Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There needs to be a line in The Thunderdome

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mirto wrote: »
    Ok, I'll make it a bit more obvious for the "learner class"

"Internet. Serious business. Perhaps this is just a bunch of forums on the Internet or is it a community? People would really need to decide sometime or never the twain shall meet. You can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes."

"Cathy had some sh1t said about her on the internet. You are your posts. There are various level of nastyness but sure if the majority think it is ok...then it is all good.

In Gods eyes you are all loved equally.

Армаагедон нет что вы думаете что оно

<3
    "

How does that work out for you now? Jesus wept tbh.

But I felt his tears fall on me and I was saved, for I knew his love and it was the love that touched your soul when you were lost in the darkness.
    Nah... still gibberish. But thanks for attempting to explain. I'm impressed with the Russian or Greek or whatever phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ok, so Piste wrote it down, but so what? It was an observation, and you know what, it was an accurate one.
    No. Thats called personal abuse and people are rightly banned for it on a regular basis. That it happened in the one and only forum where personal abuse is the norm doesn't excuse the fact that the abuse was directed at someone with no involvement in the forum.

Hence the ensuing shitstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Dudess wrote: »
    Nah... still gibberish. But thanks for attempting to explain. I'm impressed with the Russian or Greek or whatever phrase.
    Dood - it's hebrew! See how Mirto keeps talking about god, and jesus spoke hebrew. Maybe, it's a messenger?

This is scary shit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mirto banned from Feedback for 2 weeks for being, frankly, just too freakin bonkers.

Back on topic please, this aint God's business.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

DeVore wrote: »
    Back on topic please, this aint God's business.

If it were, I would pity him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No. Thats called personal abuse and people are rightly banned for it on a regular basis. That it happened in the one and only forum where personal abuse is the norm doesn't excuse the fact that the abuse was directed at someone with no involvement in the forum.

Hence the ensuing shitstorm.

There were caricatures of posters far more aggressive and personal in tone on the thread, prior, and not a word was said- now I agree the thread was guilty of harboring a certain level of personal abuse but to call Piste's comment personal abuse is wrong really, I think. Again, bad taste maybe, but I'm surprised people see non-existent malice in it. The only difference here from 99% of the other posts is that people took offense at including the stigma of cancer in what appears, in my own opinion, a relatively harmless and light hearted portrayal. Bad judgment maybe, personal abuse hell no. Now, that said, I've never had cancer so I can't exactly give a 100% guaranteed reaction to such a situation, but I've had the piss ripped out of me more then once on this site over personal matters mentioned elsewhere, it doesn't bother me.... you have to look at things on the internet with a slightly different mindset then you know....reality? When people say things on the internet, they put about 1% of the effort into it that others expand needlessly over-analyzing it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have to agree with Sully and Dudess - it wasn't bullying, it was just an observation. I understand how it could be seen to be in bad taste, but it's not like Piste mocked her for having cancer or anything. She was just commenting on the way CathyMoran posts.

Also I notice the whole thread has been deleted now :( Pity, because there some really lol posts there. And I had just posted, starring as Kazobel.

Again, bad taste maybe, but I'm surprised people see non-existent malice in it.

Bad judgment
    Sorry now, but bad taste and bad judgement isn't a panacea. There is a line which the post was clearly across, as evidenced by SMcCarrick's post on the matter.
    you have to look at things on the internet with a slightly different mindset then you know....reality?
    I wonder if you explained that to the legal counsel of the group who shall not be named, would they drop their ongoing action against boards? I'm sure if you explain it just like that, they'll see the light and let it drop.

The internet is no longer the sole preserve of carpal-tunnel-crippled quakers, there are people on board now who don't get it and shouldn't have to. That is reality.

If you want to see sandy vaginas look no further than the posters who are just now realising they have no free speech around here, and if even they did its not licence to spout whatever faecal matter floats to the top of the toilet bowl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lads, DeV has asked we get back on topic. Some people think its bullying, others dont. The admins have ruled on the matter, so we dont need to discuss it any further.

Now, back to the whole Thunderdome and where there is a line.

EDIT: SimpleSam06: Fail. (Dont be offended, im joking!)

Sully wrote: »
    EDIT: SimpleSam06: Fail. (Dont be offended, im joking!)
    Damn dirty hotlinkers!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Pistes' comment was in very bad taste.

Yes I am a regular user of the dome.. But I personally thought the comment was below the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Bottom line.

Many posters were caricatured in that thread.

Few of them PMed the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Closed - this is not thunderdome so lets end this here.

Decision has been made and amendments to Thunderdome happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hey there,

I asked for this thread to be unlocked so I could just speak for myself for a sec.

I was really surprised to see a feedback thread here about that post in the thunderdome, I hadn't realised so many people would get up in arms about it. My post was made with my tongue lodged so firmly in my cheek that the meaning of it became distorted.

Some posters on here appear to think it was spiteful, nasty and malicious, but that was not the way I intended my post to be read.

That entire thread was about posting in a users particular style, and if that user mentions something an awful lot of course it will be picked up upon. I get the feeling a lot of people who were so quick to cry "Cyber-bullying!!!!!" Might not have read many of CathyMoran's posts outside LTI and so perhaps didn't realise how often she mentions both her cancer and her husband. If it were the case that she only posted in the LTI forum about her cancer then of course I wouldn't have dont a parody of her posts in that way.

The way I saw it was that I was just posting a caricature of a typical post of CathyMoran as she mentions both her husband and her cancer an awful lot. That's all it was; a caricature. Nothing more, nothing less. No jibes, no mockery, and certainly no intent to hurt CathyMoran herself. I thought from other posts on that thread that everything was fair game, but seeing CathyMoran's reaction to it I realise it was insensitive and have since apologised to her.

What I really want to clear up is that no malice or hurt was intended to anyone, some posters are reading a spitefullness and nastiness that just isn't there. To me it just seemed a humourous post containing many references to something which CathyMoran brings up a lot- and has every right to do so- and no different to most other posts in the thread.

I most certainly was not mocking her or making light of any aspects of her life, I merely highlighted that she posts about it a lot.

Ok admins you can lock it back up now, my piece has been said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Just giving SmcCarrick and CathyMoran an opportunity to respond.
    Piste- what you are saying may very well be. The fact of the matter is that your comment was insensitive, and it took massive outcry by many people before you apologised. I do acknowledge that a significant body of people seem to be of the same train of thought as you- but that does not excuse it, nor make make the hurt felt by Cathymoran any the less.

Several people seem to also be of the opinion that either I or Cathymoran PM’ed the Admins about the post- which is not the case, indeed the sole post I made on the matter (post no. 64 of this thread) suggested that the post in question be deleted (not the thread, and not the forum) and a debate on the raison d’etre of the forum be held. Ironically both Cathymoran and I received a number of PMs from different people both about the thread in the Thunderdome and also about this thread in Feedback, suggesting either one or the other of step in to explain the situation. We made a decision to stay out of the debate.

Your post was actually the third post caricaturing Cathymoran on the thread- the other two were in reasonable taste (though Pighead’s posts are an acquired taste……). Whether you intended it purely as a tongue-in-cheek caricature or not, doesn’t really matter anymore, unfortunately it didn’t read that way.

On that note- I’d like to request this thread be consigned to the great lock-up in the sky for good.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement