Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfinished tracks

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

just wondering how many of you have countless unfinshed tracks...

I can sit at the synth and mac and come up with many different tracks, but I never seem to actually finish any.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

CamperMan wrote: »
    just wondering how many of you have countless unfinshed tracks...

I can sit at the synth and mac and come up with many different tracks, but I never seem to actually finish any.....

Welcome to the club CamperMan!!

Membership is free, you'll be relieved to hear!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Finishing, is i'm afraid to say 'a peice of pi55'

I've always finished tracks - most peeps i teach find this a major stumbling block and waste of time... It's pretty much all about conviction and self faith + a dash of experience etc...

I never walk away, i always 'peel away' parts at the end to create a nice deparature for a peice and if it's 'dance music' i just do what a DJ would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the problem with me is I can put down the drums, come up with basslines, add the melody, thats when I fall down, I come up with so many ideas, that I start one track and by the end of the evening, I might have maybe 10 different unfinished tracks, the next evening, I power the kit up and start again, only I end up with even more unfinished tracks.

Its like I start something and half way through, I come across an awesome sound on the Virus TI that doesnt fit in with the current track I would be working on, then think... "f**K, that would sound cool with this drum line & that bassline" and then another track starts to be recorded!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I think its a problem almost everyone faces at some point, especially those who work alone. Most people seem to get through it though, not that I have, yet.

My problem is that I have rather eclectc taste and I'm not obsessed with any style. While some would see this as a good thing, I find it becomes a distraction and finding my own style has been a slow process (Im only half way there)

If I were obsessed with one genre such as dnb or trip-hop, I reckon I would finish way more tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

the problem with me is I can put down the drums, come up with basslines, add the melody, thats when I fall down, I come up with so many ideas, that I start one track and by the end of the evening, I might have maybe 10 different unfinished tracks, the next evening, I power the kit up and start again, only I end up with even more unfinished tracks.

Its like I start something and half way through, I come across an awesome sound on the Virus TI that doesnt fit in with the current track I would be working on, then think... "f**K, that would sound cool with this drum line & that bassline" and then another track starts to be recorded!!
    just save the preset in the synth and move on.
    honestly you just have to have the will power to sit down and finish.saying youve got 100s of unfinished tracks is worthless.having 1 completed track is far better than 100 unfinished ones.
    by creating all these little unfinished projects your not learning anything new,your becoming stagnant.
    i never really understand this.if i have a good track going im mad to get it finished so i can hear it or even play it out or give it to people.
    i dont buy the "im so creative,ive got so many ideas" excuse for not finishing stuff.
    but hey thats me

• Advertisement

Delete them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

ICN wrote: »
    Delete them..

any reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

seannash wrote: »
    1 completed track is far better than 100 unfinished ones.

True indeed

any reason??

Any Fruity loops? Groan! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

for home recording to produce results , here is my plan ,
    which I only started in the last few weeks due to this very problem of not finishing stuff.

I think sticking to a plan like this with discipline is best - even if you are a fouintain of ideas.

( my main problem is i keep upgrading my gear
    so have to re record everything ! - so try to have a studio that works and your happy with in the main )

1/ carry an mp3 recorder and sing in ideas , or play ideas in to a template daw track .
    2/ transfer the ideas to the DAW
    3/ decide which part the ideas should play ( drum beat, bass line, guitar riff , melody , piano )
    4/ record the parts to a click
    5/ quick / scratch record fillin backing like drums , bass , keys , guitar to flesh it out
    6/ quick mix to hear it then save it
    7/ walk away for a week then relisten - ( dont do this drunk ot stoned ! )
    8/ relisten to it and decide - does it sound good ? is it catchy, is it a rip off of something else

be super critical at this stage - dont let ego get involved .

if it passes - then work on it til its finished , including writing lyrics etc .

if not file it away in an archive and be ruthless about it .

Finishing :
    only have 1 song per week / or two weeks to work on at any one time .
    once you get a mix you like export it and put it on yer ipod / play in car
    go back and tweak probelms - or change any parts / new parts you want to add.
    finsh it and export it .

if you think it has real potential - bring the project / files to a pro studio and record at least the drums
    in a great room with great mics and outboard.

move on to next track.

• Advertisement

good enough post above but i really dont see why people need these tips and advice.just sit down and do it.:D

are you for real ?

DaDumTish wrote: »
    are you for real ?
    yeah,why?

isnt the whole point of the forum to comment / help out and assist / learn ?

yes but sometimes a good kick up the backside is helpful too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

seannash wrote: »
    yes but sometimes a good kick up the backside is helpful too.:D

He's not wrong!:pac:

ok seannash .... you win this round ....

DaDumTish wrote: »
    ok seannash .... you win this round ....
    :D you make it sound like therell be more rounds up for grabs.
    i did say your advice was good also.

Advertisement