Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There needs to be a line in The Thunderdome

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hagar wrote: »
    Suggestion:

Great idea Hagar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Vexorg wrote: »
    Spankeh has been added as mod of the forum.

And the burning question on all our minds, what did Spankeh ever do to you to deserve this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If a user insists on harping on about their personal life again and again (in many cases at the expense of other users threads), people are going to notice.

It may not be very commendable or even nice to respond to such a public vulnerability, but it will happen.

On the one hand you want us to not take Thunderdome seriously because it's just words but then you want us to take into account that somone dragging a thread (or threads), which are also just words, off topic is grounds for this shit.
    Well way to fuck up the thunderdome everyone.

Yes, it's completely ****ed up now. It was closed for a few hours, a few comments were removed and a mod was installed. How will it ever survive?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The idea of the Thunderdome originally was you had to put yourself in the game (by posting there) to be a valid target for abuse/rows/whatever. Unfortunately the ability to move threads there messed that up but the forum kinda worked anyway so I left it alone. Maybe we should review the ability to move threads there and reinstate the original rule.

I've zero problem with rough play (I love Lolocaust for example) but I appreciate that not everyone does and that people have a basic right to remain unattacked.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

DeVore wrote: »
    The idea of the Thunderdome originally was you had to put yourself in the game (by posting there) to be a valid target for abuse/rows/whatever. Unfortunately the ability to move threads there messed that up but the forum kinda worked anyway so I left it alone. Maybe we should review the ability to move threads there and reinstate the original rule.

I've zero problem with rough play (I love Lolocaust for example) but I appreciate that not everyone does and that people have a basic right to remain unattacked.

DeV.

Why not move threads that currently get moved to The Thunderdome to The Recycle Bin and allow people to post in there but not start new threads that way they can still get carried off topic and users wont get dragged into The Thunderdome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Mairt wrote: »
    We still have the craic in lolcaust.
    Until I got banned. Seriously. Coz' of my age. Damn you hagar. :pac:
    Vexorg wrote: »
    Spankeh has been added as mod of the forum and as a result of this and the pms I have received from the regular users, the forum is open for business again while the new guidlines get trashed out.
    Good decision. Spankeh also has a laid back sense of humour and is the right pedobear for the job in my opinion.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    And the burning question on all our minds, what did Spankeh ever do to you to deserve this?!
    lmao. The poor fecker is ruined now...

It is time the situation was reviewed, and I think the right decision has been made to appoint a perma-mod to the forum. Then after that, it gives everyone sufficient time to remove the focus on this one post, and then people can begin focusing on what to do next.

I have to agree with RoundyMooney. The sense of community is stronger than ever, and people are rolling onto Boards everyday, but there's times that I feel that the sense of atmosphere is slowly going down the tubes. One particular Boards Beers that I remember hearing about is an example of this, where it turned into a shabby night and then one night later, there was a thread on the BGRH and Feedback with people bitching to one another.

The rules are so libelous, and whilst everyone hates the idea of having mods, cmods, smods and admins all standing over you while you post, it's a necessary step. From having asshole's post all over the place to having spam from computer bots in america flaunting dating websites. So, yeah, Mods are necessary, and are of great value to this site - apart from the odd slip-up that we see on Feedback from time to time.

Roundy is coming from an experienced point of view when he says what he says, and I respect that.

I think it's time thigs were changed slightly on the whole discussion board. When you see that The Thunderdome is now going down the tubes, there is something definetley not going right. Lolocaust is probably the only forum that anyone has any fun in anymore. For the simple reason that anyone who is requesting access is automatically admitting to been 'not-right-in-the-head'.

Feedback is amusing - it's fluckign hilarious - watching posts about power crazed nazis banning people -but sometimes, when I stop laughing, I get the impression that Boards is actually turning into a sad depressive meeting stop in the middle of a concentration camp.

Of course, my opinion is that of a registered user with <2000 posts, so I don't really count at all, but I think this forum needs a shake-up and a sense of determination and atmosphere needs to be injected back into the place. In a time when the government is trying to close pubs, and ban alcohol, I think that Boards users should start drinking virtual alcohol again.

I also agree with Hagar, but I also think that no matter how much you blanket the forum, people on the outside are going to always question ethics, and the only solution I can see here, is to render the forum a private one. And then implement a simple rule, that only people inside the mystery fora can fall victim to the foul language of it's counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Whose business is it to decide?
    Moderators. Thats why they are there. besides, if someone can't tell the difference between genuinely edgy humour and crassness, they probably aren't as funneh as they think they are.
    If a user insists on harping on about their personal life again and again (in many cases at the expense of other users threads), people are going to notice.
    If it bothers you that much, put them on ignore. Making them a target is generally grounds for banning.
    It may not be very commendable or even nice to respond to such a public vulnerability, but it will happen.
    And when it happens, I'd expect that user to get banned. Thats not going to happen in this case, because the poster was basically acting within the remit of the forum, but 1) that remit is being changed directly because of this post and 2) being the boob that got the thunderdome closed is probably punishment enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

nevf wrote: »
    but sometimes, when I stop laughing, I get the impression that Boards is actually turning into a sad depressive meeting stop in the middle of a concentration camp.
    Did you start thinking this before or after the TD got shut down? Honestly, this is like watching kids who threw their toys out of the pram having a tantrum (not aimed at you nevf).

Did you start thinking this before or after the TD got shut down? Honestly, this is like watching kids who threw their toys out of the pram having a tantrum (not aimed at you nevf).
    I don't care who it's aimed at - Even if it was aimed at me, I've had worse insults thrown at me in Feedback. :pac:.

I've been thinking this for a while now, about the atmosphere being crap. I've also been thinking that the place needs a shake up. But today really made me think harder about it.

For a forum that reigns at insulting people, and that that is it's purpose, and now needs a moderator. It shows that things are been taking too seriously. At the same time, I don't agree with people been dragged into the thunderdome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't care who it's aimed at - Even if it was aimed at me, I've had worse insults thrown at me in Feedback. :pac:.

I've been thinking this for a while now, about the atmosphere being crap. I've also been thinking that the place needs a shake up. But today really made me think harder about it.

For a forum that reigns at insulting people, and that that is it's purpose, and now needs a moderator. It shows that things are been taking too seriously. At the same time, I don't agree with people been dragged into the thunderdome.
    *grabs nevf by the lug* come with me ya wee scroat

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you read Vex's post he did seem to imply that the mod was temporary in order to get the forum opened again (as requested by the regulars). We're having a discussion now in the other thread about how to move forward. Remember, the mod will only enforce the rules that arise from that thread, if there is a mod.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mirto

all you bastards with your sandy vaginas are ruining boards.
    srsly. Die.

lol.

What is lolcaust?

slideways wrote: »
    *grabs nevf by the lug* come with me ya wee scroat
    I'd kick your ass and you know it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm with Sully and RoundyMooney - and these are two of Boards' most outspoken posters when it comes to stomping out bullying. I see certain posters here outraged by this, and it's surprising because the very same would have taken the exact opposite stance on other recent Feedback threads...

I would appeal to CathyMoran not to get hurt by the comment. The thread was started in After Hours two years ago and caused me some major LOL moments - it was a good-natured thread too and only got ruined by a handful of individuals who decided to get personal with people (as usual). When it was in AH, it was ok to mention anyone at all (as opposed to just AH regulars) so when it got moved to the Thunderdome, posters held on to that rather than bearing in mind that only Thunderdome regulars should be the subject of posts.

Piste only posted what she would view as something typically posted by CathyMoran. And she's right - that IS something CathyMoran would post a lot (and I don't see a problem with Cathy doing so. These are things which affect her massively on an emotional level and she has every right to express that whenever she wants. It might seem she goes on about them a lot but look at it from the perspective of someone who has survived a terminal illness). I'm not at all attempting to be nasty, just stating fact, and I think the very same applies to Piste.

However, I think if Piste had just posted something about CathyMoran going on about how wonderful her husband is, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. In fact, at the start of the thread, someone posted such a comment and CathyMoran was just laughing at it.

The problem though is, cancer was brought into it. Whether Cathy mentions it a lot, and therefore making Piste's comment accurate, doesn't matter, because her period of illness was a very painful and difficult time in her life. But again - no malice, just a "poster's typical post".

I've seen other comments poking fun at Cathy in this way when it was completely unnecessary and not relevant to the thread and THAT was ****ty, but this wasn't off-topic and it wasn't inaccurate, but it was too close to the bone because Cathy's illness was brought into it. And I can understand her being hurt because it appears to undermine what she experienced, however, as I said, I would encourage her not to take it as a hurtful jibe.

Dudess wrote: »
    That was a briallint post.Sums it up really; was never supposed to go out of control, but it did....

I'm with Sully and RoundyMooney - and these are two of Boards' most outspoken posters when it comes to stomping out bullying. I see certain posters here outraged by this, and it's surprising because the very same would have taken the exact opposite stance on other recent Feedback threads...

I would appeal to CathyMoran not to get hurt by the comment. The thread was started in After Hours two years ago and caused me some major LOL moments - it was a good-natured thread too and only got ruined by a handful of individuals who decided to get personal with people (as usual). When it was in AH, it was ok to mention anyone at all (as opposed to just AH regulars) so when it got moved to the Thunderdome, posters held on to that rather than bearing in mind that only Thunderdome regulars should be the subject of posts.

Piste only posted what she would view as something typically posted by CathyMoran. And she's right - that IS something CathyMoran would post a lot (and I don't see a problem with Cathy doing so. These are things which affect her massively on an emotional level and she has every right to express that whenever she wants. It might seem she goes about them a lot but look at it from the perspective of someone who has survived a terminal illness). I'm not at all attempting to be nasty, just stating fact, and I think the very same applies to Piste.

However, I think if Piste had just posted something about CathyMoran going on about how wonderful her husband is, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. In fact, at the start of the thread, someone posted such a comment and CathyMoran was just laughing at it.

The problem though is, cancer was brought into it. Whether Cathy mentions it a lot, and therefore making Piste's comment accurate, doesn't matter, because her period of illness was a very painful and difficult time in her life. But again - no malice, just a "poster's typical post".

I've seen other comments poking fun at Cathy in this way when it was completely unnecessary and not relevant to the thread and THAT was ****ty, but this wasn't off-topic and it wasn't inaccurate, but it was too close to the bone because Cathy's illness was brought into it. And I can understand her being hurt because it appears to undermine what she experienced, however, as I said, I would encourage her not to take it as a hurtful jibe.

Internet. Serious business. Perhaps this is just a bunch of forums on the Internet or is it a community? People would really need to decide sometime or never the twain shall meet. You can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes.

Or perhaps it will evolve like the whites and ickle black people in South Africa or all those Norides who now get along, for want of a better or more intelligentsia reply.

Intersting factamundo though. In SA they have to hire black people by law. You should see what they do there. Over here on Driving ranges we have lawnmower type vehicles to pick up the golf balls. In a lot of SA they have black people with helmets on running around driving ranges picking up the balls and rather that aim for flags and distance the golfers aim for them. Nice! huh?

Cathy had some sh1t said about her on the internet. You are your posts. There are various level of nastyness but sure if the majority think it is ok...then it is all good.

In Gods eyes you are all loved equally.

Армаагедон нет что вы думаете что оно

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

From the following onwards, you've lost me:
    Mirto wrote: »
    Intersting factamundo though. In SA they have to hire black people by law. You should see what they do there. Over here on Driving ranges we have lawnmower type vehicles to pick up the golf balls. In a lot of SA they have black people with helmets on running around driving ranges picking up the balls and rather that aim for flags and distance the golfers aim for them. Nice! huh?

Cathy had some sh1t said about her on the internet. You are your posts. There are various level of nastyness but sure if the majority think it is ok...then it is all good.

<3

I was just about to say the same thing...

The point of your post isn't entirely clear to me Mirto. Sorry but I see no relevance between Black South African people and the thunderdome....

Don't hold it against me. Blame your parents or something?

I was just about to say the same thing...

The point of your post isn't entirely clear to me Mirto. Sorry but I see no relevance between Black South African people and the thunderdome....

Ok, I'll make it a bit more obvious for the "learner class"

"Internet. Serious business. Perhaps this is just a bunch of forums on the Internet or is it a community? People would really need to decide sometime or never the twain shall meet. You can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes."

"Cathy had some sh1t said about her on the internet. You are your posts. There are various level of nastyness but sure if the majority think it is ok...then it is all good.

<3
    "

How does that work out for you now? Jesus wept tbh.

But I felt his tears fall on me and I was saved, for I knew his love and it was the love that touched your soul when you were lost in the darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

re-reg dont fade away..................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Every time I see a post from Cathy Moran that's precisely the sort of image I get in my mind about what she's going to say. Nothing wrong with that, it's purely an observation about a posters posting style. Ok, so Piste wrote it down, but so what? It was an observation, and you know what, it was an accurate one. In fact I had it in my signature because I laughed so much at it - but not out of nastiness, because it was one of the sole posts in that entire thread that I actually did so and thought 'wow, that really does summarize the poster in question so well'. It's not even Thunderdome material, nor does this thread even deserve to have the Thunderdome dragged into it, really - that could have easily been posted on AH. It's unfortunate that some people get their vagina's so dry over it, and genuinely so that the poster in question took offense at it, but at the end of the day there was absolutely no ill will in the post from Piste, unlike every other instance that usually spark off these sort of threads. Bad taste at worst, but I didn't even think that to be honest.

@ Mirto:
    ...and they say we are all equal in the eyes of god.

But then again they say; never argue with an idiot. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Every time I see a post from Cathy Moran that's precisely the sort of image I get in my mind about what she's going to say. Nothing wrong with that, it's purely an observation about a posters posting style. Ok, so Piste wrote it down, but so what? It was an observation, and you know what, it was an accurate one. In fact I had it in my signature because I laughed so much at it - but not out of nastiness, because it was one of the sole posts in that entire thread that I actually did so and thought 'wow, that really does summarize the poster in question so well'. It's not even Thunderdome material, nor does this thread even deserve to have the Thunderdome dragged into it, really - that could have easily been posted on AH. It's unfortunate that some people get their vagina's so dry over it, and genuinely so that the poster in question took offense at it, but at the end of the day there was absolutely no ill will in the post from Piste, unlike every other instance that usually spark off these sort of threads. Bad taste at worst, but I didn't even think that to b honest.

Your truth is unacceptable and unpalletable.
    Fear the mob :pac:

I'd have posted that logic thing in the Ms French Thread btw. I may still do. logic_away would approve tbh :) Can you send it to .... mirtorossa AT Gmail . com

Go raibh maith agat.

@ Mirto:
    ...and they say we are all equal in the eyes of god.

But then again they say; never argue with an idiot. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You didn't really have a point there, did you? You just posted for the sake of it.

God will still love you.

God will still love you.
    Don't worry. I bought indulgences. Two for a pound at tesco.

Don't worry. I bought indulgences. Two for a pound at tesco.

As I thought. Not a lot to say, well nothing clever anyways. Just meandering through a thread.

meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As I thought. Not a lot to say, well nothing clever anyways. Just meandering through a thread.

meh.

But its ok, as "god" still loves every one of his posts, right?

:rolleyes:

But its ok, as "god" still loves every one of his posts, right?

:rolleyes:

Not just the post but his essence. That is how it works. He or She is more than their posts here. God transcends your post count etc. God has no issues and will embrace you with love regarless.

That is how it works. Don't hold it against me.

• Advertisement

meh.
    Jesus loves you all. Even the special ones.

Now what were you attempting to say again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement