Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone miracle: have BT been lying to me?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

A few months ago my phone stopped working, just went dead, but my broadband was fine. BT said they tested the line and there seemed to be a problem but then changed their mind and said the problem must be my wiring. I wasn't sure. I only have a single socket, nothing plugged into it is faulty - the modem worked, the phone didn't.

So then last week my exchange is upgraded and suddenly the phone starts working again. Coincidence?

I'm guessing the problem that BT disowned and refused to fix was in fact their responsibility all along but does anyone with a bit of technical know-how think I have a firm case here? Or any idea of what the problem might have been? I've been paying line rental on a dead phone line for months and haven't been happy about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If your phone line was dead I dont see how you would be getting broadband, from your post i assume both are with the same company as you havent stated otherwise. Also if thats true then you would need to pay line rental to have the line to be able to get broadband in the first place as you need the line to have your broadband, you cant really argue you have been paying line rental for nothing if your broadband has been running off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Axwell wrote: »
    ..you cant really argue you have been paying line rental for nothing if your broadband has been running off it.

Line rental primarily covers voice services, not all lines are guaranteed to work for DSL. The OP has a valid complaint, though broadband worked the OP could not make phone calls.

This could have been an exchange problem, voice & data are separated & the data side might have been OK.

I've heard of BT doing this to other customers, saying there is nothing wrong with the line, saying it's your wiring, etc, then the fault gets fixed several weeks later (by Eircom).

Unfortunately, BT do not know the meaning of customer service (I was a former BT customer, I can vouch for this), the OP should lodge a formal complaint, first with BT, then with the regulator.

I expect the OP will get no satisfaction until they decide to move to another supplier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a loose wire in the eircom exchange , the wire from the exchange to the house is fine otherwise there would be no bb .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Exact same thing keeps happening to me with UTV talk. i have no phone line but BB is working fine.

i have had an eircom engineer out twice but it has happened again.

I am at a loss, so i am cancelling my phone line. No point in paying for a dead line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

This happened to a friend of mine, I think it turned out his cats thought the phone point in his house was their eh, "territory". How that only affected the phone (BB kept working) I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sterzlr

In terms of phone not working and broadband working - this is definitely possible. I'm from Australia and have been watching the broadband industry over there - you can now purchase what they call "Naked DSL" - broadband without the phone line voice enabled. You still use the existing phone line that is in the house, but it's not enabled for voice through one of the carries like Telstra etc - therefore no line rental charge, just your broadband charge.

sterzlr wrote: »
    In terms of phone not working and broadband working - this is definitely possible. I'm from Australia and have been watching the broadband industry over there - you can now purchase what they call "Naked DSL" - broadband without the phone line voice enabled. You still use the existing phone line that is in the house, but it's not enabled for voice through one of the carries like Telstra etc - therefore no line rental charge, just your broadband charge.

That is possible and some companies will give on request to business users. This isn't the same thing though. This is a fault that was never rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sterzlr

Fair point.....but it does now beg the question why the existing companies aren't offering broadband to general public without line rental costs. Just ripping us off I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

you can get broadband as long as you have a phone line

I am with eircom my bill was not paid long story so they cut me off i have my broadband with irish broadband and while i was cut off i was still able to use my broadband it might b worth not paying for the phone line any more as i only have the phone line so i can get the net

sterzlr wrote: »
    Fair point.....but it does now beg the question why the existing companies aren't offering broadband to general public without line rental costs. Just ripping us off I guess....

That's exactly it. They're all voice companies and want to sell the voice product with it's associated line rental. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement