Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Alun wrote: »
    I think the only difference between the 2500 and the 2501 is a couple of extra programs for rye bread. There's a 2502 as well IIRC that has a yeast dispenser on top of that.

Thing is that the breadmaker is a one stop shop, chuck in all the ingredients, switch it on and forget. If you're using your Kenwood to knead the dough, you'll still have to wait around for dough to rise, re-knead, rise again etc. and you'll be using your normal oven, which may use more electricity than the breadmaker's due to it's size. Now, if you're going to be at home anyway, using the oven for other baking, and have time on your hands that may not be a problem, only you can tell :)

Well, I'm never one to deny myself kitchen appliances so I would love to get the breadmaker anyway - I just thought I should put some thought into it before rushing out! :P It does sound like using my mixer would still be a bit of work, and I have a baby on the way so probably need the easiest option if I'm going to stick with making my own bread.

I might just get the 2501 if that is the difference because I actually really love Rye bread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I have a baby on the way so probably need the easiest option if I'm going to stick with making my own bread.
    In that case I'd say treat yourself to the breadmaker :)
    You can throw everything in and have your bread freshly cooked by the morning. You're not going to have the time or energy for all that kneading etc for a while after the baby is born.

In that case I'd say treat yourself to the breadmaker :)
    You can throw everything in and have your bread freshly cooked by the morning. You're not going to have the time or energy for all that kneading etc for a while after the baby is born.

Yeah, it definitely makes sense. Looking forward to purchasing it now. :D Thanks for advice all.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Yeah, it definitely makes sense. Looking forward to purchasing it now. :D Thanks for advice all.

We have the 2501. Made some compote for the first time earlier. Machine is now loaded for its near nightly activities.

We've a selection of flours; strong white, wholemeal, coarse wholemeal, spelt, wholemeal spelt and then oatmeal, seeds and nuts that end up in the machine. We use honey, treacle or sugar depending on what we're making. Spelt, rye, treacle and seeds is a popular bread, being pretty much a meal in itself, rather than a sandwich bread.

Have also started adding leftover cooked rice to bread. All works, very few 'duds'. Once forgot to put the 'blade' in. Ooops.

Other than that, we simply could not be happier with our machine. Basically idiot proof and very satisfying!

We've had the 2501 for 18 months now.

DFD.

Great - I'm really looking forward to giving it a go now. I ordered it (the 2501) off Amazon yesterday for €120 so it'll be here in a week or two and I'll be on a bread mission :)

I have a few months before baby gets here to perfect it so I can do it without thinking when I'm sleep deprived!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Great - I'm really looking forward to giving it a go now. I ordered it (the 2501) off Amazon yesterday for €120 so it'll be here in a week or two and I'll be on a bread mission :)

I have a few months before baby gets here to perfect it so I can do it without thinking when I'm sleep deprived!

That's £120 sterling rather than euro ?
    It's €147 in powercity at the moment which is about a fiver more but immediate availability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Planet X wrote: »
    Recommend me a good one please. About to take the plunge and buy one. Browned (excuse pun) off with shop sliced pans etc.
    Some threads recommend Panasonic ones. Want a good one.
    Cheers.

My poor wife used to bake her own sliced pan back in the old house. I'd give anything for them days again.

twerg_85 wrote: »

That's £120 sterling rather than euro ?
    It's €147 in powercity at the moment which is about a fiver more but immediate availability.

No, I got it for €120 - so worth the wait for it to be delivered imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

what yeast are you guys using and where are you buying it?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Either McDougalls or Tesco's own brand dried active yeast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

You can throw everything in and have your bread freshly cooked by the morning.
    Ya... rookie mistake right there. :D

When you wake up at 3 in the morning to a beautiful smell of baking bread filtering around the house, you'll know what I mean.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gosub wrote: »
    Ya... rookie mistake right there. :D

When you wake up at 3 in the morning to a beautiful smell of baking bread filtering around the house, you'll know what I mean.;)

Er, no. I've had my breadmaker for years and I use the handy timer :)
    Unless of course there's milk or eggs in the recipe - then I make it while I'm awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

Would like to buy a breadmaker for baking mainly wholemeal loaves, some white loaves as well.
    I have looked at reviews and the panasonic 2500 looks like the best but it is so expensive.
    Does anyone have the LIDL one (which is a third of the price i think) and how does it compare?
    thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

mary1978 wrote: »
    Would like to buy a breadmaker for baking mainly wholemeal loaves, some white loaves as well.
    I have looked at reviews and the panasonic 2500 looks like the best but it is so expensive.
    Does anyone have the LIDL one (which is a third of the price i think) and how does it compare?
    thanks

I had the Lidl one and it was fine for €50. I bought the Panasonic 2502 recently and it is a better breadmaker from the point of view of the separate yeast and raisin/ingredient container. It also (only having one blade as opposed to the Lidl one's two) tears the bread far less when it comes out of the pan.

The bread also appears lighter (for the same recipes) from the Panasonic, but then it does take an hour longer for the basic cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Does the lidl one have a timer? For me thats the most important feature and is worth paying extra for, as most breads take at least 5 hours.

I have the panasonic 2502 (the one with the nut dispenser) and I love it, money well spent in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

The Lidl one does have a timer, but I think the Panasonic one is far superior in build quality.

My breadmaker arrived last week and has been getting a lot of use - it's fab. My husband came home early from work today to have lunch at home and there was warm bread waiting for him. It's like heaven!

My local supermarket only has the strong white flour though so I need to track down brown (we generally don't eat white bread much). Also would love to get soya flour because I love soya and linseed bread and want to make that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My local supermarket only has the strong white flour though so I need to track down brown

A few people have mentioned on this forum that Dunnes Stores stock Wholewheat strong flour. Tesco and Superquinn dont seem to have it.

Some SuperValus have a British brand called Allinsons which is very good . They do rye and granary a few other nice strong flours.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I would recommend a Panasonic breadmaker to anyone considering one. I've spoken to a few people who have gone for different machines and have yet to hear of another machine which is remotely as good.
    I'm on my second Panasonic. The first one somehow managed to fall off the counter and smash on the floor.
    They also make great pizza dough, on my first attempt I made a base to rival one from Pizza Express. The second attempt wasn't so successful when I accidentally used ordinary plain flour! Fingers crossed for third time around...

• Advertisement

Great - will look in Dunnes soon for the wholewheat. I need to order it in bulk online really. I see that amazon do big bags - are the postage on these crazy expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually, despite having found it in Dunnes previously, my wife reported that they no longer had it (either that or she was looking in the wrong place, which isn't entirely impossible!) so beware. Our current source is Sainsbury's own brand from up north, which is handy for us as she goes up there regularly on business, but might not be convenient for most.

Somewhere on here I seem to remember there's a post from a fellow breadmaker fan who ordered some Dove Farms (?) flour of Amazon, and apparently it wasn't too bad delivery wise. Might be worth doing a search.

Actually, despite having found it in Dunnes previously, my wife reported that they no longer had it (either that or she was looking in the wrong place, which isn't entirely impossible!) so beware. Our current source is Sainsbury's own brand from up north, which is handy for us as she goes up there regularly on business, but might not be convenient for most.

Somewhere on here I seem to remember there's a post from a fellow breadmaker fan who ordered some Dove Farms (?) flour of Amazon, and apparently it wasn't too bad delivery wise. Might be worth doing a search.

Mmm, I need to do some research because I can't keep eating all this white bread (tasty as it is!). Thanks for the update!

I bought coarse wholemeal flour when I did my online shop because I thought it might be the same thing but it looks like it's for soda bread and not suitable for yeast breads (according to the packet). I might try it anyway and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭positron

I bought this Bacheldre Watermill Organic Stoneground Strong 100% Wholemeal Flour from Amazon. That page shows 4 packs, each pack 1.5 kg. 6 Kilos in total for £7.96, shipping is free if your total order is over £25, which is what I did. Really nice flour.

MurdyWurdy, M&S also does strong wholemeal flour, just in case if you are near one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I was in Dunnes the other day & saw some bread mix packets branded 'Waitrose' :confused:

positron wrote: »
    I bought this Bacheldre Watermill Organic Stoneground Strong 100% Wholemeal Flour from Amazon. That page shows 4 packs, each pack 1.5 kg. 6 Kilos in total for £7.96, shipping is free if your total order is over £25, which is what I did. Really nice flour.

MurdyWurdy, M&S also does strong wholemeal flour, just in case if you are near one of them.

Thanks - I picked up a bag in m and s in Dundrum today. I would have bought more but there was only one bag left! The flour you bought on Amazon looks like a good deal. It was definitely a lot more expensive than that at m&s today and as I said, there was only one bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

0lddog wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes the other day & saw some bread mix packets branded 'Waitrose' :confused:

That's actually quite nice. Picked some up as they were half price - 0.74€ Great when you are out and want the kids to put on a loaf :confused: Dunnes has started to stock quite a few Waitrose branded items at the end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

I make brown loaves all the time. 5 cups of strong white to 1 cup of course wholemeal. It needs a little bit more dried yeast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭positron

Ah is that how you get fluffy brown bread - by using mostly white? Every time I tried 50:50 brown and it turned rather thick and heavy, and I have finally settled for 70:30 white and brown, with a pinch of Vitamin C. It's still not as fluffy as your average white bread, but not too heavy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

positron wrote: »
    Ah is that how you get fluffy brown bread - by using mostly white?.........

IIRC my Panny has a "French" setting which provides a very long rise time. This combined with "Dark" crust and some non standard ingredients ( e.g. caraway seeds ) has produced many an interesting loaf.

Advertisement