Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or was Dublin a disaster zone?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I am finding it hard to find any threads on what was going on in Dublin tonight. Complete traffic standstills, rivers bursting, cars breaking down and some burning out (4 fire engines passed and 1 tow trucks with a burnt car). Saw a car going up in smokes myself from the revving after driving through a flood.

My car broke down twice, couldn't find a way home.

Was meant to do 45 minute drive to Drogheda, ended up 5 hours stuck in Smithfield/Cabra/Castleknock area. My 2 attempts to get to Chapelizod ended with my car breaking down (road was a river in itself). Never made it to Drogheda, really ****ed off. Also my own back garden has flooded.

Saw few car crashes too and Hard shoulders opened as lanes.

Is this normal? Im not experienced with dublin driving.

Avoid following roads:
    Blackhorse Avenue.
    M50.
    Blanch Bypass.
    River Road, Finglas.
    Roads around Fort Lucan.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*points and laughs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

moved from after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

No, this is NOT normal. DART's were also cancelled. My 30 min train journey from Lansdowne took about 2 hours to get to Portmarnock. No buses were appearing, so got a taxi in the end. There are threads in Photography, and Dublin North County, and probably a few others in other districts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It happened in 2000 and 2002 so yeah, the authorities have experience of this type of thing before even in some of the same areas which keep getting affected.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Jesus, I remember the flooding in 2002 (it was in September or October I think). I was doing a 10k walk for Chernobyl or something in the middle of it! The whole area around Phoenix Park was flooded... there was water coming in the doors of the bus on the way back into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Zilch

Wouldn't be normal cos thankfully we don't normally get the rain to the extent that we saw on Sat. nite. It was crazy and I think the last time I remember cars and people getting stranded like that was around 1999. However, Knockmaroon Hill was closed and so was the road around the Garda station at the Zoo in the Phoenix park, so more traffic has been pushed onto alternative roads all Summer :mad:. Aside from getting rain like this, when any major accident happens in Dublin - M50 or otherwise - the system isn't able to cope and there is complete and utter chaos. The emergency services in place just don't seem to be able to cope. I did not come across 1 garda out on the road trying to help things move in a 3 hour/3 mile journey on Sat. evening. But then that just might be my luck.:rolleyes:

Advertisement