Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostly hauntings?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Anyone got ghostly experiences from around Galway city? I remember as a kid Gerry Ryan talking to someone with a Poltergeist in their house, im pretty sure it was in Newcastle but can anyone confirm it?

Theres talk of haunted houses near the Golf Course in Salthill and on the Old coast Road in oranmore,
    Barna woods.... said to have the cry of a woman from years ago who died on the road to galway.. dont know the truth of this story.
    can anyone relate the stories as to why these are haunted? and also any newer haunted areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Anyone got ghostly experiences from around Galway city? I remember as a kid Gerry Ryan talking to someone with a Poltergeist in their house, im pretty sure it was in Newcastle but can anyone confirm it?

Theres talk of haunted houses near the Golf Course in Salthill and on the Old coast Road in oranmore,
    Barna woods.... said to have the cry of a woman from years ago who died on the road to galway.. dont know the truth of this story.
    can anyone relate the stories as to why these are haunted? and also any newer haunted areas.
    think that was the house out in corrib park, was in papers recently again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

what was the story on it this time?

what was the story on it this time?
    think same family are still there, no sure what it was about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There was a well documented alleged poltergeist in Corrib Park about 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more, I memory serves me right. I'm nearly sure that there was a mass held there by a priest to rid the house of it's visitor.

When I was growing up the big house across from the Huntsman (on the corner beside the roundabout) was alway talked about as being 'definitely' haunted. The old house, since knocked, did look pretty creepy. The big rumor around the playground was that the old house was knocked because it was haunted. There was then a story that when the new house was built (it was a B&B) a guest was staying there when the ghosts started messing with him, screaming etc, as ghosts do, and the guest ran out of the house in a panic tried to jump the wall, missed, and broke a leg or an arm. I love remembering the stories that used to circulate around the playground! I drive past that house pretty regular and it looks like it's empty, anyone know what's going on with it?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    There was a well documented alleged poltergeist in Corrib Park about 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more, I memory serves me right. I'm nearly sure that there was a mass held there by a priest to rid the house of it's visitor.

When I was growing up the big house across from the Huntsman (on the corner beside the roundabout) was alway talked about as being 'definitely' haunted. The old house, since knocked, did look pretty creepy. The big rumor around the playground was that the old house was knocked because it was haunted. There was then a story that when the new house was built (it was a B&B) a guest was staying there when the ghosts started messing with him, screaming etc, as ghosts do, and the guest ran out of the house in a panic tried to jump the wall, missed, and broke a leg or an arm. I love remembering the stories that used to circulate around the playground! I drive past that house pretty regular and it looks like it's empty, anyone know what's going on with it?
    lived in welllpark a few yrs ago and used to drive past that regulary,thought an old couple lived there.
    saw door open a few weeks ago, looks v old inside

• Advertisement

Thanks Ronnie,

heard that too about the B& B at the Huntsman roundabout, urban legends i wonder.
    I heard that one of the houses on the left as you pass salthill golf club the last one, had a stone used in the mantle piece that was marking a place where a girl fell of a horse and died inside the wall there years previous and that when the house was being finished mixers used to turn on and tools would be scattered in the mornings.
    i pass it alot and never see life in there, maybe is someones summer home that they dont use because the weathers too bad but there must be reason why the house always looks vacant, even looks spooky

house on the old oranmore coast road has all its windows bricked up and its creepy out to pass,any info on this one?

The one by the Huntsman is a strange one. I'd often walk by it to and from work and I've never once seen it without its "no reservation" sign, despite the absence of any cars, or life as such.

Anyone remember the supposed Haunted House where the Galway Bay Hotel is now?

The one by the Huntsman is a strange one. I'd often walk by it to and from work and I've never once seen it without its "no reservation" sign, despite the absence of any cars, or life as such.

Anyone remember the supposed Haunted House where the Galway Bay Hotel is now?

cant picture it clearly, was it the white bungalow? what was the story on that one?

cant picture it clearly, was it the white bungalow? what was the story on that one?

I think it was a two storey bricked house. Don't know the story exactly but years ago my brother and mam were driving passed it when they saw a candle flicker in one of the windows. They relocated the whole house somewhere else AFAIK.

I think it was a two storey bricked house. Don't know the story exactly but years ago my brother and mam were driving passed it when they saw a candle flicker in one of the windows. They relocated the whole house somewhere else AFAIK.
    seriously ?????

• Advertisement

ill have to dig deeper on that one, certain hotel in furbo said to have few hauntings i think, used to do alot of work there and some of the rooms would really give you the creeps, it was a soup kitchen during the famine, is there a collection of hauntings from around galway i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Yes the Newcastle house had many sightings and movements which were documented at that time - this was constantly reported in the local press - when people talk about the huntsman you mean the old white house across from it? - does anyone know how this was deemed to be haunted??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Re Oranmore haunted house, heard at one stage that it was built over an underground stream, which meant odd noises were heard at night. My school playground was out that direction and 1 girl had a few stories about it, but they could easily have been rehashed bits from a 1970s horror flick. Thought the underground stream had a bit of credibility to it, tho

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

when people talk about the huntsman you mean the old white house across from it? - does anyone know how this was deemed to be haunted??
    One would imagine it has something to do with developing commercial units so close to the roundabout...or the paranormal.

Chose your respective horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Can't remember the name of the housing estate but it's up past shantalla, going past old seamus quirke road on your right and then take the next left (before you get to westside/newcastle road). Anyway...

(posted this a few years back in paranomal board..so some things have changed, so i've done a quick edit, but most of it is in the present tense, apologies i.e. the girl isn't my girlfriend anymore, etc etc, but the kernal of the story still holds true!)

Well my (ex) girlfriend rent a house for college, and moved into a 6 bedroom house with 5 more female friends of hers (it's amazing for a student house, has a sauna, two lounges, massive kitchen) This house is quite close to my house, so naturally I frequented between the two.
    Anyway the first night they spent in the house they all noticed a clearly formed cloud hovering over one of the girls beds. My ex then used her high definition mobile phone to record a video of the cloud over the bed. So from day one they noticed very very strange things happening in house..
    My ex had mentioned that she had seen a couple of strange shapes around the house as well, but never in much detail until yesterday on the bus home. She said that while looking in the mirror yesterday morning she saw a glimpse of a figure. The same figure she then admitted to seeing atleast once or twice a week since they moved into the house; well built man, all dressed in white with a black thing around his neck (not a collar or shirt, just a black thing, she isn't sure what it is). She then mentioned this to one of her housemates, and that housemate also admitted to catching the exact same figure in the corner of her eye a number of times also.
    Now here is the part that gets confusing, NONE of the girls will talk about the cloud they saw on the first night, they are in complete denial about it - to the point where they deleted the video. In fact, 3 out of the 5 housemates do not know about the other two seeing the same figure around the house. My exgirlfriend won't even talk to the other girl who saw the figure about it anymore, for fear that she'll get upset since she sleeps on the bottom floor on her own.

Other weird crap has happened: like my ex was in bed one night, everyone else was out, and she could hear footsteps going from one side of the attic to the other, back and forth over and over again.

One of the girls was down in the kitchen pulling down the blinds, and she saw another guy looking straight in at her - cue: scream of terror from girl.

The house itself is in that housing estate, it's number 1. [whatever the housing estate is]. They moved out after the year at college, but a family moved into it subsequently.

- actually walked up to see it one day this year, hadn't seen the place in a few years - still people living in it. Just remembered another story: we were getting a taxi home one evening after the bus up, and the taxi man asked us where we lived: we told him the address, and he was "I suppose ye know then.."... and started laughing.. When we questioned him, he didn't say anything more, but just laughed. I wouldn't be especially superstitious, but the whole scenerio scared the crap out of me to be honest!

when people talk about the huntsman you mean the old white house across from it? - does anyone know how this was deemed to be haunted??

Yea that's the one. I think that the original house was old and derelict (and haunted) for years and was bought by someone who either knocked and rebuilt the house or just totally refurbished it, I can't remember. This house was then opened as a B&B but it didn't last too long due to the ghostly happenings...or so the story goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

minxie1 wrote: »
    think that was the house out in corrib park, was in papers recently again
    Not to worry, the spook has probably been robbed by now.

Actually one of the abiding stories that sticks with me from the time I spent travelling the Philippines, was the persistent superstition they had about trees, especially old trees, either trapping the spirits of those who died near them or bringing up nasty things from deep underground, I never exactly got the right of it. They had a little chant you had to say to make yourself invisible to these things. Lovely people, the Filipinos, but terribly credulous.

Still, despite myself, I'd pause before going into a dark wood at night, although that might have more to do with the fear of braining myself on a low hanging branch than the concern that devilish spirits were going to hop out...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Yea that's the one. I think that the original house was old and derelict (and haunted) for years and was bought by someone who either knocked and rebuilt the house or just totally refurbished it, I can't remember. This house was then opened as a B&B but it didn't last too long due to the ghostly happenings...or so the story goes.

Dont think the house was knocked, just think the new owners invested a lot in refurbishment. Its actually quite a grand house, slightly raised on a hill overlooking the roundabout. Thought it would have done well as a B&B due to the location as well.

There's another derelict house nearby now, behind the big advertising billboard also at the roundabout.

Not to worry, the spook has probably been robbed by now.

:D:D

Yeah I think that's right. It wasn't knocked down, just done up on the inside. Apparently on one day builders ran screaming from the house.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think that's right. It wasn't knocked down, just done up on the inside. Apparently on one day builders ran screaming from the house.
    any idea why they ran??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

"Gerry Ryan"
    "Theres talk"
    "said to have"
    "alleged"
    "I'm nearly sure"
    "rumor"
    "or so the story goes"

:D
    Seriously though if any of you guys fancy a palm reading il do it, €50 each, how does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Ghosts don't exist.
    Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

DRakE wrote: »
    Ghosts don't exist.
    Case closed.

maybe someone should tell this crowd that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=446

I would, but for fear they'd hex me!

That's right it was done up a few years ago. Heard of a few people running screaming from there too, don't have any details though.

Was speaking to a friend of mine who is an archaeologist with a good knowledge of Galway and it's local history. She said that Woodlawn House in Woodlawn is regarded as being haunted. I googled it and came across this blog http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2006/09/woodlawn-house-most-haunted-house-in.html it's probably a load of sh1te but the house looks spooky anyway!

She was also saying that there are loads of urban legends around Yeats country and north Co Galway that the ghost of W.B. Yeats is haunting several houses. Probably all the Leaving Cert students bad mouthing his poetry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My dad worked with the guy whos house was haunted in Corrib Park during the time all the stuff was happening. It definetly wasn't fake, i saw the effect it had on the family at the time. The parish priest still denys ever saying a mass in the house, the tv show ' A Haunting' which is on Discovery covered it also. The irish acents were so funny, 'arra bee garra there do be a ghost im me house' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The irish acents were so funny, 'arra bee garra there do be a ghost im me house' :)
    Or the father with the Galway accent and the son with the Northern accent, hai. Shome mishtake shurely?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

There's another derelict house nearby now, behind the big advertising billboard also at the roundabout.

Theres an elderly couple living in that house for as long as i can remember.

I know the guys who did the roofing on that building at the rounabout. They knew about the stories from when the house was abandoned but when there seen nothing and heard nothing from any of the others working on the building.

When I was growing up the big house across from the Huntsman (on the corner beside the roundabout) was alway talked about as being 'definitely' haunted. The old house, since knocked, did look pretty creepy.
    I remember hearing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

That huntsman house, someone told me a few years ago that one of the potential buyers spread that rumour to drive down the price of the house. Not that believable, but then neither is a haunted house!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement