Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merged with Breadmaker thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Biggest waste of money ever.

You can make bread (all kinds) with your two hands.
    One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning is bake bread.

It is and it isn't. Can your hands go away on their own in the middle of the night and make the bread for you, so that you will have them ready for you get out of the bed? :p

/ Sorry for being cheeky, I couldn't resist :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is like to get away from store bought bread and bake out own from 100% wholemeal flour, natural live yogurt, seeds etc

Argos have bread makers ranging in price from €50 to €200 but I've no idea what spec is good, what I should be looking for etc.

Would appreciate some tips and advice.

Do Aldi sell them from time to time? If so are they any good?
    I bought a Russell Hobbs one from Argos last summer. It overheated. I took it back and got another one. It wouldn't switch on. I brought it back and got my money back.

I didn't bother buying another one, and since then I've been making bread by hand, using a recipe where you only have to knead for five minutes. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Any where around north county Dublin doing decent strong white flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we've had a few bread makers, the one we have now, is the best ever. We have had it for a year and its producing excellent loaves consistantly. Its a PANASONIC SD-2500 (think there is a newer model out now, which allows one to add nuts/seeds etc - this model doesnt 'beep' when its time to add stuff... minor moan)

rje66 wrote: »
    Any where around north county Dublin doing decent strong white flour?

Avoca in Rathcoole has DOVEs flour - good for bread machines.

You can order MARRIAGES and DOVES flours from AMAZON

We make only our own bread in a bread machine, and have found the best solution - for I think €6 delivery, you can order MARRIAGES and DOVES strong flours - including French (grade) flour and Malt and other fab things - from a mill in Bennetsbridge - see http://kellswholemeal.ie/aboutus.html
    Its got a little visitors shop, when you can go (after having visited Mosses Pottery for a browse and lunch!) and look at and buy some stuff to try. The chap who runs the shop is very helpful and accomodating. We currently buy strong white, strong wholemeal, malted, french flours there. They have pretty big bags, but if you make a lot of bread like we do, you get thru it pretty quickly

Perhaps I am preaching to the converted, but decent deal on Panasonic SD-2500 on Amazon, just for today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RTJWMC?tag=hotukdeals03-21

This is the model we have - we've had a few breadmakers - and we're really pleased with it - makes an excellent loaf. Good price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

positron wrote: »
    Perhaps I am preaching to the converted, but decent deal on Panasonic SD-2500 on Amazon, just for today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RTJWMC?tag=hotukdeals03-21
    good machine for a good. price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

deandean wrote: »
    good machine for a good. price.

Was the delivery to Ireland expensive?

Amazon.co.uk has FREE shipping option to Republic if the order total is over £25 (as long as the item is sold or fulfilled by Amazon).

I can't afford the Panasonic version, can anyone recommend a medium price range one? Amazon have the Morphy Richards one for 48 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I can't afford the Panasonic version, can anyone recommend a medium price range one? Amazon have the Morphy Richards one for 48 pounds.

Keep an eye out for Aldi's specials, they come around occasionally. We bought one last year (€39.99) and it makes lovely bread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lidl have one next Monday. I don't know what it's like to use, but it's probably similar to the Aldi one.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36658

Lidl have one next Monday. I don't know what it's like to use, but it's probably similar to the Aldi one.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36658

Ah don't have an Lidl near, I will have to wait for the Aldi one.

Amazon Deal of the day: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WB95JD6

Panasonic SD-2511B, approx £85, about 110 euro. Strangely listing says it can't ship to Ireland, so perhaps you may have to go thru the ParcelMotel route.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

aonb wrote: »
    Avoca in Rathcoole has DOVEs flour - good for bread machines.
    My tesco does doves flour, not sure what types.

