Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decking

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi
    Im hoping to start decking soon
    Its 30' long by 10' wide.
    I have gravel on the area as i had large shed there.
    Im hopeless at DIY and just wanted to know how much of the decking support i need and what size timber for the framework.
    Do i need to support the framework onto the ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

in all honesty, decking is not for the faint hearted as everthing had be level and secured.
    If you are useless ar DIY, maybe you should have second thoughts.
    IF you need to support the base, use some post-fix concrete mix (if the run-off angle is bad) and pressure treated wood throughout. Re-treat especially the posts in concrete.

This should help and give some ideas to the job in hand. There is a pdf "how to" as well

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/garden-build/decking/index.html
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/advice-centre/1021-1114-1435/decking!-how-to-do-it-yourself.asp

So if you decking is 30' (9.1m x 3m). You will need to use either 2.4 or 3.6m Meter lenghts

Based on a ~420mm distance between joists and deck boards as follows:
    2x3.6m and 1x2.4m lenghts.

Decking Length (meters) 9.1
    Decking Width (meters) 3
    Decking Area (sq m) 28.21
    Decking board Length (m) 197.47
    100mm x 47mm Joist at 450mm Centre (m) 98.74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Thanks a million Batman2000.
    Your info is great.
    I'l be getting a friend of mine who knows a bit about building.
    As for all the sizes of timber you gave me on the post thanks agaian for that.
    I will post up any future progress of my decking in due coarse.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Where in the country are you??? I could give you a competitive quote

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its fairly ok to do your own deck. I did my own there over the last 3 weeks. I have pics and some detail in my blog in my link.
    Have a look if you the time and ask any questions you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

yop wrote: »
    Its fairly ok to do your own deck. I did my own there over the last 3 weeks. I have pics and some detail in my blog in my link.
    Have a look if you the time and ask any questions you want.
    i just saw your blog and what a great job you did on the decking and lights as well.
    Im very impressed with your work.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers, its gas what patience and good tools can do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

rather than all that work with posts etc, I use light RSJ's supported on concrete blocks on the gravel. for the rols royce clients I get them galvoed, otherwise hammerrite (sic)

I make the frame up from pressure treated 4*2 in sections, maybe 12' by 12' c/w noggins etc and then just sit on the rsj's.

the decking gets laid[screwed] on the frame and it is all so heavy that one or two fixes to the rsj's does the trick.

needless to say this works only on fairly level sites

Advertisement