Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RECOMMENDED SCI-FI BOOKS

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I've recently taken an interest in sci-fi as a genre and would love to know of some classic books in this category. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Try "The Nights' Dawn" Trilogoy by Peter F.Hamiliton. It is probably too new to be considered classic sci-fi right now. Great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

From Asimov
    First read the foundation trilogy ( do not read foundation and Earth yet )
    Then read the robot series : The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire

Finaly read Foundation and Earth

I'm actualy envious, for an example of his work read this short story .. the last question

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

dune, fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Who wrote Dune?Thanks for the recommendation

thanks for that short story, I was glad it was so philosophical. I have always ignored sci-fi thinking that it was only about imaginary spaces but now I see that it actually asks some of the big questions that I find myself wondering about from time to time!! The whole idea of machines and humans, pre-destination and free-will, darkness and light... I have to read this story again to really appreciate it but I felt that I should say thank you first for sharing it with me!!!I certainly will check out your other recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Asimov's short story's are (imo) superior in some ways to his novels. The collections of his short stories are great because they have an introduction by him to each of the stories, which tells you what else was going on in his life at the same time.

Grass by Sherri S Tepper, is an excellent sci-fi novel. Really good characters and a well developed world/universe.

I think pretty much anything by Peter F Hamilton is great, as are the culture novels by Iain M Banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Pretty much all of these are worth reading,
    http://www.sfsite.com/lists/orion01.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

From the list mcgorvan's linked to the one's I'd recommend are:
    Bring the Jubilee, Cities in Flight & I Am Legend (very different to the recent film adaptation).

Outside that, if you like the 'big question' stuff I'd recommend almost anything by Stephen Baxter. It particular the Manifold Triology:
    Time
    Space
    Origin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A few of my sci-fi favs would be:

Childhood's End - Arthur C Clarke
    Contact - Carl Sagan
    The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

Great list, go raibh mile maith agat![/I][/I]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

Read the Culture novels by Iain M Banks,they all blew me away(and the rest of his Sci Fi)
    The Ringworld Series by Larry Niven are rightly considered to be Classics,
    read Starship Troopers(NOT like the movie!),Friday,Citizen of the Galaxy and lots more by Robert Heinlein,
    The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson are also some of the best books I have ever read...
    I've got more if you want more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Is Day of the Triffids Sci-fi?
    Read it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

síofra wrote: »

Frank Herbert wrote it.

Has anyone mentioned Philip K Dick yet?

Also Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

síofra wrote: »
    Frank Herbert won a Nebula Award for this first Dune work. I tried reading the Dune series that followed the original work and didn't like it. Oh, I know it to be cliche' but the Dune book was superior to the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I seem to plug this book a lot on boards but Dan Simmons Hyperion is fantastic. Plenty of good recs in this thread already OP. You're spoiled for choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Has anyone mentioned Philip K Dick yet?

Also Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan
    Just finished "Our Friends From Frolix 8" by PKD - was really quite funny.

Sirens of Titan was a smashing read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I really enjoyed Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan, though I'm not too sure if Sci-Fi purists would like it as much though.

If you like crime fiction, it will probably appeal to you. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, though I've haven't made much of an effort - so this could be a good one to transition over a little.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why not try one of Philip K. Dick's collection of short stories? Lots of interesting ideas in them and the science is never too heavy, which might be welcoming if you're just getting into the genre.

I'll second 'Dune' - great book and lots of philosophy in there too. I enjoy the sequels but the philosophy gets quite heavy.

Also I'd agree with 'Hyperion' which is a modern classic. Fiendish plots and written on a large scale, one of the great space operas.

Once you've gotten through the classics and want to look at some of the current authors out there, I'd recommend Peter F. Hamilton ('Night's Dawn' trilogy is long but very accessible), Alastair Reynolds and Richard Morgan. If you like the science angle, try Greg Bear as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I'm a Philip K. Dick fan. "A scanner darkly" and "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" two of the best I've read so far also the Minority report volume of short stories is very good.

I can't really read anything like William Gibson because the language used is way too jargonic...

Ubik and The man in the high castle are on my list aswell....issac asimov is fantastic aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I strongly agree that Dune, The Man in the High Castle (PKD) and the culture novels (banks) are excellent.
    PKD and Clarke are fairly prolific writers and imo the quality of their writing varies a great deal.
    Asimov was my favourite writer when I was a kid but I found his stories very predictable after a while.
    I was surprised that I didn't like the Gap series much, apart from the first book, because I really liked some of the fantasy and crime fiction that Donaldson wrote. I thought Angus Thermopylae was a very strong character though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson are also some of the best books I have ever read...
    +100, also just as an aside, did you notice the parallels between the Warden Dios character and Norse legends? One eyed Warden=Wotan, Hashi=Huginn, Min=Muninn (the two ravens on his shoulder). Legendary books. I can honestly say I wish I had never read them, just so I could have the sheer pleasure of reading them again for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

For a nice introduction to the wounderful world that is Mr kurt vonnegut I would suggest Timequake. It is a fantastic story of everybody having to relive that last tem years of life knowing excatly what will happen but being powerless to stop/change any outcomes.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/6422/rev0834.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Another great Sci-Fi classic to recommend is Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris". The films, particularly the Hollywood remake of the Russian original don't do it justice.

As in all great Sci-Fi, and Philip K Dick particularly does this well too, it sets you thinking far and wide beyond its original premise. In "Solaris" human space exploration leads us to encounter a planet where the entire planet appears to be a single living organism. Furthermore it tries to communicate with us; by manipulating our perception of reality to appear to bring dead loved ones back to life.

This bare bones description can't adequately explain what becomes a fascinating open ended philosophical investigation on communication and the essence of humanness.

I can honestly say that in a lifetime of reading hundreds (thousands ?) of novels, this may be the greatest novel of ideas i've ever read, IMHO it a truly great book in the annals of literature, not just Sci-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oponodon

I am reading a brilliant SF book at the moment. Old Mans War by John Scalzi. Its about the future human military, the CDF (colonial defence forces) who no-one on earth really knows about. when people turn 75 years old, they join the military for the promise that they will be made young again. They join, and are taken by skip drive to the human colonies (who no-one else on earth knows about again, the CDF is the only organisation that can get into interstellar space)

This guy, john perry, signs up for his two year service.

I wont spoil anything else, but i will say that there are alot of alien species who want the colonies that the earth has.

Also, i found out about this book through amazon.com. They have huge sections with books from almost every genre. (inc. SF) search for a book, and it gives you loads of reviews, and tells you about similar books. After a while, it learns your preferences, and actually recomends things to you that it would think you'd like. (thats actually how i found out about this book)

Whenever i find something i like, i take down the name, and check it out of the library. Its a good system. :pac: (for me anyway, not for amazon....)

EDIT: even if its not really SF, Jurrasic park by micheal crichton is a must read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

BossArky wrote: »
    Try "The Nights' Dawn" Trilogoy by Peter F.Hamiliton. It is probably too new to be considered classic sci-fi right now. Great stuff!

A classic the minute it was committed to paper..best space opera I've ever read! David Zindell's Neverness is superb, classy sci-fi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

VALIS by Philip K Dick alongside his others mentioned earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Iain M Banks culture novels are pretty amazing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If cyberpunk is your think, have a look at this list. There's some great books there, but the ones I'd recommend most are anything by William Gibson, Snow crash by Neal Stephenson and the Mirrorshades anthology of cyberpunk short stories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement