Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big hopes.... small budget

Options
  • 10-08-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a relatively old Pc (built 2 years ago) with the following spec (gotta love kompletts history):

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz Socket 939,

Asus A8N-SLI, nForce4 SLI,Socket-939

Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 5ns X 2 (2gbs in total)

I want to get as much performance out of this machine with spending as little money as possible!!! It'll be mostly for gaming, probably running xp , but i might throw vista on it for the larf

Heres what i was thinking, but i'm very open to suggestions:

My graphics card is currently a 2400HD or something crap like that so that definitely needs replacement. Was thinking maybe a 4850 so if i do decide to invest in a new pc later I can hold onto it. (I have a 22" monitor BTW)

I was thinking of trying to overclock the CPU (never done it before, so i said i'd give it a whirl) Some one has the same setup as mobo and processor as me here so that should help. It seems like i might be able to squeeze 2.9GHz out of it.

Ram I'm not sure... i could pick up another 2gb for €50 but will it really make that much of a difference if i stick with xp? Basically what im asking is will 2gb of ram be the bottle neck?

Power supply: I'll have to get back to you on the make and model. I know its a 520W but what im wondering is seeing as its 2 years old is going to be missign any connectors that it needs to power the graphics card?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

Advertisement