Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostly hauntings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

grasshopa wrote: »
    That huntsman house, someone told me a few years ago that one of the potential buyers spread that rumour to drive down the price of the house.

In that case the entire Irish property market must be haunted:p

minxie1 wrote: »
    any idea why they ran??
    My father told me a story once.
    Do ye know the semi-d house with the flat roof just at the tuam road roundabout? (before Monaghans garage)

Back in the 60s/70s my dad was on a demolition crew. There was a row of similar houses there that were all due to be demolished.

Anyway coming up to Friday evening this was the last building left to be knocked. Some of the lads knew that if they started the job they would have to finish it and they wanted to go to the pub instead.

So they said it was haunted and refused to go near it. They went to the pub instead.

I reckon some similar reason is why the builders ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

ok the b&B opposite the huntsman seems to be the most popular any stories or info on the others mentioned??

boarded up house on old coast road to oranmore?

connemara coast hotel

house at the golflings in salthill?

any others of note?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

ok the b&B opposite the huntsman seems to be the most popular any stories or info on the others mentioned??

Apparently thats a load of BS people just said it was "haunted" because it was run down/old

Never heard of it
    connemara coast hotel

Never heard of any paranormal activity out there

Never heard of it

Now the house in Corrib Park was definately haunted it was also featured on a TV programme hosted by Michael Aspel called "Strange But True?", I passed by there one day with a mate and we both witnessed what looked like a doll move from the left of the window to the right.

Steyr wrote: »
    Now the house in Corrib Park was definately haunted it was also featured on a TV programme hosted by Michael Aspel called "Strange But True?", I passed by there one day with a mate and we both witnessed what looked like a doll move from the left of the window to the right.

Keith Finnegan was talking about it too, so it must be true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

connemara coast hotel

any others of note?

Heard of the first two, there seems to be alot of boarded up houses close to the billboard at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

hada wrote: »
    Can't remember the name of the housing estate but it's up past shantalla, going past old seamus quirke road on your right and then take the next left (before you get to westside/newcastle road). Anyway...

(posted this a few years back in paranomal board..so some things have changed, so i've done a quick edit, but most of it is in the present tense, apologies i.e. the girl isn't my girlfriend anymore, etc etc, but the kernal of the story still holds true!)

Well my (ex) girlfriend rent a house for college, and moved into a 6 bedroom house with 5 more female friends of hers (it's amazing for a student house, has a sauna, two lounges, massive kitchen) This house is quite close to my house, so naturally I frequented between the two.
    Anyway the first night they spent in the house they all noticed a clearly formed cloud hovering over one of the girls beds. My ex then used her high definition mobile phone to record a video of the cloud over the bed. So from day one they noticed very very strange things happening in house..
    My ex had mentioned that she had seen a couple of strange shapes around the house as well, but never in much detail until yesterday on the bus home. She said that while looking in the mirror yesterday morning she saw a glimpse of a figure. The same figure she then admitted to seeing atleast once or twice a week since they moved into the house; well built man, all dressed in white with a black thing around his neck (not a collar or shirt, just a black thing, she isn't sure what it is). She then mentioned this to one of her housemates, and that housemate also admitted to catching the exact same figure in the corner of her eye a number of times also.
    Now here is the part that gets confusing, NONE of the girls will talk about the cloud they saw on the first night, they are in complete denial about it - to the point where they deleted the video. In fact, 3 out of the 5 housemates do not know about the other two seeing the same figure around the house. My exgirlfriend won't even talk to the other girl who saw the figure about it anymore, for fear that she'll get upset since she sleeps on the bottom floor on her own.

Other weird crap has happened: like my ex was in bed one night, everyone else was out, and she could hear footsteps going from one side of the attic to the other, back and forth over and over again.

One of the girls was down in the kitchen pulling down the blinds, and she saw another guy looking straight in at her - cue: scream of terror from girl.

The house itself is in that housing estate, it's number 1. [whatever the housing estate is]. They moved out after the year at college, but a family moved into it subsequently.

- actually walked up to see it one day this year, hadn't seen the place in a few years - still people living in it. Just remembered another story: we were getting a taxi home one evening after the bus up, and the taxi man asked us where we lived: we told him the address, and he was "I suppose ye know then.."... and started laughing.. When we questioned him, he didn't say anything more, but just laughed. I wouldn't be especially superstitious, but the whole scenerio scared the crap out of me to be honest!

The weirdest part of this is a "high definition mobile phone" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

toiletduck wrote: »
    The weirdest part of this is a "high definition mobile phone" :pac:

Ok this was a few years ago when I wrote this and obviously was in a frenzy!... jeeeze :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Ok this was a few years ago when I wrote this and obviously was in a frenzy!... jeeeze :rolleyes:

1080p ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Heard of the first two, there seems to be alot of boarded up houses close to the billboard at the roundabout.

Ya at least 4 of them, what an eyesore they should be knocked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I take it none of you remember the haunted house in Castle Park. Twas probably the early 90's when it made alot of the local headlines particularly the Advertiser iirc. They had recording equipment set up in the house, I was in it one night with the son who was in the same year as me in primary school. Didn't experience anything dodgy although all the wiring and the old fashions tape recorders were a strange sight !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nitemare_kiwi

Hi, I worked at the Connemara Coast Hotel Furbo, for 2 years as Night Manager.
    I did experience some unexplained activity in the early hours of the morning and
    as did some of my staff, around the hotel.

The locals told me that the Coach used to stop at the back of the original house, which is now the bar area, and a lady in grey clothing was hit and killed, I have seen this lady
    twice in the Teach Furbo bar area, she was friendly and had a habit of taking the picture, in the mezzanine of the Cocktail Bar, off the wall, and moving the furniture.
    A colleague and I, heard children laughing and running upstairs, in the Furbo room (has wooden creaky floors).

A phone in the 100s, used to ring, in early hours when that wing was closed over the winter, when only 3 other rooms occupied in the whole hotel., even when the hotel could be totally empty, only us staff in house, we would have to go into the room and take it off the hook, but when those rooms were occupied, no troubles at all.

It was the creepiest wing in the whole hotel, and the wind used to howl down there, like the Banshee, lets just say, there was a high turnover in nightstaff, and was very frightening on a stormy nite, a window left open in a room, so you would have to find out which room and go in and close it, bloody fast, we never went down there alone.

There is also a room in the same wing, we used to call the Coffin, as the interior was draped in heavy pleated fabric, you work it out, we call the wing the Morgue, it was the oldest part of the Accommodation.

But I have to say the worst thing, was a big thunderstorm back in 2003, and all the lights went out, oh my god, total darkness, that when the mind runs away.....then
    we have to go outside, around the back of the hotel, to kickstart the generator,
    more than once. But there was nothing evil or malicious about any presence, I have heard old Irish stories, about children that passed on before their time, are left hanging around, we never heard the children again. Its just the unexplained !

cheers kiwi,
    great to get an insight from first hand experiences, indeed i know the room you refer to as the coffin room as i used to do some work around the hotel, used to give me the creeps. even the laundry did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can't remember the name of the housing estate but it's up past shantalla, going past old seamus quirke road on your right and then take the next left (before you get to westside/newcastle road).

Any idea what the name of this estate is? Is it Highfield Park?
    Or am I way off there?

Hi, I worked at the Connemara Coast Hotel Furbo, for 2 years as Night Manager.
    !

That place has always given me the creeps since I was at a birthday party of a neighbour there years ago - around 15 years ago. We were in the bar area with other guests of the hotel during the start of the evening and an eldery man who was staying there was quiet upset and telling people he had seen strange things there ...some shadow or figure he could not explain in a room or hallway. Everyone presumed he was ramping things up to frighten the children (which he suceeded at...I was completely freaked out:) ) . Later on in the night however he was coming back from his bedroom to the bar when he thought he saw something again and got such a fright that he ran through an indoor glass door trying to escape it. I remember the sound of shattering glass and a big commotion. An ambulance arrived quickly and took him away and all the children were sent home so we heard nothing more than that "he wasn't well". I'd never heard any ghost stories about the hotel and always presumed that the man in question was just a bit strange but reading this does cast a spookier light on things! Always presumed that the fact the place always had an eerie feel to me was because it had all been quite an upsetting experience at the time.

I don't believe in ghosts myself but sometimes it does seem a pity to let the truth and rational thought get in the way of a good story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

chilly wrote: »
    Any idea what the name of this estate is? Is it Highfield Park?
    Or am I way off there?

yep that is exactly the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

heres a good one for ya. The three storie houses you see on abbey gate street in galway.... the one that (still has or had) couch potatoes the resturant is situated in is hauted. The reason i know this is because my Grandmother used to own it. She and my grand father ran a little newsagent from it. Basically there used to be a sound of wemon wailing like they were at a wake, when my grandmother told them to "be quite" a stone flew across the room and hit her on the forhead. There were no stones in the room before nor was the window open. My little brother when he was about 4 years old was sitting in the downstairs room with myself, my mother and my grandmother. He turned around out of the blue and asked my mother if he could go play with the man. Of course there was no one there, my grandmother ask "what man". He said the one sitting in the corner with the gun. Apperntly my Grandmother found out that years before a previous owner had shot himself in that room. Also there was always one room they couldnt heat up on the second floor. No matter how hard they tried, even putting an electric heater in did nothing. They always kept it locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

connemara coast hotel

any others of note?

There is an old house behide the hurdy gurdies next to leisureland which is ment to be haunted. I dont know if its been knocked down but the previous owner was ment to have hanged themselves from the top of the stairs.

Ya and i pass the haunted house on the oranmore old coast road. Its just a shell of a building now, i dont know the story behind it.

excellent lostinappies,
    these are the kinda stories im intersted in,its cool to think too that on one of our busiest streets, theres accounts of hauntings. cheers for that.
    any more out there?

By any chance do you work for the Galway First?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    By any chance do you work for the Galway First?

Or perhaps Quiet is a stalking horse for a resurrected Observer;)

nahh by no chance do i work for anyone, love the auld ghost stories and spook tales of ireland and would just like to know more of the ones from this area, makes it feel all the more fun to experience these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Did anyone ever go out to look at Woodlawn House?

Was looking at normal Architectural (sp?) pictures yesterday, didn't have a haunted 'feel' to it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Did anyone ever go out to look at Woodlawn House?

Was looking at normal Architectural (sp?) pictures yesterday, didn't have a haunted 'feel' to it at all
    have you a link to pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Which is the Corrib Park house?

Is that the ruined house near the Quincentenial bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

minxie1 wrote: »
    have you a link to pics

Sorry I just googled and came accross some Irish Architecht forum, and there was a link in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Which is the Corrib Park house?

Is that the ruined house near the Quincentenial bridge?

No, Corrib Park is a housing estate off the roundabout at the back of the hospital.

Apologies about drifting the thread a bit but this is more of an urban legend rather than a tale of the paranormal. Does anyone remember the 'Knocknacara stalker'? When I was in first or second year of secondary school there was always talk about people being followed by the 'Knocknacara stalker'. I don't remember anyone ever being attacked. Maybe it's not a an urban legend and he was actually real but I never heard a conclusion to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

On the House overlooking the Huntsman; i know someone who stayed there while in college (back in the early 70s i think). He says it's haunted, although I've never heard him go into much detail on the place. but the stories about that place go way back, don't think it could ever have been due to a 'buyer' (although that's not to say someone didn't try to use it to their advantage).

on the Knocknacarra stalker; i've lived there for over 10 years and this is the first I've heard of it.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Apologies about drifting the thread a bit but this is more of an urban legend rather than a tale of the paranormal. Does anyone remember the 'Knocknacara stalker'? When I was in first or second year of secondary school there was always talk about people being followed by the 'Knocknacara stalker'. I don't remember anyone ever being attacked. Maybe it's not a an urban legend and he was actually real but I never heard a conclusion to this story.

I remember that. I think. Was it 10ish years ago?
    A girl from the school I went to was attacked in Knocknacarra during that time after a short period of feeling she had been followed. As far as I know they caught the attacker after she went to the guards and that was the end of the rumours of a stalker. I don't know much about it except that she was very shaken after it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement