Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Edit Pro

Options
  • 09-08-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Cool edit pro is the best program for editing audio, however, if you're looking for something FREE to do it, choose AUDACITY.

Look it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Randon thoughts ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

Just trying to post some useful info. No biggy. Wanted to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Note: Cool Edit Pro is long since obsolete. Since 2003 it has been taken over by Adobe, and is known as Adobe Audition. It is now in version 3.

I use it to record musicians as a hobby, and to chop/edit/modify standalone audio. I love it. However, if you plan on using MIDI, don't. The clock timings must be wrong, because if you play and record (say a guitar track) alongside an imported MIDI file (say a backing drum track), and later convert the MIDI to audio (to add glorifying effects, also for merging and exporting your full song in wave format, and whatnot), it won't match your guitar piece timing wise. Every millisecond counts in music, and on this front Adobe Audition is a total let down. It's not built for MIDI, and it shows. But, for audio, it's simply unbeatable for the cost, and provides decent enough ASIO support.

I suggest using Cubase if you intend on using MIDI (inc. VST) in your recordings, or alternatively, record your MIDI file to Audio first, and then use it in Adobe Audition as your backing track.

Proof and References to the Adobe takeover:
    http://www.adobe.com/special/products/audition/syntrillium.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Audition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Here's exactly what I mean about it's unreliable MIDI capabilities.

No effects, no engineering, no proper mixing, just a raw recording. But listen to how it goes wrong, particularly from the middle onwards. I assure you that the guitars were played accurately to a click track/metronome. And I believe, when I recorded this guy in in the middle of last year, it was even worse. I remember trying my damn best to match the backing track to the rest of the song, but it didn't quite work. My failed best effort is what you're about to hear.

Song gone wrong:
    http://www.deceifermedia.com/main/files/music/Derek_Buckley_-_Untitled_As_Far_(Botched_Version).mp3

Oh, and never use a cheap semi-acoustic guitar. You'll see why when you listen to the song, the sound is dreadful, completely plastic. It was a big mistake of mine, thinking it would be more accurate by using a decent cable. Always mic them (I usually place the mic around the 12th fret a few inches back). If using an electric, best results are always taken from when you mic the amp, and not direct input (wire) it to the soundcard/compressor/etc.

I should also tell you that it's not my PC or Internal Hardware at fault. I've put that to the test, and it happens just about anywhere. Cubase/Cubasis always works a treat for me, as that program is a proper sequencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Thanks for the info Radio..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 techguru2k8

it's only improved since adobe took it over

Advertisement