Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The whole milk thing is really all up to to the person making the bread. If you're hoping to replace a white loaf then you'll have to add milk (IMHO) to obtain the expected result. The milk will ensure that you end up with a more tender loaf that you'll be more familiar with.

Here in France milk is never added to the mix so when I'm trying to produce a loaf like I'd get in the local bakery I don't add any.

A Yahoo! Answers page said that fresh milk used in baking needs first to be scalded before added to the mix. The whole point of using powered milk means that you don't need to go through this stage. Using UHT milk also avoids the need to scald the milk first.

So if you want bread that Irish people are used to eating than you need milk. You use either fresh milk that you scald first or for no other reason then to save time, you use powered milk.

These links explain it well :

http://www.ochef.com/1078.htm

http://kitchensavvy.typepad.com/journal/2005/05/scalding_milk.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, from what I've read the effect of adding milk is down to the proteins (casein) in the milk apparently. Anyway, note that not all the recipes in the book delivered with my Panasonic contain milk .. none of the French or Italian style loaves contain it for example which would tie in with what Ponster said about it making the bread more "tender". It's noteworthy also that what the recipe book calls a "sandwich loaf" has more milk powder than the normal recipes, 1.5 tbsp as opposed to 1 tbsp, and the book describes this loaf as having a "soft crust and close texture", so maybe that's it, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

Planet X wrote: »
    I'll go for it I think. Saw one in Debenhams this morning, Panasonic 255. Euro 155. Seems the latest edition.
    Thanks for the recommendations Alun.

Does anyone know where you can buy this besides Argos? I've been trying in my local store for the past few weeks to no avail, then I checked every store in Ireland online - none of them have this in stock. I called the customer line and they said they don't know when it will be back in....
    They do have the SD253 in stock and it is €30 cheaper but I want the nut/fruit dispenser which is only in the newer model (SD255).

Any help appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks for that, just ordered it....and it is €20 cheaper than in argos, even with delivery cost:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 franontheedge

Alun wrote: »
    My experience (with my machine anyway) is that the rapid bake loaves don't usually turn out as well as the normal ones. For wholemeal, I generally either do the 70/30 or the 50/50 mix rather than 100% wholemeal, as it gives a better texture to my mind.

Some other ones out of the recipe book I got with mine (which I assume hasn't changed much!) that I really like are the 5-Seeded bread (I use a plastic tub of Jan's Five Seed Mix I got from Dunne's instead of mixing the individual seeds), the Tomato Foccacia (with sundried tomatoes and green olives), and the Cheese and Bacon loaf (especially nice toasted :yum:).

Dear Alun,

I too feel the same about the 5-seeded bread recipe. Unfortunately I have lost my recipe book, and I can't find it online anywhere.

Is there any chance you could let me have the recipe for it?

I've got no money until at least the end of the week but I have got my bread oven and all the ingredients.

It's just typical that I haven't got the recipe book.

Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I just ordered one too!!!

Paddyblue has yours arrived yet, and if so have you made any nice bread??

Dying to get mine :D

I meant no money to buy bread, or even butter!

I'd buy a new breadmaker if I could afford it... but that may be going too far, just to get the recipes back.

I just ordered one too!!!

Paddyblue has yours arrived yet, and if so have you made any nice bread??

Dying to get mine :D

Mine arrived after a few days - even sooner than I expected, in perfect nick too so have to say I was impressed with their service.

So far I've been making only rye/spelt bread (one of the main reasons I bought this particular machine was because of the Rye function, which is also used for baking Spelt bread btw).
    The first time I used 100% Rye flour and the loaf collapsed and was very wet, so it went into the bin.
    The second & third times I used 60% wholegrain spelt flour & 40% white spelt flour - the bread turned out perfectly both times, much better than how I baked Spelt bread the old fashioned way (oven) - which wasn't very often cos it took so mch time & effort.

I've been away for the last two weeks so not had the chance to try any of the other recepies yet. But have to say so far so good......

Dear Alun,

I too feel the same about the 5-seeded bread recipe. Unfortunately I have lost my recipe book, and I can't find it online anywhere.

Is there any chance you could let me have the recipe for it?

I've got no money until at least the end of the week but I have got my bread oven and all the ingredients.

It's just typical that I haven't got the recipe book.

Please?
    Sorry, only just seen this ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Glad to hear the bread is turning out nicely, my first loaf rose then totally collapsed but I realised I had put in 3 to 4 teaspoons of yeast rather than 3/4 of a teaspoon...

Then made a loaf od sundried tomato and parmesan bread which turned out beautifully, made a nice homemade soup with it. It's so nice cos it makes the whole house smell like freshly baked bread, yummmmmm

One question though, none of my recipes include milk powder? Even the recipe for the 5 seed bread is exactly the same but with no milk powder, is there a reason for this? Do the newer models exclude milk powder in the recipes?

Glad to hear the bread is turning out nicely, my first loaf rose then totally collapsed but I realised I had put in 3 to 4 teaspoons of yeast rather than 3/4 of a teaspoon...

Then made a loaf od sundried tomato and parmesan bread which turned out beautifully, made a nice homemade soup with it. It's so nice cos it makes the whole house smell like freshly baked bread, yummmmmm

One question though, none of my recipes include milk powder? Even the recipe for the 5 seed bread is exactly the same but with no milk powder, is there a reason for this? Do the newer models exclude milk powder in the recipes?

None of the ingredients in my recepie book (that came with the bread machine) contain milk powder

paddyblue wrote: »
    None of the ingredients in my recepie book (that came with the bread machine) contain milk powder
    I just had a look on the Panasonic website, and you can download the user manuals for both the older SD-253 that I have, and the newer SD-254 and -255 models.

Indeed, in the newer manual no mention is made of the use of milk powder, but there is a mention in the earlier part of the manual that states that you can replace some of the water in the recipes with milk (i.e. fresh milk, not powder) if you want.

However that's not all .. some of the other quantities are quite different as well.

Take the medium sized 70% wholemeal recipe which is the one I make the most. For my machine, it says to use 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar and 300 ml water, whereas the SD-255 recipe uses 3/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp sugar (i.e. 1/3 as much!) and 280ml water.

Odd.

I wonder if that is because of the way each different version of breadmachine makes bread differently - or did the Panasonic kitchen only recently discover that milk powder isn't necessary?

P.S. - you can even get the manuals and recipe book all in one for my SD251, which is probably even older - and has no nut & seed dispenser - you need a beep!

P.P.S. Made the bread, thanks for the help.

I wonder if that is because of the way each different version of breadmachine makes bread differently - or did the Panasonic kitchen only recently discover that milk powder isn't necessary?
    I've no idea .. I'm considering penning an email to Panasonic to ask them if I get around to it.

It would certainly be interesting to know because I have a feeling that at one time someone at the Panasonic Kitchen said that the recipes for the different machines were interchangeable, i.e. I could use a recipe from the 255 in my 251.

But I could be mistaken about that, it was about a year ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have a bread maker but have a question.
    You put in all the ingredients and it does it all and that's great.
    But one major downside with mine is that when the bread is ready you have to remove the metal mixer out of the bread leaving a large hole. Does anyone find that this is a total downside to these machines.

I think that for the convenience of not having to kneed the dough or remember to go back and kneed it again after waiting for it to rise, then leaving it to rise again and then having to remember to pop it into the oven at the right time..... I think that little slit is a small enough price to pay for all that taken off your hands.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't dash out and buy a new one if they managed to make one with a retractable blade.

kmick wrote: »
    I have a bread maker but have a question.
    You put in all the ingredients and it does it all and that's great.
    But one major downside with mine is that when the bread is ready you have to remove the metal mixer out of the bread leaving a large hole. Does anyone find that this is a total downside to these machines.
    Not on mine, really. It's relatively small, and it only really affects one or two slices out of the middle. A small price to pay for cheap, freshly made bread, I'd say.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't dash out and buy a new one if they managed to make one with a retractable blade.
    I seem to remember that there was one breadmaker that had a kind-of retractable blade. It was actually hinged and only rotated in one direction when mixing. Just before the baking cycle started it just did a quick little turn in the opposite direction, and so lay flat during the baking. No idea now which one it was.

• Advertisement

I seem to remember that there was one breadmaker that had a kind-of retractable blade. It was actually hinged and only rotated in one direction when mixing. Just before the baking cycle started it just did a quick little turn in the opposite direction, and so lay flat during the baking. No idea now which one it was.

I wonder if that is a currently available model, or if it's gone out of production... a blade that only rotates in one direction (didn't know the others went in two!) may mean it wouldn't mix as well, and thus not produce such a good bake as other machines... would be interesting to find out.

I mean it would be interesting to talk to anyone who has such a machine - get their opinion on the quality of the bake, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its a bit of a deal breaker for me to be honest as it affects about 50% of the loaf. Only option is to turn it out into a bread tin once ready I suppose.

I wonder if that is a currently available model, or if it's gone out of production... a blade that only rotates in one direction (didn't know the others went in two!) may mean it wouldn't mix as well, and thus not produce such a good bake as other machines... would be interesting to find out.

I mean it would be interesting to talk to anyone who has such a machine - get their opinion on the quality of the bake, etc.
    Had a quick Google and found this one, but it's on the Australian site, not on the equivalent .co.uk site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Alun,
    Tried the bread roll dough mix, either white or 70/30 mix brown? It's superb. The rolls are even better than Cuisine De france rolls you get half baked. Kids love them for lunch. They disappear instantly. Hot Dogs.........mmmmm

Alun,
    Tried the bread roll dough mix, either white or 70/30 mix brown? It's superb. The rolls are even better than Cuisine De france rolls you get half baked. Kids love them for lunch. They disappear instantly. Hot Dogs.........mmmmm
    No I haven't, in fact I rarely use the dough only option, mainly because I'm lazy .. sounds good though. Do they come out with a nice crispy crust as well?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Baked in the oven. Depends on temp and glaze I reckon. But you should give it a go.

Had a quick Google and found this one, but it's on the Australian site, not on the equivalent .co.uk site.

er..... which one? Did you mean to post a link or a pic? I don't see anything.

Planet X,

Haven't tried rolls, I may give it a go next week, just had a lecture - which hurt my neck, and then an engineer delivered a new PC plus other stuff and he was here for nearly 5 hours, during all of which I could neither lie down and rest my neck - cos the bed was piled with big boxes, nor sit in my special chair, cos he needed to be there to install everything - so ouch!

I ain't doing notin' else tonight!

Like the sound of those rolls though.... mmmmm!

er..... which one? Did you mean to post a link or a pic? I don't see anything.
    Oops!

http://www.breville.com.au/products_results.asp?div=1&cat=7&subcat=

There's two on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Kids even like the bread. My son says that brown sliced pans you buy in the stores are........ "Michael Jackson Bread" ...neither brown nor white.

:D

... tried making brownbread yesterday but it was a disaster so thought I'd check here for some tips.... machines FTW - going to get me one of these this week.

• Advertisement

Er...yearse... um it's going to have to go on my Xmas list - in the vain hope that I'll suddenly acquire a rich uncle who'll get one for me.

Lol

Thanks for posting the link.

Advertisement