Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pies

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I am looking for somewhere nice in Dublin that does pies, not like cottege pie but pies like chicken and bacon in puff pastry! My bf loves pies and want to take him somewhere nice but not too expensive. Someone mentioned Delish on Wicklow st to me at some stage but whenever we pass it is clossed and we have scoured the city to find somewhere else but to no avail!

Help! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There is a place in the Epicurean that sells pies. Never had one though - it's fairly new in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

The Epicurian Food Center has a stall called Pie that does pies. I read some really good reviews of them in the Sunday food sections, but when I tried them myself, I wasnt blown away. I was really dissappointed as I thought I was about to enter pie heavan. :( I had the lamb and rosemary one. Alot of pastry - well baked have to say - but filling was so mean and ugly it ruined it for me.

But....they are cheap and its a good place to hang out and have the craic. Not romantic though! (unless in retrospect maybe).

What about making one yourself? Its alot easier than you might think and if you make the pastry and filling the day before, you only have to put it togeather on the day. If you want to cheat a little, I know someone who fake bakes for alot of people. She makes the <insert food required here> and you pick it up and pass it off as your own. Ive used her loads of times when Ive been short on time. I can pm you here details if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Jaesus! I forgot - The South William does savage pies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

olaola wrote: »
    savage pies!

Never had one of those, what are the ingredients ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Fantastic!!! Will have to check out the South William some evening this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The pies in the Epicurean didn't look too appetising. Didn't know there's a pie shop in William Street South and I walk by that a lot. Delish also didn't look that nice.

There is a fantastic pie stand in the meeting house square saturday market near the IFI. The pies actually comes from a shop called Garlic Kitchen on Francis Street near St. Patrick's Cathedral. They are by far the best pies I've had in Dublin. Try the market if you don't want to go all the way down to Francis Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Garlic Kitchen

I think that might be called the Gallic Kitchen. They had a stall at the docklands festival and my friend got a chicken tikka or something like that pie. It was lovely but a bit pricey for a pie.

WindSock wrote: »
    I think that might be called the Gallic Kitchen. They had a stall at the docklands festival and my friend got a chicken tikka or something like that pie. It was lovely but a bit pricey for a pie.
    Yeah that's them, I keep on thinking it says Garlic :p I think their prices went up recently.

Tried the pies in the epicurian food hall today and have to say I was not impressed at all. It seemed really overcooked and dried out. I had the chicken and bacon pie and there was more mushroom in the pie than anything else - not good for a girl who does not like mushrooms! The mash was good though but left very disappointed.

I will have to try the gallic kitchen, I live really near Francis street and would be so so handy for me. Where about on Francis street is it does anybody know? Also going to look how to make then - my cooking gotta taste better than what I had in the epicurian :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Theres a Pie restaurant on wicklow street and there a pub that specalises in pies up near the sex shops on that street at the back of the powerscourt centre.

Pies rock and if I can recommend its all about the Pie & Shake. You got to wash down that Pie with a shake.

• Advertisement

sillymoo wrote: »
    I will have to try the gallic kitchen, I live really near Francis street and would be so so handy for me. Where about on Francis street is it does anybody know? Also going to look how to make then - my cooking gotta taste better than what I had in the epicurian :(
    It's in the middle of Francis Street on the right hand side if you are going from Cork St towards Thomas St. It's a small little cafe type shop and easy to miss. They're only open 9-5pm i think though.

Working from home tomorrow so Gallic kitchen might get a try for a spot o' lunch. Not sure about the pie and shake idea, last shake I had was when I was about 5 and it did not go down very well after a spin on the teacups at the local fairground so they have not been too popular with me since......

Keep the pie recomendations coming! Also if somebody has a nice recipe for a pie id be glad to try it out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 silverdawn

The gallic Kitchen has ceased trading on francis st earlier this year and the staff were treated very badly by the owner sarah webb, call them in one day and said they had no jobs...all had worked for her for 10 years +,they didnt get paid there wages or get pay in lieu of notice .... the manager underhandly bought the business and changed the name.......How discusting is that.....!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Apparently disgusting enough to bump an ancient thread to complain about it!

Don't do that again, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement