    Pot calling the Kettle black

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

could be wrong here, gonna stick my neck out, from the odd time i have stuck my head around the thunderdome door, i gather its just for posters to flame each other, and a major major p!ss take, obviously in jest and not in a vendeta for something that might have been said or following a mod decission on the the general board

of the once or twice i have been there, once following another thread that was locked in afterhours, the OP of the locked post and the mod who locked it, got some serious abuse in there by the poster who got the thread locked, think the mod was a regular dome user, not so sure on the OP, and my self too when i dared to comment, now there was probably no way of proving the posts made were personal as aposed to being in jest, but it was very coincidental that they were made so close to the AH post being locked, when the poster who got the AH thread locked was attacked by a group of mods, again due to the style of posting in there, i was difficult to see if it was in jest, or if it was for real and they really felt he/she was being out of line

cant remember if i reported said posts in there, as i felt my self that they were in relation to the AH thread, and if i had, due to the style of the dome, how could it have been decided if the posts were coincidential or not

just to add, my experience is not in relation to the one that is being discussed here, but in comment to the tittle of the thread

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have to say that's a silly argument in it's defence.

No its not. The only reason why this post is in poor taste is because the poster had/has cancer and the posting style of this poster refers to that (apparently). So, Piste (in a thread about everybodys posting style) made a small harmful joke about it. People are shocked that someone could make a joke out of a poster referring to the fact they had cancer.

Bad taste, maybe. Anything else, no.
    How would you describe cyber-bullying?

I would NOT say that Piste is bullying Cathy or her husband for god sake. That post is nowhere near bullying ANYBODY.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Cyber-bullying involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behaviour by an individual or group, that is intended to harm others.
    What in the name of jaysus are you on about?!

I could ask you the very same question.

Wrong. Its 100% cyber-bullying and maybe even a bit more serious than that. If this was the States Piste would be getting sued by Cathy any week now tbh.

Its not slagging, its not a bit of fun, its disgusting it made me ashamed to be associated with/reading Boards for so long.

The Thunderdome needs to go back to threads been moved there only or 2 people who have a gripe with each other willing to slug it out. At the moment its a poorman's Stormfront minus the agenda.

Wrong. Its 100% cyber-bullying and maybe even a bit more serious than that. If this was the States Piste would be getting sued by Cathy any week now tbh.

Its not slagging, its not a bit of fun, its disgusting it made me ashamed to be associated with/reading Boards for so long.

The Thunderdome needs to go back to threads been moved there only or 2 people who have a gripe with each other willing to slug it out. At the moment its a poorman's Stormfront minus the agenda.

Are you for real?! Suing? Bullying?

Honestly.

I could ask you the very same question.

You said this

Its a ridiculous, mind boggling statement and Im not the only person who's said so.

You said this

Its a ridiculous, mind boggling statement and Im not the only person who's said so.

Its true though. Change that to anything else, bar an LTI, and nobody would care.

I would NOT say that Piste is bullying Cathy or her husband for god sake. That post is nowhere near bullying ANYBODY.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Cyber-bullying involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behaviour by an individual or group, that is intended to harm others.

I was looking for your definition, if I wanted to wiki it I could have had a look. Feel free to give post it here.

Me, I'd class the repeated unwanted harassment of a poster under cyberbullying. This isn't the first time this poster was targeted in the dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

So Sully you think its ok to slag off people from LTI about the fact they talk about what they are going through? ..... Off you go so.

• Advertisement

Are you for real?! Suing? Bullying?

Honestly.

I dont have the time but Im sure I could Google similar incidents where forums have been forced to hand over ISP numbers for similar deformatory comments.

I was looking for your definition, if I wanted to wiki it I could have had a look. Feel free to give post it here.

Iv went though plenty of normal bullying. Cyber-bullying is the exact same thing but its on the internet. Bullying is targeting someone and harassing them, mocking them, attacking them physically, shouting abusive remarks about them etc.

In this case, we have a poster who (apparently) posts about having cancer a lot in her posts. In a thread about other users posting styles, Piste commented on Cathys posting style which just happened to be referring to her LTI a lot. Nothing else, no "What a retard" type comments. Simply pointed out a users posting style.

You cant sue someone for pointing that out. You cant pull the bullying card either - because its not repeated attacks, and the poster meant the comment in good fun. A joke. A bit of crack. A laugh. Not realising it might be in poor taste to a lot of people including Cathy. Im sure that once Piste reads this topic, he/she will apologise for offending anyone and insist it was just a joke.
    Me, I'd class the repeated unwanted harassment of a poster under cyberbullying. This isn't the first time this poster was targeted in the dome.

Has Piste been constantly harassing Cathy? And this user is still on Boards? I take a very dim view on bullying, and if Piste is constantly at Cathy then yes - that is bullying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No its not.
    Let's face it is. Yea I see where you're going with it but as an argument? It's pretty silly.
    I agree completely. Calling it bullying is either a bit dumb or point scoring for the sake of it.
    Have to again agree with Sully here. You're getting all hyped up on that score. So what "if in the states". You can get banned on many of their forums for saying "fúck". On others you can nearly get banned for not saying it enough. :) We're not in the states anyway so a completely moot point.

Can you give links? That would put a different slant on it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

6th wrote: »
    So Sully you think its ok to slag off people from LTI about the fact they talk about what they are going through? ..... Off you go so.

This is different 6th. The way people are going in in this thread is like Piste set out to bully Cathy. I highly doubt it. I have no problem with Cathy, I dont know her, and I think the idea of talking about your illness helps and the LTI forum is a great place. Nobody should be targeted for doing so whether it be a joke or actual bullying. I can only assume because of the thread title, Cathy does it an AWFUL lot.

If Piste picked Cathy out of the many others in LTI, and in a posting style thread, I assume Piste got the impression that a lot of Cathys posts KEEP referring to the fact she has an LTI. Excessively. He picked this up, and posted what he thinks is a common posting style for that user. AS a joke. Assuming that people would just laugh and not actually consider it offensive - never mind bullying.
    I dont have the time but Im sure I could Google similar incidents where forums have been forced to hand over ISP numbers for similar deformatory comments.

Please do. I highly doubt anybody has ever successfully sued someone for pointing out their posting style without making any further joke or directly offensive comment that was insulting or damages the persons name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Piste is a she.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Let's face it is. Yea I see where you're going with it but as an argument? It's pretty silly.

The only reason why I used that, and I could use countless other similar arguments, is to show that people are only giving out here not because there taking the piss out of users posting styles that are not in the dome but because one person put together a post based on one users posting style which happens to repeat excessively that she has cancer. Its JUST because of that - the cancer bit. NOTHING else.

I have no problem with Cathy, or anyone with an LTI. I have no problem with someone talking about their LTI, and asking for advise. Sometimes talking about it to much isn't a good thing - and can do more harm then good. What Piste did was, maybe poor taste, but not bullying or meant in anyway to be offensive or hurtful.

I don't agree with dragging people into the Dome and insulting them (which isn't what happened here) that are not posters there.

Tbh, that thread is more an AH thread rather then a Dome thread!

6th wrote: »
    Piste is a she.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The comment was kinda in bad taste but it certainly doesn't amount to bullying. Some people are really overreacting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

No, I don't think it's an attempt at bullying by any means, but I do think it was a horrible, immature comment to make about CM - People are overreacting with the bullying remarks though. It was an attempt at humour that failed at the first hurdle.

So what if a user talks about their long term illness, whether it is in or out of the LTI forum - Noone should get the piss taken out of them for it. And if talking about it helps either themselves or someone else going through the same, then all the more reason for the user to talk about it, imo.

• Advertisement

I dont think it was a take the piss as such tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement