Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why glasglow east was important to IRL

Options
  • 09-08-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

folks,

im new to this forum, but heres an idea that might give some debate,

Glasgow east was another win for the SNP, given that brown is in real trouble, i reckon the tories will get back in the uk, mainly from an England base.
    Labour's demise will feed into the SNP and Scotland will grow more independant,

An independent Scotland will make Northern ireland look different and bring the island of Ireland closer together,

any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

gally74 wrote: »
    folks,

im new to this forum, but heres an idea that might give some debate,

Glasgow east was another win for the SNP, given that brown is in real trouble, i reckon the tories will get back in the uk, mainly from an England base.
    Labour's demise will feed into the SNP and Scotland will grow more independant,

An independent Scotland will make Northern ireland look different and bring the island of Ireland closer together,

any comments?

This reminds me of those 'orrible english LC questions that ended with "discuss...".

Anyways how do you figure the SNP have any influence over Ireland? I'm ignorant of the relationship between NI and Scotland so I dont mind being educated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

A united Celtic Fringe to stick it to the Sassenach! Moar Plx!

But yeh srsly, devolution in general has interesting implications for the North.
    But I can see the Unionists hanging onto the Union even if everyone else is long gone, vestal virgins keeping the True Flame alight...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

eoin5 wrote: »
    This reminds me of those 'orrible english LC questions that ended with "discuss...".

Anyways how do you figure the SNP have any influence over Ireland? I'm ignorant of the relationship between NI and Scotland so I dont mind being educated ;)

Unionist are generally ethnically Scottish, it was mainly Scottish protestants that emigrated during the plantations. If Scotland gains independence it would seem bizzare that NI should remain under the influence of the English when their Scottish brethren are no longer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I really don't care about how it effects NI but an independent Scotland would not be good for the ROI from an economic sense.

Since devolution many Scots politicians have said that they look to the ROI with envy on how to build a samll, open economy.

If Scotland broke from the UK it could start stealing our thunder in terms of Corporation tax, inward investment etc and with a move developend infractructure they would present a big problem to the ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

sink wrote: »
    Unionist are generally ethnically Scottish, it was mainly Scottish protestants that emigrated during the plantations. If Scotland gains independence it would seem bizzare that NI should remain under the influence of the English when their Scottish brethren are no longer so.

Believe me, Loyalists in NI wouldn't even give an inch if the Dail started ruling England. Though you're right, would be a rather silly system.

http://pulseresources.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A scottish referendum on independence is a long way off.The tories have made noises about english taxes spent on scottish projects,so it would be interesting to see how a tory govt deals with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A scottish referendum on independence is a long way off.The tories have made noises about english taxes spent on scottish projects,so it would be interesting to see how a tory govt deals with that.
    You mean while England burns Scottish oil? Or after its all gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I do feel sorry for the Scots, having to put up with English rule, in particualr from Gordon Brown, or his likely succesor David Cameron.;)

I'm not too sure you can read too much into what is happening in Scottish by-elections at the moment. The Tories were pretty much campaigning for the SNP at this one as they knew they had no chance of winning it, so I would take this more as an anti Labour vote than a pro SNP one.

I think the future of NI will be decided long beofre Scotland votes for, or fully attains, devolution. If anything, I can see England getting independance first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I do feel sorry for the Scots, having to put up with English rule, in particualr from Gordon Brown, or his likely succesor David Cameron.;)

'English' rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Gordon Brown is Scottish btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ArthurF wrote: »
    'English' rule?
    Gordon Brown is Scottish btw.

did you not see the wink? it is called irony:D

David Cameron has Scottish parents as well, although I believe he was brought up in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Och, I dinna se ye wink capn, whit ya talking bout man, me haggis is a burnin, gonnae no dae that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

I really don't care about how it effects NI but an independent Scotland would not be good for the ROI from an economic sense.

Since devolution many Scots politicians have said that they look to the ROI with envy on how to build a samll, open economy.

If Scotland broke from the UK it could start stealing our thunder in terms of Corporation tax, inward investment etc and with a move developend infractructure they would present a big problem to the ROI

While some elements of the SNP see ROI as a role-model (the famous" tartan tory" wing), I think more people in the SNP look to the scandinavian social democracies such as Denmark and Norway as examples of successfull societies that an independent scotland could hope to emulate.

Advertisement