Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm reviving this old thread to report back.

I have been using a Morphy-Richards breadmaker for a while, and the results were never very good. I resorted to using it to make dough, and finished the operation by knocking the dough back, proving it, and oven-baking it. That meant that I was doing half the work. So I found myself using the machine less and less.

Today my Panasonic SD-255 arrived. I gave it a very lazy test -- a prepared multi-grain mix from Lidl. It did a great job. I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I got a Panasonic SD 255 and have to say I don't think I could live without it now. Shop bought loaves just don't compare, and the smell of the bread baking is so good!

Not very labour intensive at all, just measure the ingredients and throw them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Glad you're all happy with your Panasonic breadmakers. Sometimes spending a bit more money does indeed pay dividends!

To make it even faster, rather than measuring each item separately and then adding to the pan, a bit of a time saving tip ... I measure everything out by weight in the pan itself placed on my digital kitchen scales.

Put the empty pan on the scales and zero the display, then add the flour until the display reads the required amount. Zero again. Add the butter in the same way. Zero again. Add the other dry ingredients using the spoon. Zero again. Add water (1g=1ml for water so that's easy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gordonrobb

Just got this machine, and it has been superb with the basic white (which is all I've done).

I'm interested in doing croissants, but dissapointed that you can't use the timer, so I can't get up in the morning and finish them off. Does anyone know a way to make the dough in advance? Can it be made the night before, and stored in the fridge or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yes. Dough can be stored in the fridge and/or frozen apparently. Never froze dough, cannot see the point.
    But, yes, store it in the fridge sealed in a plastic bag or Ziploc bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gordonrobb

Cheers, will give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

After saving up for a month (I'm quite the recessionista), I've just ordered my Panasonic SD255 from electricshopping.ie! I'm very excited and can't wait to get it. Can anyone recommend some ingredients to stock up on in advance of it's arrival? So far I have Odlumns Strong White, Coarse Wholemeal, dried yeast, raisins, sunflower/poppy seeds.

What else do I need?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A nice block of Cheddar. :pac::pac:
    Picalilly. Ham.:pac::pac::pac:
    Branston Pickle.

Eviledna wrote: »
    After saving up for a month (I'm quite the recessionista), I've just ordered my Panasonic SD255 from electricshopping.ie! I'm very excited and can't wait to get it. Can anyone recommend some ingredients to stock up on in advance of it's arrival? So far I have Odlumns Strong White, Coarse Wholemeal, dried yeast, raisins, sunflower/poppy seeds.

What else do I need?
    Thanks!
    There's a really nice recipe in the book I have with my older Panasonic for a bread with sundried tomatoes, green olives and passata. Don't know if it's in the new one.

Also in Dunnes you can get big tubs of 5-seed mix which is really handy and saves you having to have 5 different pots in the cupboard.

Mmm, that all sounds great, thanks for the tips!

Can't wait for the first big doorstep of homemade bread with a doorstep of cheese and pickle to go with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Rather astonishingly, Panasonic have discontinued the SD range of breadmakers in Australia. In spite of clamour from current bread bakers wanting to purchase a panasonic machine, the SD255 is not due to be sold in here.

Which is a damn shame, considering Panasonic appear to be light years ahead of the competitors in terms of how well their breadmaking technology works. And thus leaves me with a choice that appears to be Sunbeam. Anybody got a Sunbeam bread maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I just put in order for a panasonic. Looking forward to using it. I usually make dough with fresh yeast, i prefer it to active dry.
    Does the recipe book include fresh yeast specific recipes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been wanting one for ages and I finally bought a Panasonic SD255 this morning in Argos ....*does happy dance :)

It's halfway through baking a white loaf and I can't wait to taste it :D:D

I'm in Bread Heaven: Breaven?:D

Since my little Panny (yup I named it) came along I haven't bought bread, and I don't plan on it either! I've made quick white, slow white, oat and bran, cinnamon and raisin, all in the 5 days I've had it. It's not let me down once.

My only problem had been sourcing strong brown flour, can't get it anywhere, anyone have any ideas where to get it west of the shannon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lol, I'm in bread heaven too at the moment. I bought Odlum's strong wholemeal flour in Dunne's here in Dublin, but I bet it's pretty widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I'm in Galway and I get strong brown flour in Dunnes. They don't have it in every store though...

Mine was just dispatched today and i am looking forward to it. This bread heaven sounds great.
    Anybody have any ideas about the fresh yeast?
    I pick some up when i am in superquinn and it tastes a lot nicer than the active dry stuff imo.

senelra wrote: »
    I'm in Galway and I get strong brown flour in Dunnes. They don't have it in every store though...

Thanks senelra, could you tell me which Dunnes in Galway? I might get it there this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I have found that the bread mix in Tescos for 74c a 500g bag is great. It is cheaper than putting everything together yourself,when you factor in nearly €3 for yeast and the same again for milk powder. Just leave some on the shelves for me.

They've got a new range of German bread mixes in Lidl too. Just tried the Rustikales Vollkornbrot and it's pretty good I have to say. Makes a change to have some nice "solid" bread now and then.

• Advertisement

I made the chelsea buns yesterday - omg they're gorgeous!

Oh great news everyone, for me that is. My breadmaker arrives today.
    Cant wait until tomorrow to get it on the go. I must try those chelsea buns.

It takes quite a few hours to make a loaf so if I were you I'd put the ingredients in tonight and set it to have your bread baked by the morning (you have to take it out immediately when it's baked or it'll go soggy).

I'm setting mine tonight on the French setting (the loaf is really light and crusty) to have it baked by 12 tomorrow and cooled in time for lunch :)

I get Strong Wholemeal flour in Dunnes Briarhill. I get Strong White flour in Super Valu Fr Griffin Rd and in Joyces, Knocknacarra. I haven't tried Terryland Dunnes for either. I think Tesco might have Strong White flour sometimes too. Sorry for the delay in replying, Eviledna!

Any idea where to get fresh yeast in Galway?

Thanks Senelra, would you believe it was Terryland Dunnes that had it in the end! Both brown and white strong, was delighted!

As for the fresh yeast, you could try evergreens, or short of that ask in the likes of Griffins, they might be willing to sell you some?

Good idea! I checked Mortons and Joyce's for the fresh yeast, but no joy.

I got a LOAD of both strong wholemeal and strong white last time I shopped for them so I haven't been looking around lately. Good to know bout Dunnes Terryland tho, thanks!

Since it was delivered i have made four really nice loaves and one complete dud(strayed from the recipe).
    If anybody is reading here and trying to decide if they want one, then I suggest you go for it. You wont be frustrated by the easy to use functions and the instruction manual is excellent.
    I am getting some bakers yeast on sat and will let you know how it goes.
    Anybody try the croissants yet?

Edit
    Anybody know where to source strong flour by anybody other than odlums?
    I picked up some rye flou so will try that soon.

I'd also strongly recommend a breadmaker to anyone thinking of getting one. I can't believe how nice the bread is.
    Supervalu sell Allinson's strong white flour and it's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

kmick wrote: »
    Its a bit of a deal breaker for me to be honest as it affects about 50% of the loaf. Only option is to turn it out into a bread tin once ready I suppose.
    50%?
    Where did you get that information from?
    I thought it was only a thinish cut through a few slices at the bottom.

Anyway I ordered one from electricshopping.com. Missus does most of the cooking including cakes, and I usually make bread (by hand).

The manual can be found here http://dlc.panasonic-europe-service.com/EUDocs/GetDoc.aspx?did=152761&fmt=PDF&lang=en&src=3&uilang=en-GB&model=SD255 if you want to print out the most used recipe pages and laminate them.

• Advertisement

With the Panasonic it really is just a little cut through a couple of slices - once you've
    made a few loaves you just don't notice it any more.
    Thanks for the link boopolo, my manual's starting to look the worse for wear :)

Advertisement