Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

can't connect 2 pc's on same network - pls help!

• 09-08-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I’m pulling my hair out trying to get two pc’s networked – they just cannot see each other…. Please offer some crumbs of advice or assistance before I finally lose it….

Here’s the details & below is what I’ve tried:

PC-1 spec:
    - XP Pro
    - 1Gb ram
    - 250Gb hard disk
    - Asrock motherboard
    - on-board network card – IP is DHCP assigned by router
    - Eset Smart Security Suite
    - two months old, built specifically for use in my new office
    - has been tried & tested working in pc builders workshop (ie it could connect & see other pc's on their network)

PC-2 spec:
    Dell Dimension 2400
    XP Pro
    512Mb Ram
    120gb hard disk drive
    USB Wireless connection – IP is DHCP assigned by router
    Eset Smart Security Suite
    3 years old, working well with no problems of any kind
    It’s in a garage across a driveway where we can’t get a wired connection to – hence the wireless usb device

Router:
    4-port; ADSL; Wireless; Standard issue by broadband provider
    Wep security set up on it
    It’s situated in my new office

This is what I’ve checked:
    Each has a unique IP address in same range
    (router = 192.168.1.1; PC-1 = 192.168.1.3; PC-2 = 192.168.1.5)
    Both are in the same workgroup; MSHOME
    File & Printer sharing is enabled on both
    Both have the My Documents folder shared
    Both can ping router; neither pc can ping the other – full packet loss
    Each can log into router configuration screen
    Both systems can connect to the internet through the router without any problems
    Searching for either the ip address or computer name of the other pc doesn’t find anything
    Turning off Eset's firewall on both pc’s - they still can’t see each other
    Tried again with Windows firewall turned off - still can't see each other

One & only thing I’ve noticed that’s odd is in My Network Places when I try to Add a Network place on the PC-2 Dell system using the USB wireless stick it gives a message that the Ethernet cable is disconnected, but I’m not actually trying to use that! If that’s the problem how do I get around it bearing in mind that I can’t get a cable from that pc to the router in the new office as it's just too far?

Any & all help appreciated, please help & if u need any other info just post & I'll reply asap... thanks in advance of any help at all, yes I'm really desperate...:confused::confused::confused:

Jasper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just worth checking that your subnets are correct on both PC's. If you're using DHCP from the router they should be, but I have seen similar problems if the two PC's are on separate subnets, with subnet masks like 255.555.0.0 and 255.255.255.0. I know that would mean the PC with the incorrect 255.255.0.0 subnet mask shouldn't be able to connect to the internet but SOHO Routers that automatically set up their routing tables can sometimes allow this to work.

Assuming the above is not the problem then FORGET about seeing the other PC's is a FRAUD perpertated on computer users by Bill Gates and Co. There is no need to be able to SEE a computer in a browse list to be able to connect to it. Seeing a browse list in Network Neigborhood and actually connecting to a computer are quite different things.

Check the IP address of one computer and from the run command on the other type [URL="file://\\IPaddress"]\\IPaddress[/URL] and see what you get. Also I'd never share my docs as a test, don't know why but as its a windows special folder I'm never happy using it as a test for sharing. Just create a new folder called share on one PC share it with a share name share and check the share permissions on the share tab that everone has full control and again on the security tab check that the everyone group has full control - (yes thats a real bad for security but we want working first).

Also not checked this but if both PC's are using the admistrator account then I seem to remember that if there is no password set for the admin account then there are some limitations on the connections to make it more difficult for hackers looking for admin shares with no password. So log on to both PC's with the same username and same password to start with.

Let us know how you get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

TTM, many thanks for your reply & very interesting comments, I'll take a look again 2morrow (i'm away today:)) but will let you know how I get on....

thanks,

Jasper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

disable windows firewall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There is something blocking the pings and that is your priority to fix i.e. forget about seeing shared folders until ping works. What make of router is it?

You could rule out the wireless by moving the computer to beside the router temporarily and get both plugged in. Some routers have the option to keep the wireless seperate from the wired LAN. It still looks like a firewall problem to me though if the pings are being blocked (or if the router is keeping them seperate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

Thanks to you all for your replies as i really appreciated your help & advice but I actually managed to get it going ok.

I spent about 2hrs (ok, make that 4) yesterday going back over absolutely everything on both the pc's - it was all correct which was fine but it still wasn't working as neither could see the other.

So then I added my laptop to the workgroup - both it & the wired desktop pc could see & connect to the shared folders (Shared; test folder & My Docs) so then I know that it had to be something different on the wireless pc.

So what was it? on the wired desktop pc & laptop there was only one user; on the wireless pc there were two users which were both admin a/c's; when I shared the other user's folder guess what ? voila !!! I was able to connect to all shared folders across each of the pc's & laptop !!!

Don't know how or why this made any difference but it did, I've checked again this morning & each pc can see the other! thank god I got it working as I was driven demented.

Hope this somehow helps some other poor sod with the same issue some time.

jasper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

JasperKat wrote: »
    Thanks to you all for your replies as i really appreciated your help & advice but I actually managed to get it going ok.

I spent about 2hrs (ok, make that 4) yesterday going back over absolutely everything on both the pc's - it was all correct which was fine but it still wasn't working as neither could see the other.

So then I added my laptop to the workgroup - both it & the wired desktop pc could see & connect to the shared folders (Shared; test folder & My Docs) so then I know that it had to be something different on the wireless pc.

So what was it? on the wired desktop pc & laptop there was only one user; on the wireless pc there were two users which were both admin a/c's; when I shared the other user's folder guess what ? voila !!! I was able to connect to all shared folders across each of the pc's & laptop !!!

Don't know how or why this made any difference but it did, I've checked again this morning & each pc can see the other! thank god I got it working as I was driven demented.

Hope this somehow helps some other poor sod with the same issue some time.

jasper
    Great to hear you got it working but that doesn't explain how come you couldn't ping.

I guess at this stage you don't really care and are just happy it is working. :D

Advertisement