Do you used dried milk in your break maker, if so where do you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Those of you who order strong flour in bulk from amazon, which brand do you buy? I currently use tesco own brand, which is €1.85 for 1.5kg but would be willing to order from amazon if it worked out cheaper. Also, what ratio of strong flour to ordinary flour do you use? I normally do 2 thirds strong flour and 1 third plain flour and I think it works ok for me.

• Advertisement

we buy our flour in bulk from KELLS MILLS - in Bennettsbridge. Its a really excellent price (cant remember off the top of my head what it costs, but we did a huge amount of research, and find what we get in KellsMills to be really cost effective. We use Marriages flour from there - they do a french flour, and various other flours, all excellent. We use the Golden Crust in our bread machine.I like to go there to pick up some extra bits - they do small buckets of seeds, bags of mixes (their flapjacks and brownies are excellent) - its a little shop, and the staff are very helpful. They do all sorts for the bread/cake maker. I thinkj its something like €6 or €8 to have a delivery if you order over €30 worth - give them a call - or check their website kellswholemeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I buy 16Kg sacks of Doves strong white from Amazon. I don't know how they manage free delivery but they do!

TBH I have tried many strong white flours and I don't notice any difference in taste. If you have a Musgraves card you can pick up a 20kg sack of strong white for about 26 euro and I find it is as good as any of the other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

If you want to buy bulk flour in Ireland it has to be Kells. The French flours are €25 for 25kg and they don't come in smaller than 25kg bags. I assume all their other flours are around similar prices. As for shipping it's €7 to anywhere in Ireland.

Anyone ordering flour off Amazon or other websties should definitely consider using Kells firstly it will probably work out cheaper and secondly to support Irish jobs and industry.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    If you want to buy bulk flour in Ireland it has to be Kells. The French flours are €25 for 25kg and they don't come in smaller than 25kg bags. I assume all their other flours are around similar prices. As for shipping it's €7 to anywhere in Ireland.

Anyone ordering flour off Amazon or other websties should definitely consider using Kells firstly it will probably work out cheaper and secondly to support Irish jobs and industry.

The nice guy who works the shop in KELLS MILLS used to put the 25kg bag of flour into smaller bags for us. Whether he was there/not last time we bought our huge bags (25kg) flour, I cant remember, but we got several of the small bags from them, empty, and transferred the big bag of flour into several of the small bags for easy storage

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

I have just unearthed a Lidl Bifinett breadmaker from my attic that was passed on to me & wondering if anyone has a copy of the manual? I have looked online but no luck. Model KH2231.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

kimokanto wrote: »
    I have just unearthed a Lidl Bifinett breadmaker from my attic that was passed on to me & wondering if anyone has a copy of the manual? I have looked online but no luck. Model KH2231.

I haven't got one so might be wrong....

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/89587/Kompernass-Kh-2231.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Forgot to ask my own question yesterday, so, i have a panasonic 2511, (recipes seem to be near identical to the 2501/2) i've made a few weeks of various bread from the manual, turns out lovely.

I got a couple of bread machine recipe books, they seem to have the ingredients reversed water first then flour, but they say do wet and dry in the order your instructions say, which is fine, turns out lovely.

But all the recipes (in the books) say to keep the sugar / honey seperate from the salt, do you do that in the panasonic? I've been building a little flour tower in the middle and putting the salt on one side and the sugar on the other, or do you just lob them into the water? (as far as i can tell the really important bit is keep the yeast away from water )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks like the latest version of the one I have and it's excellent. The only thing I will say about this is that it doesn't have the automatic nut/raisin/seed dispenser, for that you have to go up a grade (and a few quid too). Mine has the dispenser and it's great - otherwise you have to add them during the process because they go in at the second proving.

This is the one with the dispenser:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SD-2501-WXC-Automatic-Breadmaker/dp/B004RTJWMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468924235&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+sd+2501

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »

we have had the Panasonic sd2500 for a couple of years. Think its the third or fourth breadmaker we have owned, this one we are very pleased with, and would recommend for the quality of the bread it produces

Advertisement