Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom free upgrade today - Edenderry - but wrong?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I have Eircom 3meg business, and I was hoping to get 7.6 meg but they only brought me up to 4meg.

Is this right, or should I be happy with the upgrade i got for free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I have Eircom 3meg business, and I was hoping to get 7.6 meg but they only brought me up to 4meg.

Is this right, or should I be happy with the upgrade i got for free?
    Its probably a case of your line simply not being good enough for over 4mbit. Post up your line stats to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in Rathangan same story, 4096/384, have emailed Digiweb, my ISP, will have to wait to see what comes back but would have thought that my stats would have allowed me more, especially on the upload side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

4096/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    45/28 dB

4096/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    45/28 dB

Expert mode > Statistics >DSL.

Agh, I'll check when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)1024128SN Margin (dB)11.5020.00Line Attenuation (dB)47.0030.00CRC Errors100793229
    Guess 1mb is as good as it gets for now?

waster81 wrote: »
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)1024128SN Margin (dB)11.5020.00Line Attenuation (dB)47.0030.00CRC Errors100793229
    Guess 1mb is as good as it gets for now?

Only the 2mb+ lines were upgraded, you need to contact your ISP and get moved to a different package, I'd think you should get more than 1mb comfortably enough, I'm on 4mb with the same attenuation as you.

Is it expected that they upgrade everyone to 7.6 meg from 3 meg no matter what, or are they just being nice.

What I mean is, are they abliged by ComReg make these increases, or is it to keep up with all the other ISP's and there deals?

Is it expected that they upgrade everyone to 7.6 meg from 3 meg no matter what, or are they just being nice.

What I mean is, are they abliged by ComReg make these increases, or is it to keep up with all the other ISP's and there deals?

Comreg couldn't force Eircom to make the tea.
    Eircom brought in these upgrades to compete. Everyone on 3mbit will go up to 7.6 depending on line quality of course.

Comreg couldn't force Eircom to make the tea.
    Eircom brought in these upgrades to compete. Everyone on 3mbit will go up to 7.6 depending on line quality of course.

I have a feeling (and I'm not sure that I'm right), that some profiling of lines has gone on, in other words that a max speed has been assigned to lines that have a certain stats that the techs feel may lead to trouble if they try to sync at too high a speed.
    They will probably look at them on a case by case basis as folks call in to complain, and most folks probably will never know the difference.

• Advertisement

I know the difference :)

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 8.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.00 28.00
    CRC Errors 0 4

4meg is my max, that's crap, thats what what is :(

4meg is my max, that's crap, thats what what is :(

If I were you I'd downgrade to the 3mbit package (formally 2mbit). Theres not much point in you paying the extra just for 1mbit more. Your line simply is not capable of more than 4mbit.

Wont they upgrade the line anyway to allow for higher bandwidth?

nilhg wrote: »
    I have a feeling (and I'm not sure that I'm right), that some profiling of lines has gone on, in other words that a max speed has been assigned to lines that have a certain stats that the techs feel may lead to trouble if they try to sync at too high a speed.
    They will probably look at them on a case by case basis as folks call in to complain, and most folks probably will never know the difference.

This is possible, I've seen a few lines round here sync at 6144/512, sounds a bit exact to be a case of the modem dropping back (i.e. exactly 6 Mb).

Wont they upgrade the line anyway to allow for higher bandwidth?

It doesn't work that way, lines don't really get upgraded, its the same copper wire thats running to your house. The technologies will eventually be upgraded but I wouldn't hold my breath for adsl2+ on an eircom residential package and even then your max would probably be not that much more. Short of you moving closer to the exchange you're probably not going to get any faster speeds with the technology thats currently used.

exchange is in my town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Have you rebooted the router since the upgrade to allow it to re-synch to the exchange/server? Just power it off and leave it for about 10-15 seconds before powering back on.

Tried it once or twice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

hi all,

i am on the 2 meg connection and im due the upgrade to 3 meg, but everytime i ring to find out why i have not been upgraded im told its done in batches and will be in due coarse, which i think is bull to be honest i think there blagging me off,

here is my line stats

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 57.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

do i look like i can handle 3 meg?

cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A+-Guru wrote: »
    hi all,

i am on the 2 meg connection and im due the upgrade to 3 meg, but everytime i ring to find out why i have not been upgraded im told its done in batches and will be in due coarse, which i think is bull to be honest i think there blagging me off,

here is my line stats

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 1

cheers
    It should be able for max 3 meg I'd say, your attenuation is very high

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A+-Guru wrote: »
    hi all,

here is my line stats

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 1

cheers
    I'd say so. Not sure about the stability of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'd say so. Not sure about the stability of it though.
    if it does synch at 3mb it should be quite stable as the SNR is ok( ~-3 decrease for the upgrade )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A once-off SNR value is not accurate. If you refresh the page, you'll probably get a different result. Check it at night, as I see ADSL signal to noise ratio is worse then. If it's consistently around the 14dB level, you should just about manage the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

A once-off SNR value is not accurate. If you refresh the page, you'll probably get a different result. Check it at night, as I see ADSL signal to noise ratio is worse then. If it's consistently around the 14dB level, you should just about manage the upgrade.
    very true that :)

Advertisement